Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2022, 06:40   #1

Sailing Seychelles

We have rented a Catamaran from Dream Yacht Charters. I am short of information about provisioning, finding charts and planning our sail.

Can anyone help me?
E4aBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 21:39   #2

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Sailing Seychelles

Well, the first thing you should have done is come here and searched "Dream Yacht". Then you would not have signed a contract with "Nightmare Yacht Charters". Does Dream Yacht not have this information for you? They should.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:51   #3

Yes, now we have received details for provisioning. We chose Dream Yacht Charter in part because they have 22 boats which alleviates some of the potential spare parts issues. Moreover, we have rented a Bali 4.5 which I know to be a pretty new and good boat.

We will report in as we go. We appreciate any advice we can get.

Advance preparation is Always the key to sailing

Best
E4aBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 20:43   #4

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Well, you are committed.

My advice is to arrive the day before your charter begins, and see if you can check on the status of your boat. They have a habit of back-to-backs, meaning your boat comes in the morning of your charter, and then you take it out that afternoon. They had 3 days between charters on ours, and we didn't leave until almost dark. They had only fixed the necessary items. On an 8 month old boat. Mid charter we spent most of a day at the base while they fixed some more broken stuff.

My understanding of how DYC operates is this: They are responsible for all maintenance costs. Unlike some other charter companies, where the profits are split, DYC offers "guaranteed income" programs (which were suspended for a long time during Covid). So, anything they spend fixing a boat, comes out of their pocket. Duct tape is their favorite repair material/process. I just wish they had used the other half of that old saying (If it moves and isn't supposed to, use duct tape. If it's supposed to move and doesn't, use WD40), and made the running rigging operate. "No one sails these boats, they just motor". Our other favorite quote from them was "Never buy a French boat, French build #$*@!". Oh, let's not forget "We don't put freezers on boats, or extra refrigerators. Just drink your beer warm."
Also be prepared for them to switch boats on you. Might be an upgrade. Might not be. BTW, the reason why there are few bad reviews, is that if you have any problems, and they compensate you, you have to agree not to post anything negative online. Get EVERYTHING they say in writing.

When all goes well, folks like DYC. It's when the excrement hits the fan that things go rapidly south.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, Seychelles