Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2022, 12:31   #1

Boat: F32 trimaran
2023 Atlantic crossing

I am land locked in Lake Huron and want to get away from ice and snow.
First I was going to sail the St. Lawrence in October from Lake Huron to the Atlantic.... Than someone put some sense in me and I realize the boat and I were not ready for that.
Next I figure to sail down the canals but, they open late May and I need to be in the Atlantic in time to cross it... no sure I could make it. Also taking the stick down is something that I hate with all my heart.
Now I am reconsidering the passage from Lake Huron (about Sarnia, Ontario or Port Huron Michigan) down the St. Lawrence AGAIN.
I usually sail alone but, would be nice to have some company this time. First stage Lake huron to the Atlantic. Second stage Cross the pond .
Anyone seriously interested please reply and see if we can make some arrangements, exchange information.
My experience is on Lake Huron in any weather in small boats a 20 ft and a 30 ft.
Sail single handed most of times. I have been racing my old 20 footer for years on this nasty lake.
Now This is a 38 C&C, a bit big but comfortable to carry all my unnecessary amenities.
It has been mostly refitted and has many good things.
Windlass, Bow Trust, Force 10 stove, little Grizzly fireplace, and older radar that works fine, Vulcan 9 new plotter, VHF with AIS receiver. All the safety gear necessary plus some.
Anyone serious about it please contact me. For those that contacted me before, please do it again if serious about it.
Thank you
Gianfranco
Gianfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 14:17   #2

Boat: 50' navy utility trawler conversion
Re: 2023 Atlantic crossing

The Welland Canal is closed to recreational vessels until next spring. The only way to salt water from Lake Huron now is through Chicago to the Gulf of Mexico.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 14:23   #3

I plan to go in the spring next May...
Old 11-11-2022, 14:27   #4

Looks like it will be open by April.... early enough for me
Old 11-11-2022, 14:53   #5

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

You will want to be in St. Johns or Halifax by June 1 for your best month to cross. IMHO St. Johns puts you more north than I would like to be. I think going into the canal is to much aggravation.

Pay attention to the lows that come off Nova Scotia and intensify as they move east across the Atlantic. You will want to see these soon enough to side step them by moving to the south.

To get the best heads up have a method to obtain grib weather files daily. Have a computer or some means to display them relative to your postion. Some of the lows can be fairly intense.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 15:00   #6

I would like to be there by mid May but, I am now inquiring about ice ... will it be clear from ICE ?
No sure how long it may take to sail the St. Lawrence...
I hope to leave quite Early from Lake Huron. Hope the club will be able to get me in the water early... I have this Grizzly fireplace... Nice and cozy but, for now it appear it can burn a sequoia before I reach St. John. It may be my ignorance on how to use hihi
Old 11-11-2022, 15:10   #7

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

We left northern Lake Michigan on May 3rd and we were in Nova Scotia with a week to spare. We spent about 10 days in Halifax before jumping off.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 17:04   #8

Interesting. If you have any information on this trip, please let me know....
when did you go ?
Old 19-11-2022, 14:54   #9

This sounds like an amazing adventure. One that is perfectly suited to the kind of next level sailing that I want to do. I have experience, but not a ton. I’ve done a good bit of sailing on Lake Champlain, helped a buddy bring his Morgan 30 up the Hudson, and last winter I crewed on a Passport 40 from Maryland to Panama via the ICW, the Bahamas, and Jamaica. I have references and best of all… I’m from Vermont so I know what cold is and I know what this area is like. Get in touch. I could also, potentially, be available to do boat prep and get this going as soon as the weather window opens. Thanks, Dwight WhatsApp +1 802-279-5298

P.S. Do you BC ski? My dream is sail to ski terrain. Anchor, dingy in, and go ski untracked lines.
djgies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 15:24   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to GarrySutherland

"Crossing the Atlantic" means ending up where? I"d be interested, if that means Ireland or Britain or Spain.
GarrySutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2022, 15:55   #11

maybe Azores or Gibraltar.... Mediterranean for sure
Old 20-11-2022, 02:48   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfranco View Post
maybe Azores or Gibraltar.... Mediterranean for sure

Med. Sorry it’s full ,

next ticket 2024 book now at mymedsailing .com terms and conditions apply no guarantee of entry is implicated or implied , new bureaucracy may be invented. At any time.
Old 21-06-2023, 00:47   #13

Hi Gianfranco,
Any update on your project? Willing to cross the Atlantic to the Med out of Montreal... this summer (June 21 = official summer).
Hamoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 11:22   #14

Hello Cap. Gianfranco I just sendt you a private message
Travelerman2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2023, 17:57   #15

I don't have any experience, but if given a timeframe I could definitely get some classes in... however I'm definitely down to cross the Atlantic, been meaning to make my way back to Germany since coming back in November
jackaboi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing