Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 12:21   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Advice for a young bloke looking to take a gap year.

I’ve got a student who is a terrific young man.

He spotted the desktop photo on my laptop the other day (it is a shot taken from inside my boat, looking out to the cockpit) and realised I was “into boats”.

Turns out he spent a few years living on a cat with his family as they made their way from Malaysia to Fiji. (Yep, the wrong direction.)

Like a lot of kids who grew up with adventurous families he’s grown into a terrific young man. He is confident, friendly and does exceptionally good school work.

He asked me how to go about taking a gap year delivering boats. I wasn’t much use to him, but I figured I’d ask here for him and see if I can surprise him with some ideas and get his thinking started.

He’s a year away from the gap year now. I’m going to assume he knows how to sail, and he’s certainly tall enough and strong enough to handle pretty much anything on a boat.

How would a young bloke like this go about establishing his credentials and getting into some paid, or at least cost free, delivery work?

Matt
Old 12-11-2020, 13:15   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Advice for a young bloke looking to take a gap year.

You didn't say how young he was when living on a cat. That could be highly relevant experience or not so much depending on how young he was at the time.

Low cost to free crewing opportunities - sailopo.com

For paid opportunities, without experience or credentials, he may need to look for something other than deliveries. For example working on a schooner that does day trips.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 13:26   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
You didn't say how young he was when living on a cat. That could be highly relevant experience or not so much depending on how young he was at the time.

Low cost to free crewing opportunities - sailopo.com

For paid opportunities, without experience or credentials, he may need to look for something other than deliveries. For example working on a schooner that does day trips.

Yes, good point. I think he was early teens when they finished up.

I’m thinking he should maybe crew for some of the bigger weekend racers?
Old 12-11-2020, 13:43   #4

Boat: Pearson 367

Deliveries aren't really a great way to see the world. You're doing a fair amount of boat prep and then sailing, rarely stopping to smell the roses. I think he should find a cruising boat that is looking for crew. He will get to see and enjoy a lot more. He will likely be asked to cover his expenses and maybe a small daily contribution. Maybe $15 a day. Still a pretty cheap way to go sailing and a great way to spend a year.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 16:06   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There is a commercial member here on CF, called nixontankgirl, who has been running ads for delivery trip crew, mostly between Oz and NZ, within the last 6 wks or so. Maybe put the young man in touch with her. Joining CF is pretty cheap.

Ann
Old 12-11-2020, 16:14   #6

Boat: Volkscruiser

Gilow why not buy his own pocket cruiser and go sailing for a year? The wife and I purchased a Folkboat in Canada when we were 21 and spent 2 seasons cruising the great lakes.
When you're young and dumb a little hardship never hurts.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 16:46   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

You could take him out on your boat and see what he knows/if he knows how to sail.

Always room to teach him somethings, then possibly a letter of reference (if they still do those things) to get his foot in the door to crew on a race boat at a local yacht club or do some shorter deliveries to help him build his resume.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 18:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
You could take him out on your boat and see what he knows/if he knows how to sail.

Always room to teach him somethings, then possibly a letter of reference (if they still do those things) to get his foot in the door to crew on a race boat at a local yacht club or do some shorter deliveries to help him build his resume.

I’d love to do that but the ethics are grey. Student/teacher boundaries and all that

I figure just a short list of ideas is safe.

Unless his mum and dad come after me with an axe.
Old 12-11-2020, 18:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Deliveries aren't really a great way to see the world. You're doing a fair amount of boat prep and then sailing, rarely stopping to smell the roses. I think he should find a cruising boat that is looking for crew. He will get to see and enjoy a lot more. He will likely be asked to cover his expenses and maybe a small daily contribution. Maybe $15 a day. Still a pretty cheap way to go sailing and a great way to spend a year.

Good point... not one I would have thought of if I’m honest.
Old 12-11-2020, 18:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Gilow why not buy his own pocket cruiser and go sailing for a year? The wife and I purchased a Folkboat in Canada when we were 21 and spent 2 seasons cruising the great lakes.

When you're young and dumb a little hardship never hurts.

Cheers

I dunno, but most year 12 students don’t have the cash for a bicycle. I think his own boat is a bit unlikely.

Unless his strategy is to hit mum and dad up for the money...
Old 12-11-2020, 18:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
There is a commercial member here on CF, called nixontankgirl, who has been running ads for delivery trip crew, mostly between Oz and NZ, within the last 6 wks or so. Maybe put the young man in touch with her. Joining CF is pretty cheap.

Ann

I’ve seen her ads... couldn’t quite figure out how she operates. I’ll check her out.
Old 12-11-2020, 18:40   #12

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I’d love to do that but the ethics are grey. Student/teacher boundaries and all that

I figure just a short list of ideas is safe.

Unless his mum and dad come after me with an axe.

Grey doesn't sound like black and white, but understand.

Anyone else you know who is experienced and would take him under their wing as a fledgling sailor?
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 18:42   #13

Boat: Pearson 367

There is also a facebook group called sailboat hitchhikers. It's full of dirty hippies, lol so if he presents well he should be able to find a ride.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 19:27   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I’ve seen her ads... couldn’t quite figure out how she operates. I’ll check her out.
No, don't do that. It is up to the young bloke. He should have the experience, not you having it for him. However, perfectly okay to share what questions you'd want answered, what kinds of data you'd want. Also, imho, he should get his parents involved, as well. If he's still basically living at home, his folks should be part of the discussions. If he's an emancipated minor, that's different, but he's then unlikely to have time for deliveries.

If they were going to gift him a year's travel, he could get a trailer sailer and have a great time. We knew some Canadians who did that. Bought it here in Oz, and sold at end of 2 month holiday here...they were Canadian Coast Guard people. Imo, someone without any meaningful experience, should have a mentor for such a project.

Ann
Old 12-11-2020, 20:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
No, don't do that. It is up to the young bloke. He should have the experience, not you having it for him. However, perfectly okay to share what questions you'd want answered, what kinds of data you'd want. Also, imho, he should get his parents involved, as well. If he's still basically living at home, his folks should be part of the discussions. If he's an emancipated minor, that's different, but he's then unlikely to have time for deliveries.

If they were going to gift him a year's travel, he could get a trailer sailer and have a great time. We knew some Canadians who did that. Bought it here in Oz, and sold at end of 2 month holiday here...they were Canadian Coast Guard people. Imo, someone without any meaningful experience, should have a mentor for such a project.

Ann
I would never recommend he check a particular outfit without vetting them first. Telling a young person to look into something will often be interpreted as an endorsement.