Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2019, 02:24   #16

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Re: A New Twist I Think

Wow. This is beautiful, and I so hope you find a perfect couple to do this with... There is less and less respect for age in our world, but in the sailing community I think that is the opposite, and the amazing gift you could give the right young people is something difficult to even grasp. And the gift they can give to you. Lifechanging for both of you, I'm tearing up at the thought..... You should share this also on maybe some Facebook groups.... I think more people on this site have boats already, but there I know plenty of amazing younger people who are dying to take to the sea, but have no (and never will have) the resources to do it alone. You would change their lives. I am so happy I read this post, it gives me a lot to think about for when my own time comes....
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 02:51   #17

Good on you, great idea.
Maybe you could consider some sort of “paying it forward” arrangement in the contract, so the folks who end up with your boat don’t just turn around and sell it.
Would probably help filter out the users as well...
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 09:17   #18

Boat: Whitby 42

Bill, we received your pm but was not able to respond on that page? We are vey interested to talk more and learn about each other. We will be heading up your way around the first of May on our way to Alaska. This would be at great opportunity for us to get to know each other and to see Scorpius!
marciaanddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2019, 14:12   #19

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
great idea,but in reality 5 years is a long time to share your home with people who effectively have a stake in your well being,property and expectations.
perhaps this would suit a more elderly couple than a younger couple.

perhaps also read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_the_Sea_Will_Tell

Well, I've gotten a number of interested, positive replies - so it seems to be working. And the idea was to get some young blood on the boat. Another elderly couple might not be able to help when the anchor gets stuck or someone has to go to the top of the mast in a seaway.

I'm not unhappy the way it is working out.
-Take care
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 01:30   #20

It was a very basic question.. which I think is important.. details are everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Sorry, I'm not interested in a single guy nor someone who is more interested in the value of the boat than the adventure.
windycityxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 02:55   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
great idea,but in reality 5 years is a long time to share your home with people who effectively have a stake in your well being,property and expectations.
perhaps this would suit a more elderly couple than a younger couple.

perhaps also read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_the_Sea_Will_Tell
....or incentive for your demise. [emoji15]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 03:15   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A New Twist I Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
....or incentive for your demise. [emoji15]
Complications could arise if it happens at sea.. claiming the boat if there's no written agreement beforehand.. proving it was not induced to accelerate inheritance.. fighting off family claims.
Could be a lot of thorns with the rose..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 03:39   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Complications could arise if it happens at sea.. claiming the boat if there's no written agreement beforehand.. proving it was not induced to accelerate inheritance.. fighting off family claims.
Could be a lot of thorns with the rose..
Yes, could get messy. Wills often include a foul play clause, but proving/disproving such could be a challenge...esp if happened at sea.

Could defeat the primary purpose of turning the boat over to a responsible new owner if the whole mess got caught up in legal issues...while the boat sat and rotted.

Something to consider.
Old 27-01-2019, 08:28   #24

Don't you just love the naysayers of this world. And I probably shouldn't have gotten out of bed this morning as I might be hit by a bus crossing the street.
Old 27-01-2019, 08:38   #25

Quote:
Don't you just love the naysayers of this world. And I probably shouldn't have gotten out of bed this morning as I might be hit by a bus crossing the street.
Just to clarify, in case that was regarding my comment, I think what you propose is an admirable idea. Only discussing a potential complication above.
Old 27-01-2019, 08:44   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, could get messy. Wills often include a foul play clause, but proving/disproving such could be a challenge...esp if happened at sea.

Could defeat the primary purpose of turning the boat over to a responsible new owner if the whole mess got caught up in legal issues...while the boat sat and rotted.

Something to consider.

Thanks for the suggestion

1. There WILL be a written agreement. And I can visualize a clause that says that during the term of the agreement, unless my body is available for an autopsy after death and it is established by legal authority that no foul play was involved (or some such thing), the deal is off, and
2. I've already cleared the plan with all of my family and they are good with it. They all have their own (very successful) lives to lead and none of them plan to sail offshore. Scorpius would be a burden should I leave her to any of them and they don't need either the money from her sale or the hassle of selling her. They're busy.

Sorry, but there are just too many boats disintegrating from neglect because their owners can no longer care for them. This is my attempt to avoid that situation with Scorpius and establish a continuum of care. I prefer to be a glass-half-full kind of guy - and I've already received several positive and very wonderful replies.
Old 27-01-2019, 08:55   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Good on you, great idea.
Maybe you could consider some sort of “paying it forward” arrangement in the contract, so the folks who end up with your boat don’t just turn around and sell it.
Would probably help filter out the users as well...

It's a thought to consider.
Old 27-01-2019, 09:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Wow. This is beautiful, and I so hope you find a perfect couple to do this with... There is less and less respect for age in our world, but in the sailing community I think that is the opposite, and the amazing gift you could give the right young people is something difficult to even grasp. And the gift they can give to you. Lifechanging for both of you, I'm tearing up at the thought..... You should share this also on maybe some Facebook groups.... I think more people on this site have boats already, but there I know plenty of amazing younger people who are dying to take to the sea, but have no (and never will have) the resources to do it alone. You would change their lives. I am so happy I read this post, it gives me a lot to think about for when my own time comes....

I'm not a facebook person. I'm already spending too much time online (and it's not a lot). Also, I really only need to find ONE appropriate couple and I've received some wonderful replies here.

But thanks for the suggestion and perhaps I will consider it if none of the possibilities here pan out. Take care.
Old 27-01-2019, 09:54   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A New Twist I Think

Quote:
Far from a naysayer.. but view me as you choose..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 10:27   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Far from a naysayer.. but view me as you choose..

Yes, your earlier post(s) were much more positive. Be well.