Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2018, 13:08   #1

Boat: CSY 44 Pilothouse Ketch
Bahamas to Europe Spring 2019

Hi Sailors, Dreamers, Wanna Be's and even the landlubber types...
Thanks for reading.
I am looking for a crew member, or two... You know how these thing go. Usually many people required, different folks, on different legs.
Here's the general sail plan:
Florida to Bahamas - Hopefully when Hurricanes are not blowing like h*** out there (early Spring). Then a couple weeks bouncing around the islands, shaking down, and enjoying prime island hopping time. Sailing as easy as we can make it.

Maybe back to the US if required for any maintenance or re-fit/resupply needs.
Then off to follow High Atlantic route to Europe, stopping as needed on the way for local flavor and favor. Winding up in the Baltic, eventually, vicinity Stockholm, Sweden. The goal would be to arrive there before the end of September, at the absolute latest.
Particulars:

Boat: A decently equipped Morgan 41 Ketch.. A bit of a pig of a sailor, some say, but big, roomy, and safe and solid.

$$$. Captain pays for boat expenses. Crew splits cost of groceries, according to consumption habits.

Land and other transportation: By future arrangement. Captain could help or pay for transportation to the boat, but crew should expect to share some cost.

Customs, Duties, and Border fees: Expect to Pay your own way, Captain could help, if needed.

Safety and Security:

We will focus on comfortable, low risk, low stress sailing. The weather and ocean will give us enough un-planned excitement to deal with and enjoy, so we will not press in to foul weather or any other risky business. This means crew should be very flexible with time schedules.

Boat has a current liferaft for 4.
All safety gear is up to date and functional.
Smokes, Drinks, and Other:
This will be a 99.9% smoke free boat. Some non-tobacco items may get burned from time to time

The Anchor light is the drinking light. No consumption under way at all. But we will have a well equipped bar and beer stock.. Two rules of boating.. never run out of beer or cookies; although, the Captain drinks very little to no beer/alcohol.

Clothing. This is mostly for the Bahamas, and certainly most of you reading this are already aware, that many visitors to the Bahamas view clothing as an optional situation. This is not a "nudist" boat at all, but people on it may be exposed to various nudity on or off the boat. If the glorious human body offends, then consider carefully what you get yourself in to.

Otherwise, if you do not have foul weather gear, then you should expect to buy some for yourself.

Drama:
This is supposed to be a drama free boat. Believe me, there will be enough drama without we bring a bunch with us.

About the Captain:
51 Year old man. Healthy, Energetic, non-snoring, non-smoking, non-drinking (mostly), guy who likes to sail.

45 years sailing experience aboard 16-52 foot sailboats. Yep, started young, with Dear Old dad and Mom. Great Lakes, Eastern Pacific (San Diego area), Western Atlantic, Bahamas, with the majority of experience in the Bahamas, with many courses at the fictional, but very real, Hard Knocks Sailing Academy.
Skilled and experienced in all boat auxiliary power systems (motors y'all); Gas and Diesel, HVACR systems, electrical, plumbing, rigging, - there's nothing on the boat I can't fix (or throw away and replace ).
I love to snorkel and spear fish. I am a very good cook. I love to explore the local scene, meet the people and get in to the cultures of visited places, so I tend to be wandering type explorer. All day on a random beach, to me, is a good use of a day.

I have a rock solid personality, not easily ruffled, calm under pressure, and am easy going and laid back. At the same time, I a have a loud, command voice (thank you Army), and can be very intense.

I am not a doctor or anything, but I am skilled at first aid, trained in CPR, first aid, recovery, and know how to treat many conditions - I got my broken ankle healed in about half the time it should have taken this year.
I am also an excellent trainer/teacher and coach, so if you have no experience, but otherwise fit, lets talk. Don't count yourself out.

Ideal Crew qualities:
Galley friendly, coffee loving; creative cook, bold, brave, level headed, positive energy and attitude, a bit of a hippie, excellent communication abilities, in great health, non-smoking, not grossed out by fish guts, stable at sea, some experience with sailing preferred, a light packer, excellent problem solving skills, a cheerleader (and I don't mean pom poms and a short skirt, I mean a person who is excited and energetic when facing challenging tasks and not, how do you say in this country, b*tchy about it), non-snoring (I don't mean to exclude based on stuff like snoring, that you really can't help, but I have a thing with snoring, and I can't sleep if it is going on). You should otherwise be in good health.

General Timeline is March 2019 - ish to September 2019.

Thanks for reading. Let me know if interested. We have a lot to discuss.
Flying Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 14:40   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook
Re: Bahamas to Europe Spring 2019

Great post
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 10:10   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to serbben55

hi there captain, I am Sergio from Brazil, 63 yrs old. I am a professional sailor and boats repair, like paint, gelcoat, fiberglass and more, no mechanic, no eletrician. I really would like to help you in this journey, but, I am out of money, I am broke. If you could pay for my air fair ticket to go to your boat, would be fine.
kind regards

Sergio
Old 17-09-2018, 15:01   #4

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Define High Atlantic route?

I assume Nova Scotia, UK or Iceland and North Sea?
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 05:51   #5

Yes. The Far North Route. I would like to hit the Azores, but that would make it a tough slog back North to get in to the Baltic. The plan would be to stay north and bump in to the UK, if softly.
Old 18-09-2018, 05:56   #6

Something like this.
Of course, if in the Bahamas and no major stop is needed, then could hit Bermuda, head North, and continue.
Attached graphic map courtesy of Sail Magazine. Red scribbles are mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	northern atl route.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	177576  
Old 30-09-2018, 14:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Monkey View Post
Hi Sailors, Dreamers, Wanna Be's and even the landlubber types...
Thanks for reading.
I am looking for a crew member, or two... You know how these thing go. Usually many people required, different folks, on different legs.
Here's the general sail plan:
Florida to Bahamas - Hopefully when Hurricanes are not blowing like h*** out there (early Spring). Then a couple weeks bouncing around the islands, shaking down, and enjoying prime island hopping time. Sailing as easy as we can make it.

Maybe back to the US if required for any maintenance or re-fit/resupply needs.
Then off to follow High Atlantic route to Europe, stopping as needed on the way for local flavor and favor. Winding up in the Baltic, eventually, vicinity Stockholm, Sweden. The goal would be to arrive there before the end of September, at the absolute latest.
Particulars:

Boat: A decently equipped Morgan 41 Ketch.. A bit of a pig of a sailor, some say, but big, roomy, and safe and solid.

$$$. Captain pays for boat expenses. Crew splits cost of groceries, according to consumption habits.

Land and other transportation: By future arrangement. Captain could help or pay for transportation to the boat, but crew should expect to share some cost.

Customs, Duties, and Border fees: Expect to Pay your own way, Captain could help, if needed.

Safety and Security:

We will focus on comfortable, low risk, low stress sailing. The weather and ocean will give us enough un-planned excitement to deal with and enjoy, so we will not press in to foul weather or any other risky business. This means crew should be very flexible with time schedules.

Boat has a current liferaft for 4.
All safety gear is up to date and functional.
Smokes, Drinks, and Other:
This will be a 99.9% smoke free boat. Some non-tobacco items may get burned from time to time

The Anchor light is the drinking light. No consumption under way at all. But we will have a well equipped bar and beer stock.. Two rules of boating.. never run out of beer or cookies; although, the Captain drinks very little to no beer/alcohol.

Clothing. This is mostly for the Bahamas, and certainly most of you reading this are already aware, that many visitors to the Bahamas view clothing as an optional situation. This is not a "nudist" boat at all, but people on it may be exposed to various nudity on or off the boat. If the glorious human body offends, then consider carefully what you get yourself in to.

Otherwise, if you do not have foul weather gear, then you should expect to buy some for yourself.

Drama:
This is supposed to be a drama free boat. Believe me, there will be enough drama without we bring a bunch with us.

About the Captain:
51 Year old man. Healthy, Energetic, non-snoring, non-smoking, non-drinking (mostly), guy who likes to sail.

45 years sailing experience aboard 16-52 foot sailboats. Yep, started young, with Dear Old dad and Mom. Great Lakes, Eastern Pacific (San Diego area), Western Atlantic, Bahamas, with the majority of experience in the Bahamas, with many courses at the fictional, but very real, Hard Knocks Sailing Academy.
Skilled and experienced in all boat auxiliary power systems (motors y'all); Gas and Diesel, HVACR systems, electrical, plumbing, rigging, - there's nothing on the boat I can't fix (or throw away and replace ).
I love to snorkel and spear fish. I am a very good cook. I love to explore the local scene, meet the people and get in to the cultures of visited places, so I tend to be wandering type explorer. All day on a random beach, to me, is a good use of a day.

I have a rock solid personality, not easily ruffled, calm under pressure, and am easy going and laid back. At the same time, I a have a loud, command voice (thank you Army), and can be very intense.

I am not a doctor or anything, but I am skilled at first aid, trained in CPR, first aid, recovery, and know how to treat many conditions - I got my broken ankle healed in about half the time it should have taken this year.
I am also an excellent trainer/teacher and coach, so if you have no experience, but otherwise fit, lets talk. Don't count yourself out.

Ideal Crew qualities:
Galley friendly, coffee loving; creative cook, bold, brave, level headed, positive energy and attitude, a bit of a hippie, excellent communication abilities, in great health, non-smoking, not grossed out by fish guts, stable at sea, some experience with sailing preferred, a light packer, excellent problem solving skills, a cheerleader (and I don't mean pom poms and a short skirt, I mean a person who is excited and energetic when facing challenging tasks and not, how do you say in this country, b*tchy about it), non-snoring (I don't mean to exclude based on stuff like snoring, that you really can't help, but I have a thing with snoring, and I can't sleep if it is going on). You should otherwise be in good health.

General Timeline is March 2019 - ish to September 2019.

Thanks for reading. Let me know if interested. We have a lot to discuss.
Interested. Have been bareboat sailing in the Med and Caribbean for years and would like to try a transatlantic voyage. Very time flexible and will pay my own way
Neongalleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:40   #8

Hi there
I am Paolo, an italian looking job as steward, deckhand.
I started my trip a year ago and the idea is to travel from Us to Argentina. The idea of all this is not travel for free but to offer my time, energy and help in exchange for accommodation and food. To move around I mainly hitchhike, but now I'm looking forward to expand my experience and sail in the Caribbean as a crew helping out in anything needed.
Even I can offer my support in maintenance and cleaning of the boat in exchange for room and board.
I'm currently in Miami and I'm trying a sailing chance by providing my job in exchange for food and lodging anywhere.
I can cook italian food. I can clean up the boat, teach you italian or just entertain you with my stories. I do not drink or smoke, but I don't mind others doing so. I'm a football school teacher, so in case there are children in the boat I can take care of them. I have never sailed, I don't know the basics but I learn fast.
Now I'm in Florida. I would love to be a crew on a boat and sail around Caribbean leaving from Florida or Central America.
Is anyone of you sailing around here? Or does anyone in this group know anyone sailing around here?
I should be so grateful to him if you could make me a member of the crew giving me this fresh experience.
Where is a good place to find a boat?
Thank you all in advance!
Let's me know please
paolodig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:34   #9

Edit and re-edit.....
It's funny how time flies by, and the past year has been an amazing one. This journey got a big bump out, time wise. I appreciate everyone's reply, and apologize for my lack of activity.
When I get my "sh*t in one bag", I will relist this as a "crew wanted" post.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:05   #10

Hi there!! I'm 35 years old Basque mechanical engineer, currently in Nicaragua, but can fly to Bahamas middle may if needed.

I have almost no experience in sailing, but few days in Bilbao with friends, but willing to learn and help in anything requested.

Let me please know if you're interested.

Fair winds,

Arkaitz
Arkaitz herrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:35   #11

Hey there, if you're gonna be passing by the Azores and still looking for a crew, drop me a message please!
karrotlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 10:54   #12

HI Flying Monkey; great post and trip. I sailed a Morgan 41 "Coquette" British Columbia; wonderful boat. I'd love to join your trip from either Florida to the Bahamas, or the return trip.

I've been Racing & Cruising for the past 20 or so years. Much of my experience has been in the long island sound, with several blue water cruises in the Caribbean, Pacific northwest, etc. I have an ASA 104 certification.
On-board I'm competent at most disciplines (navigation, sail handling, itinerary planning, mechanical, cooking, etc.). As a skipper, I'm pretty cool and calm, no yelling or snarking; and I help teach whatever I know. If I'm handling the sails, I work well with the skipper or captain.

Craig
ckravetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 17:32   #13

Hi. Please message me with your next sail. My husband and I are very willing workers to learn some all around boating skills. He can captain a 45’ Cat alone with me but we want more experience. We hope to buy our own in 3 years. We have a successful company with 25 employees and can pay our way. He can come alone or if there is space, I am the better cook. We don’t drink much (2 drinks per week) or smoke but don’t mind another person enjoying it-short of an angry drunk.
We have traveled the world. Drama free and positive attitude are our norms. We live in Denver and Vail Colorado. Our schedule is wide open and life is long.

You sound like a great Captain.
HopeAtSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 09:41   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to bootsie1

do you not mean 2020??????

life dose get confusing!!!!????///?

be happy
bootsie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 14:58   #15

296/5000
Hello
I am interested in crossing the atlantic. I have no experience in sailing boats only in motor boats.
I have 44 years old
What is your point of arrival in Europe?
Regular cook, good mechanic and learning some jokes in English.
I do not smoke and drink little
If you still have a job, I'm interested
ricufe002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Europe, rope