Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2022, 20:22   #1

Adventures in New Zealand and Oceania.

Coming to NZ from Alaska to visit a friend in February 10-20th.

It seems the best way to avoid the crowds in summer may be on a sailboat, much like tourism season here at home.

I’m looking for a local boat owner-captain - someone who is familiar with area and charts - who wants to get out for a few days for some coastal cruising and host some cool people.

I’m willing to pay for food, fuel and compensate for good hands-on instruction in sailing.

Please provide references, description of your boat, experience or business.

-OR-

If anyone can recommend a great charter/school preferably in or near Auckland….

-ALSO-

We may also be interested in passages to Australia, Tasmania or Antarctica during that time and can fly to other points of departure.

Me:
43m, ex-military and Alaska hiking/fishing/rafting guide, journalist

I’ve sailed a few dozen times and have attended some courses, but need refresher.

Her:
27f, Persian neuroscientist

No sailing experience.
TasteofSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 01:38   #2

Re: Adventures in New Zealand and Oceania.

Wow! You guys are tall.
Kastaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 05:12   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

NZ doesn’t get as busy as say Block Island in summer. It’s tolerable. And whether you like crowds or not, Bay of Isles and Auckland waterfront need to be experienced. Hate to say it, but there is so much to see just on the north island you’re better off touring by auto.

Good luck with your adventure
Old 15-10-2022, 07:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastaway View Post
Wow! You guys are tall.
Haha, maybe in spirit
Old 15-10-2022, 07:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
NZ doesn’t get as busy as say Block Island in summer. It’s tolerable. And whether you like crowds or not, Bay of Isles and Auckland waterfront need to be experienced. Hate to say it, but there is so much to see just on the north island you’re better off touring by auto.

Good luck with your adventure
Thank you for the input. Thats great to hear, as I am all about option and diversity of experience.
Old 15-10-2022, 16:05   #6

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofSalt View Post
Thank you for the input. Thats great to hear, as I am all about option and diversity of experience.

On YT both the Wynns and O’Kelly’s have done recent videos touring North Island NZ, so you can get some ideas.

Yacht charters available Bay of Islands (most crowded), Auckland (also crowded, and greater sailing distances), and Marlborough Sounds (water will be cooler and more fjord-like, less busy). Are you skilled enough to bareboat, or would you need a skippered charter? In either case, book now as February is high season.

Look to commercial mini cruises for further afield.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 20:27   #7

NZ resident sailor here. I have circumnavigated the North, south, Stewart, Chatham Islands and lots of the Pacific. If you have a year do all that it's a beautiful trip. If you don't have a lot of time and just want a bit of sailing try contacting the Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron. They have club racing every Friday night. They can normally get you on a boat for the racing, You'll be ballast but you can learn more about sail and boat handling in an hours race than a weekend on a charter. Steinlarger 2 and several retired Americas cup boats do charters from Auckland. For the Most of the rest of the country It's a wild coast that's best seen by road taking tourist boats where possible if your on a time budget.
PureH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 17:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
On YT both the Wynns and O’Kelly’s have done recent videos touring North Island NZ, so you can get some ideas.

Yacht charters available Bay of Islands (most crowded), Auckland (also crowded, and greater sailing distances), and Marlborough Sounds (water will be cooler and more fjord-like, less busy). Are you skilled enough to bareboat, or would you need a skippered charter? In either case, book now as February is high season.

Look to commercial mini cruises for further afield.

I appreciate the input! I dont have enough experience to bareboat. Not that I cant figure it out, but liability and insurance probably wouldnt cover me, and I would be alone. Would rather jump on with some locals.

Jerami

Tags
New Zealand