Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2009, 03:37   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Pirates Released - Given Fuel and Water

Article copied in full due to its important message in its journalism

Quote:
Suspected Somalia pirates freed by Dutch navy

The suspected pirates were removed from a skiff by Dutch sailors

A group of suspected Somali pirates detained on a Dutch warship has been released because no country has agreed to prosecute them. A Dutch defence ministry statement said the European Union had decided that the 13 detainees had to be freed because it was impossible to bring charges.
The suspects were seized in the Indian Ocean two weeks ago after allegedly attempting to attack a cargo ship.
They were put back on their own speedboat with some food and fuel.
They had been on board the Dutch warship Evertsen since early December after they were tracked down following the alleged attack on the Antigua and Barbuda-flagged cargo ship MV BBC Togo failed.
Regret at release
The European Union naval force said ladders, grappling hooks, nine automatic weapons, grenades and other ammunition were found on board their skiffs.
"The European Union has tried in vain since their arrest to find a country which would agree to prosecute them," the defence ministry statement said.
"The defence ministry regrets that the European Union has not found a suitable solution," the statement added.
Although the EU had signed agreements with the Seychelles and Kenya to help press charges against suspected pirates, "the two countries indicated they did not want to prosecute the pirates", the ministry said.
Differences over laws concerning the arrest of pirates have hampered efforts to curtail piracy in the Gulf of Aden.
From BBC News - Suspected Somalia pirates freed by Dutch navy

It does pickle my cucumber to see this sort of thing happen.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 03:47   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
wow this is going to open new doors for the pirates , now they have no fear at all- open season on anyone- just unbeleaveabule!!!!!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 03:49   #3

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
And we wonder why Piracy continues. Now the EU human rights farce has found its way to the Indian Ocean. I hate this 'turn the other cheek' nonsense. Its a kill or be killed world, the meek shall NOT inherit the earth.
Take the hard stance now and make sure they know there is nothing but death waiting for pirates, then they will stop.
Old 21-12-2009, 03:50   #4

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
wow this is going to open new doors for the pirates , now they have no fear at all- open season on anyone- just unbeleaveabule!!!!!

Yeah, a fat ransom if you win and freedom, fuel and water if you lose.

Whats in it for the victims?
Old 21-12-2009, 03:51   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
And we wonder why Piracy continues. Now the EU human rights farce has found its way to the Indian Ocean. I hate this 'turn the other cheek' nonsense. Its a kill or be killed world, the meek shall NOT inherit the earth.
Take the hard stance now and make sure they know there is nothing but death waiting for pirates, then they will stop.
somehow i hate to agree with this harsh statment but maybe its the the only way to deter it-we just gave them bastar^& a licence to do what ever they want!!!!!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 04:03   #6
CLOD

Boat: none
I'm surprised that we haven't heard of any pirates getting killed by gaurds yet. Do the pirates have a list of which ships have protection so they can avoid them? So far the only danager to them appears to be along the line of getting wet from a freighter's fire hose.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 04:08   #7

Boat: seawind II Patience
Easy solution,take no prisoners.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 04:33   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Remember: America has opposed an international criminal court, presumably a legal venue that could have prosecuted these guys. I am not stating an opinion one way or the other, just pointing out that Uncle Sam has had a hand in this sort of dilemna.
Old 21-12-2009, 05:04   #9

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
The ICC was more for "crimes against humanity", These guys, while needing dealt with don't really qualify.

The boat that was released was small potatoes. They should have been followed back to their mothership and their leader. That would have been the real prize.
Old 21-12-2009, 05:14   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post
The ICC was more for "crimes against humanity", These guys, while needing dealt with don't really qualify.

The boat that was released was small potatoes. They should have been followed back to their mothership and their leader. That would have been the real prize.
It's a larger discussion of international jurisdiction and, in fact, other crimes like drug trafficing, had been talked about. In any case, the U.S. has declined to participate.
Old 21-12-2009, 05:26   #11

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Even if there was an international court, where would the international jail be? The problem isn't legalities - UNCLOS makes it possible for any signatory country to act against any pirate attacking any ship - not just home-flagged ships or in home waters. There is a reluctance to prosecute and jail them where they will inevitably claim refugee status. Beacause of our liberal laws and social policies, we don't take prisoners, literally. Unless Western nations do something about their own laws, this situation won't change. Unfortunately, it is unlikely we will adopt the figurative "take no prisoners" approach.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 05:30   #12

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
It's a larger discussion of international jurisdiction and, in fact, other crimes like drug trafficing, had been talked about. In any case, the U.S. has declined to participate.
The intention with the ICC is the persecution of crimes against humanity perpetrated by states, the US has been attempting to stall it and negotiated exemptions for their military staff for obvious reasons, even threatening to invade the Netherlands should the case arise..
Old 21-12-2009, 05:41   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
The intention with the ICC is the persecution of crimes against humanity perpetrated by states, the US has been attempting to stall it and negotiated exemptions for their military staff for obvious reasons, even threatening to invade the Netherlands should the case arise..
As I mentioned, there has been discussion of expanding it to other crimes:
EU@UN - EP - Terrorists to be judged by the International Criminal Court?

I guess what I was trying to suggest is that those who look at a situation like this and wonder WTF are often the same folks who oppose international institutions, whether it be the ICC or some other mechanism, that might deal with them.
Old 21-12-2009, 05:58   #14

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
???????????????????????????

Boy, was I in the wrong business. Here in Texas, if you are a small time crook-crackhead and do a jacking, that might pay a few dollars if successful they will put you under the jail if not the chamber. Compare that to off the coast of Africa you hijack a ship unsuccesfully that would pay in the perhaps millions and the "law" gives you accomodiations, three squares, a refit, free fuel and a picnic basket???????????????

To think I spent a career climbing poles for the phone company, fighting wasp, heat, cold, dogs, ignorant dumb ass management and the most feared of all, older housewives with pretty, bushy, thornney plants planted in MY easment next to my pole. Go figger??

One good hijacking would have made more, tax-free than I made in 30 years, including my retirement package and medical. Boy, do I feel like a sap.
Old 21-12-2009, 06:19   #15

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
Mule, you see, it is not about the crime, it is all about the criminals. If you, I, a Britisher, German or Australian went over there and hijacked a ship and were caught we would surely be brought to court by the EU or US or whoever is patroling over there and be put in chains and severely punished.
The Somalis who are "underprivileged" are given a free pass.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel