Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2020, 06:37   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Capt Seeking 1st Mate/Cook for Charter out of George Town, Bahamas

Ahoy all, (If anyone can tell me how to delete previous similar ad please advise - I looked all over, don't see how)

I'm seeking a people-friendly crew mate with basic boating skills (or better) and a capable cook to serve as my lead assistant in operating charter on my 42' Lagoon sailing catamaran.

My boat will be primarily based out of George Town, Bahamas from Feb through May. I offer my two guest cabins via AirBnb/VRBO – as either BnB accommodations or Full Charter.

This is a paid position, tips sharing as well. Pay negotiable, depends on experience.

Please send a PM if interested. Share briefly your availability and interest. Send CV if you have. If it looks like a potential good fit we can Whatsapp or Skype to get acquainted.

Cheers,

Rob

ps: Please send a private message to respond.
psychfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 07:12   #2

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia
Re: Capt Seeking 1st Mate/Cook for Charter out of George Town, Bahamas

Employers who want to hire an expatriate for a position must advertise the position first so that eligible Bahamian citizens may apply. If the employer does not have any interested and qualified Bahamian applicants, the employer may request a labour certificate from the Labour Department for the expatriate.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 11:14   #3

Boat: Lagoon 420

I've spoken with the head of foreign charter permits in Nassau, perhaps you should get more informed regarding the class of charter provider I'm in Flying fin. I'm sure you mean to be helpful.
psychfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 12:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychfeld View Post
I've spoken with the head of foreign charter permits in Nassau, perhaps you should get more informed regarding the class of charter provider I'm in Flying fin. I'm sure you mean to be helpful.
So you're looking for someone who already has a work visa for the Bahamas or you're going to sponsor someone for a work visa or you expect them to get it on their own?
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 13:25   #5

Boat: Columbia 57

Pm sent
Dylan843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 09:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
So you're looking for someone who already has a work visa for the Bahamas or you're going to sponsor someone for a work visa or you expect them to get it on their own?
Charter crew do not need to get a work permit - it’s not a Bahamian business. Bahamas government takes a cut from the charter.
svigue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 10:22   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee

Hello
My name is John Shaw
My wife and I are moving to Georgetown in April
We are taking our 38 foot Cheoy Lee
I would love to be able to work while there

I haven't seriously sailed in many years. But they say it's like a bike
We are self funded ministers
336-345-9306
JRSHAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 10:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by svigue View Post
Charter crew do not need to get a work permit - it’s not a Bahamian business. Bahamas government takes a cut from the charter.
In that case the passengers can not originate in the Bahamas. The OP talks about running short charters out of Georgetown, those aren't going to fall under the foreign charter license unless he goes to FL or Turks and Caicos (more problems there) to pick up and drop off. If you're picking up your passengers in the Bahamas your crew are going to need Bahamian work visas.

Getting deported for violating work visa laws is no fun and has long term repercussions for any future travel outside the US. And I can tell you from having worked pretty extensively with them, the RBDF is pretty well equipped and trained as a side effect of the drug war, so it's probably one of the hardest places at least in the hemisphere to slip under the radar on a charter like that. Just want to make sure the folks getting visions of white sand beaches and warm weather while getting paid know what they're getting into and ask their own very specific questions of Bahamas Immigration or an immigration attorney. I.e. "I'll be working for pay on a foreign vessel embarking and debarking paying passengers in the Bahamas. Do I need a work visa?" Instead of relying on the assurances of someone with a bit of a conflict of interest who may have asked slightly less blunt questions in trying to convince themselves they could operate in a category they really maybe can't. Again, this is serious stuff, someone you don't know saying they "talked to the guy in charge and he said it was fine" isn't going to provide any cover for you when your ass is on the line.
Old 30-01-2020, 07:10   #9

Quote:
In that case the passengers can not originate in the Bahamas. The OP talks about running short charters out of Georgetown, those aren't going to fall under the foreign charter license unless he goes to FL or Turks and Caicos (more problems there) to pick up and drop off. If you're picking up your passengers in the Bahamas your crew are going to need Bahamian work visas.

Getting deported for violating work visa laws is no fun and has long term repercussions for any future travel outside the US. And I can tell you from having worked pretty extensively with them, the RBDF is pretty well equipped and trained as a side effect of the drug war, so it's probably one of the hardest places at least in the hemisphere to slip under the radar on a charter like that. Just want to make sure the folks getting visions of white sand beaches and warm weather while getting paid know what they're getting into and ask their own very specific questions of Bahamas Immigration or an immigration attorney. I.e. "I'll be working for pay on a foreign vessel embarking and debarking paying passengers in the Bahamas. Do I need a work visa?" Instead of relying on the assurances of someone with a bit of a conflict of interest who may have asked slightly less blunt questions in trying to convince themselves they could operate in a category they really maybe can't. Again, this is serious stuff, someone you don't know saying they "talked to the guy in charge and he said it was fine" isn't going to provide any cover for you when your ass is on the line.
You can absolutely begin and end your charter in the Bahamas as long as you have a foreign charter license (see below). It is illegal however to solicit business within the Bahamas - so for instance don’t put up flyers in the Exuma Market. A fee of 4% of the charter cost goes to the Port Department after the charter is completed. I worked in the Bahamas for 2 years on a family island (work permit required). I also crewed on a charter boat in the Bahamas for 3 years (no work permit required). The crew is essentially working for a foreign owned company and don’t need a work permit for a boat that travels to the Bahamas for a season.

The following is from the Government of the Bahamas - Port Department website:
Registering a Foreign Charter
It is a requirement of The Government of The Bahamas that all foreign charters secure a licence in order to utilise Bahamian waters. Most foreign charter applications to The Bahamas are from yachts seeking to explore our beautiful seas. To accommodate these ‘sun seekers’ the Port Department has simplified the chartering process as detailed below.

Eligibility
Non-Bahamian yacht owners.

Process
To registration for a Foreign Charter License the applicant must fill out and submit an application Form to the Port Department Office on New Providence or any of the other Port Department offices listed below.
The applicant must provide all supporting documents and pay the appropriate Boat Registration and Inspection Fees at the time that the application is submitted.
The Port Department evaluates the vessel to ensure that it has adequate crew and determine a limit the maximum amount of passengers that can be safely transported on boat.
The boat MUST then be inspected by a Port Department Inspector.
Once approval is granted by the Inspector the Foreign Charter License is issued.
Old 30-01-2020, 08:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by svigue View Post
You can absolutely begin and end your charter in the Bahamas as long as you have a foreign charter license (see below). It is illegal however to solicit business within the Bahamas - so for instance don’t put up flyers in the Exuma Market. A fee of 4% of the charter cost goes to the Port Department after the charter is completed. I worked in the Bahamas for 2 years on a family island (work permit required). I also crewed on a charter boat in the Bahamas for 3 years (no work permit required). The crew is essentially working for a foreign owned company and don’t need a work permit for a boat that travels to the Bahamas for a season.

The following is from the Government of the Bahamas - Port Department website:
Registering a Foreign Charter
It is a requirement of The Government of The Bahamas that all foreign charters secure a licence in order to utilise Bahamian waters. Most foreign charter applications to The Bahamas are from yachts seeking to explore our beautiful seas. To accommodate these ‘sun seekers’ the Port Department has simplified the chartering process as detailed below.

Eligibility
Non-Bahamian yacht owners.

Process
To registration for a Foreign Charter License the applicant must fill out and submit an application Form to the Port Department Office on New Providence or any of the other Port Department offices listed below.
The applicant must provide all supporting documents and pay the appropriate Boat Registration and Inspection Fees at the time that the application is submitted.
The Port Department evaluates the vessel to ensure that it has adequate crew and determine a limit the maximum amount of passengers that can be safely transported on boat.
The boat MUST then be inspected by a Port Department Inspector.
Once approval is granted by the Inspector the Foreign Charter License is issued.
Interestingly the law covering foreign registration waivers states:

"Save as hereinafter provided this Act shall
not apply to —
(a) any boat used within the waters of The Bahamas
for the purpose of providing to persons, for
reward, the facilities for any recreational
activity, under a charter-party negotiated and
executed outside The Bahamas and under which
charter the passengers for whose benefit the
charter was executed embark on the boat outside
of The Bahamas:"

Is there a more recent statute that repeals this? I certainly could be wrong, but would want to personally hear I was OK from either Bahamas Immigration or an immigration attorney before taking the risk.
Old 30-01-2020, 19:27   #11

Quote:
Interestingly the law covering foreign registration waivers states:

"Save as hereinafter provided this Act shall
not apply to —
(a) any boat used within the waters of The Bahamas
for the purpose of providing to persons, for
reward, the facilities for any recreational
activity, under a charter-party negotiated and
executed outside The Bahamas and under which
charter the passengers for whose benefit the
charter was executed embark on the boat outside
of The Bahamas:"

Is there a more recent statute that repeals this? I certainly could be wrong, but would want to personally hear I was OK from either Bahamas Immigration or an immigration attorney before taking the risk.
I believe that is a section of the regulations for registering a boat in the Bahamas - it’s not about a foreign owned business chartering in the Bahamas. As a 3 year experienced crew I know you do not need a work permit to crew in the Bahamas.
Old 31-01-2020, 04:25   #12

Location: London,Ontario, Canada - currently in Exuma, Bahamas
Boat: lagoon 450 FL

sent PM
Larimar450 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, charter