Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 14:20   #1

Chartering in Langkawi

Hi, thinking of chartering new years at langkawi from sunsail. Anyone have experience in the area? Is it a good time of year? Also, what sort of sea states to expect. Generally calm sheltered waters or is it a bit rougher and more exposed?and Wht of the facilities?
It's easy to get sales pitches from the charter companies, hoping for the benefit of some unbiased experience
many thanks
cecilcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 22:38   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Langkawi is a good place for a cruise

We were there about 7 months ago.

Provision where you pick up the boat as none of the anchorages have shops. There are a few with restaurants but the prime ones don't.

The fijord at 006 11.234 N 099 47.286 E is utterly unmissable. The photos attached are taken there.

There a few different types of monkeys in the area, shell eating monkeys patrol the rocks each day but even when so close you need binos to see them as they are so small and camouflaged.
The black and white ones in the photo below came down a sheer cliff to have a bite...

The north side of the main island group can get quite windy and so can be great sailing when going westwards. Beware catabalic winds... but hey, its a charter boat...

You will enjoy it immensly! WAIT>>>>> You will enjoy it immensly as a crusing destination. NOT as a cultural location. The tourist areas are very touristy and the local areas are just there for the tourists. There are relitivly few Malaysians... most Malaysians are from the mainland and only there cos of the tourists.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0302.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	16984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162sm.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	16985  

Name:	lang1.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	16986  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 00:37   #3

Mark has given you good advice, "The hole in the Wall" is just one place worth visiting. Cable cars to the top of the Mountain - Langkawi's Sea Eagle population (kites)

There are plenty of Malaysians around.
Not so sure about SunSail - their location in The Royal Langkawi Yacht Club's Marina means that if on a short charter one spends a goodly amount of time getting to and from the cruising areas - just doing that will take up a day at least. Again if one is chartering only for a week, it is worth having a skipper (Malaysian) who not only knows the boat but all the good anchorages - of which there are many.
I personally would charter privately - many good boats at very reasonable rates available. If you PM me and I can give you some good contacts ( I am not in the travel business - merely sail those waters often.)
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 03:02   #4

Boat: custom built aluminium, 60ft - FAST FORWARD
We found Langkawi a nice enough place, but if it's gorgeous blue water, and great snorkeling you want that's not what you are going to get! And don't forget about the jellyfish.... although not all are deadly, there are a few around that are - 3 people died this year from jellyfish stings. The marine guide on the this website is great: The Marine Guide

Have you considered Thailand? The Similans and Surins are gorgeous, particularly the Surins....

ENJOY!

Fast Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 04:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Forward View Post
3 people died this year from jellyfish stings.

Please provide details of this years fatal JellyFish stings in Langkawi waters
Old 15-06-2010, 06:09   #6

Boat: Vagabond 42
I live there and this is not the best time of year. The SE monsoon is well set in with occasional violent squalls and periods od heavy rain. The waters are not particularly clear at this time of year and you would be very foolish to visit the West coast of Phuket and further North as it's much too exposed and there are no safe bolt holes. If you do sail between Langkawi and Phuket, there are a few anchorages, such as the Eastern side of Turatao or Lanta, which offer good shelter. Phang Na and the eastern side of Phuket are fine too but, if you are on a short charter, you could spend a lot of it holed up, waiting for the weather to improve. The best time is end November-ish to April.

On the subject of Box Jellyfish, there was an article recently, on the webpages of Langkawi Gazette from memory.

Sorry, I meant to add that I have used Sunsail out here in the past and they are fine. I have no other personal experience of bareboat charters.
galleyslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 07:11   #7

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
Cecil,

New years would be just about the beginning of the NW monsoon/dry season. With any luck you would stand a good chance of having great weather. Flat water aside from the NW coast. But why would you want to sail around the nasty old ocean when you could come straight to Rebak and help me sand the wallpaper glue off the interior of my boat? I'll even throw in a paper suit.

Mike

PS; This could be you!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Phuket 12 045.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	17054  
mikereed100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 23:57   #8

Boat: custom built aluminium, 60ft - FAST FORWARD
Alarm as Box Jellyfish Kills Tourist on Langkawi - Phuket Wan

The other two deaths were from a local fisherman reporting that 2 local children had been badly stung and later died.
Fast Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 23:17   #9

fitting out

We are planning to sail Brisbane, Australia to Langkawi, Malaysia later in the year or early next year.
We are hoping to have the interior fitted out.
Hoping to get better prices and workmanship, mainly in timber.
Any suggestions.
Anyone you could recommend.
We thought we would fly over first for a week to check things out.
Is there an off season in Langkawi.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 17:54   #10

Hello There,
I did the same, brought a Catamaran from Brisbane to SE Asia to fit out interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
We are planning to sail Brisbane, Australia to Langkawi, Malaysia later in the year or early next year.
Is there an off season in Langkawi
best to be crossing the Equator - Mid November once the N.E, Monsoon has set on

We are hoping to have the interior fitted out.
Hoping to get better prices and workmanship, mainly in timber.
Need to know what type of boat?

Any suggestions.
Anyone you could recommend.
Can provide contacts - send me your email address in a PM
Old 22-06-2010, 19:57   #11

Boat: Vagabond 42
There is a Penang company which does quite a lot of boat woodwork in Langkawi. I haven't seen them around for a while but the name is something like East Bay Decks.

As a general observation, you will probably find better choice and workmanship in Thailand. The one advantage of Malaysia is that teak is freely available but not cheap.
galleyslave is offline   Reply With Quote