Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2015, 23:36   #1

Seychelles

Hi,

I plan to sail in the inner Seychelles area Feb/March 2016. Who can recommend charts, literature or has own experience in sailing there?

Thanks in advance!

Regards
Sailor9060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:22   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Seychelles

Note that there were four attempted robberies on as many cruising yachts in the Seychelles a few months back, one leading to a serious injury to a woman. Local police barely took any action until one cruiser made contact with a journalist, but even then, no arrests, last I heard. Lock your doors and hatches at night, secure your dingy in its hooks.

Steve
L450
SV Emerald Sea
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 23:47   #3

Boat: Passport 40

We did a charter in La Digue and Praislin last spring. We found the Navionic's charts to be even more descriptive than the chart plotter on the boat. So we used both. For us the weather was up and down. Got stuck in two squalls blowing 35 knots.. Waves chaotic because of all the islands. Very secluded. Limited places in that area to re supply. No problem with pirates in that area, was only about 20 boats cruising at the time, mostly charters. We opted out of crossing over to the main island.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 03:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sailor.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 02:17   #5

Boat: Stevens 47

Seychelles - friendly people, few anchorages but they are beautiful, very expensive at least from the full time cruiser perspective.

We were there(Port Victoria, Mahe) and anchored by boats boarded and robbed that Emerald Sea mentions above. Four boats, all catamarans boarded over a few nights. In 2 cases there was confrontation, one of which was bad. Emerald Sea is wrong in the police involvement - they were very engaged and even took finger prints. They believed that the thugs were stealing for drug money. Last we heard, they made an arrest and recovered some of the items. Do take precautions in Port Victoria, but it's not a place to be paranoid about.

Port Victoria inner harbor - anchoring is crap, yacht club is a nice for a drink, easy provisioning (expensive), downwind of power plant so much particulate in the air.

Beau Vallon (West side Mahe) - beautiful big beach with mountains behind, beach front shops/restaurants, touristy, easy and cheap bus ride to Port Victoria. Be careful of beach landing the dinghy as surf brake can be tough is swell is up.

Anse la Mouche (SW Mahe) - lovely, quiet small bay, a little provisioning but not to much near.

Anse Lazio (N side of Prasline) - among the most beautiful beaches, again careful landing dinghy if surf is up, must visit "honesty bar" (great view over beach, self serve)

The only other place we went to was Cosmoledo in outer Seychelles - really cool if getting to outer islands, PM if you want more info.

Weather - need to watch well. It can be squally or just blow stink for a few days, mostly from SE so, anchorages above are all fine. We had 30+ a few time moving between spots.

Except in Port Victoria, anchoring is easy. Navionics charts were excellent. Cable & Wireless for internet and phone were fine, though most boats there had issues with metered data that disappeared up to 10x faster than was real (buy 4Gb data and have it run after just a fration used) - provider didn't seam to matter and we never did figure out way.

Enjoy, it's a lovely place!
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:22   #6

Boat: Sell multihull edel 35 in mada or Seychelles for only60000$

Hi
For sailor9060: Where are you?
I sent long message but nothing (try again but short)i Must leave the anarchy country, Madagascar, looking for immigr..maybe Seychelles good?
On feb and march not too much wind.
For Daniel totem: Seychelles expensive how much?
Also inside my personal mail box i don t like ambiguity, i can customers helping if the builder industrial partner cooperate in my project. It s build and sell my multihull Patent, always looking for boat builder. I suggest to you because you are sailmaker and i need good sailmaker for my 2 masts parall..on each hull with 2 rigid sail, all it s new concept multihull for security and performance.
Good wind
Your stewardship of mada, nosy hara Marine national park marina/ampasindava
Natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:37   #7

" Emerald Sea is wrong "
Hi Daniel
I watched noonsite, very expensive (and too much fine/penalization) :
red Sri kaka (fees all for the War), Maldives , chagos and
Effectivelly small exaggeration for Seychelles. I phoned my seychellois friend inside government, replied for coastguard forbiddening snorkeling and dive.
They Will change reasonnable.
Actually, reasonnable are mada, glorieuses, Mayotte.
Best "regards"
Your stewardship Bill
Old 08-11-2015, 07:42   #8

Hi Steve, emerald sea
Have you been in Seychelles?
Following on the last thread in mada!

Tags
Seychelles