Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2007, 11:15   #31

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Too Bad, I was compiling a list of countries the US has invaded since WW11, now I'll have to find somewhere else to post it.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2007, 12:54   #32

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
So...

after two pages of on & off topic ranting... I now take it that it costs a little less than $200 USD to legally visit and anchor at Chagos for a month?

HooRah! That's certainly better than what was reported earlier on this topic.

See what bad rumors can do?!

I reckon $200 is pretty much a bargan when it comes right down to it.

I mean, we usually end up spending way more than $200 dollars ANYWHERE we spend a month while out voyaging. There's harbor fees, taxes, restauraunts, bribes, mooring fees, taxis, marinas, fuel, water, provisioning, local entertainment, hookers, booze, etc, etc, etc.

The thing that makes Chagos so appealing to everyone I've met who have actually been there is the simple fact that you cannot even spend one red cent while there. You've gotta be completely self reliant when you drop your hook in Chagos and when you eventually arrive at your next destination - you still have the change in your pocket that you left with from your last port before Chagos. $200 for a month's rent? Come on.

See what a month does to your cruising kitty when you stop in Sydney or St Barts or Santorini or Rome or Honolulu... or in ANY civilized port, for that matter.

Last I heard, it cost more than $200 USD just to pay for administrative fees immediately upon arrival in Sri Lanka! And that's just for dropping your hook! Just for starters! EACH day after that costs EXTRA.

Politics aside - Fifty Bucks a week to enjoy life, far away from internet cafes, hustlers, hawkers, harbor masters, speed boats, noise and other distractions, in a remote slice of paradise, safe from huricanes, in the middle of the Indian Ocean - bargan! Come on - join us! I'll supply the home brew!

To Life!

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 00:44   #33

Boat: Westerly 33, Dunkers of Tintern
Kirk, when you put it like that it sounds great. Thats why I want to go cruising again -to go to places where you don't need money to enjoy yourself and you are reliant on yourself. Not many places like that left in this shrinking world
Dunkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 03:00   #34
bru

What I find interesting is that despite extensive searching I cannot find any reference at all to the rules for visiting the BIOT anywhere on-line other than the references in this thread and elsewhere spawned from the Noonsite information.

There's absolutely no information at all on the FCO web site or anywhere else on .gov.uk and that really surprises me since in recent years the UK government, for all its' other failings, has embraced electronic information wholesale

It is wasn't for Noonsite and the discussion threads here and elsewhere, there'd be no info to be found on-line at all!
Old 22-02-2007, 08:44   #35
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivanters
I reckon $200 is pretty much a bargan when it comes right down to it.

I mean, we usually end up spending way more than $200 dollars ANYWHERE we spend a month while out voyaging. There's harbor fees, taxes, restauraunts, bribes, mooring fees, taxis, marinas, fuel, water, provisioning, local entertainment, hookers, booze, etc, etc, etc.
Shouldn't this be under the thread "Favourite Cruising Destinations"??
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 01:30   #36
Bob

Quote:
Richard has obtained the latest application forms and List of Rules from BIOT and these can be downloaded (in .pdf) HERE
Updated link URL: NEW LINK to .pdf forms.

Fair winds.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:28   #37

Dear all,

I love Chagos, and I do not appreciate the UK or USA's behavior - both democracies acting like dictators due to the regions strategic interest.

The 100 GBP / month fee is not unreasonable however and considering the effort made to keep the islands as natural reserves I think the end result will be far better kept islands. I hope when I get a chance to sail my kids there the islands will be as untouched as they were when I saw them in 1995.

take care
John
jonnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:06   #38

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
being a Navy veteran who has visited Diego Garcia twice, believe me, it's not all that cool (the big footprint atoll) does have a big airstrip, with joint US/British operations.

As for DG is concerned, probably enhanced military activity would cause the British government to make this a temporarily not a cruiser friendly location to get near. Hopefully it's only temporary, right?

a footprint in the middle of nowhere.
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 11:07   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellback View Post
... As for DG is concerned, probably enhanced military activity would cause the British government to make this a temporarily not a cruiser friendly location to get near. Hopefully it's only temporary, right? ...
Wrong.

According to US information released under the Wikileaks programme on the Chagos Islands, the recently established marine park over the Chagos Is was a deliberate ploy to maintain US-UK defence relations and prevent the return of the islands inhabitants.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 12:18   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Wrong.

According to US information released under the Wikileaks programme on the Chagos Islands, the recently established marine park over the Chagos Is was a deliberate ploy to maintain US-UK defence relations and prevent the return of the islands inhabitants.
Yep. The illegal removal of the original inhabitants is truly a grotesque testament to our lack of morality at times. Then after illegally uprooting these defenseless people from their homeland, right after the European High Court ruled in their favor - they come up with this BS protected marine park (with a active polluting nuclear base right in the middle of it) as a means of preventing these folks from ever returning to their homeland per their legal right. Talk about adding insult to injury. The whole Chagos fiasco is simply disgusting, and inexcusable - no matter what spin is attempted to be put on it.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 14:04   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See also ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post579399

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 11:53   #42

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
told you so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Interestingly enough, I remember there was some discussion regarding the sanctuary on here back in the day, and this plot was actually suggested by some forumites (including my good self)

Tags
Chagos