Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Indian Ocean & Red Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2022, 19:53   #1

Cape Town to Nosy be then Seychelles passage

Morning all,
I hope this is the right platform, I am looking for advice on sailing from Cape Town through to Nose Be then onto Swychelles in Jan 2023 on a 50 foot Catamaran.
I am very aware I have a number of factors working against us.
Current, cyclone season and corruption to name 3. Im still very much in planning phase, the plan is to hug to coast ( try stay oit the currents) from Cape Town through to Ricahards Bay possibly straight to Maputo. We will have enough fuel for the whole journey, but will hopefully be powered by the right winds.

The bit i have never sailed is from Maputo onwards and any advice would be fantastic.

Thank you
Nick King
NickKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 21:07   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Cape Town to Nosy be then Seychelles passage

Search the Internet for a man named Des Cason. Based in South Africa (Durban, I think) he does weather routing for the area, and will have not only the navigational knowledge, but current knowledge of where you can anchor for protection without aggravation. Maputo was a port to avoid at all costs.
Old 07-11-2022, 23:30   #3

Boat: Leopard 40

Sent you a PM
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:46   #4

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

You don't need to go into Maputo (unless to check in?). The anchorage in Inhaca both inside and outside are safe depending on the wind and have good holding. You can still get very strong winds 60knots plus from nowhere even in season. There is no shelter between Richards Bay and Inhaca.

The biggest issue in the Mozambique channel between the mainland and Madagascar are the gyres, see currents Windy.com

There is very little south of Mahajanga (officials there are very welcoming and proper). I have only sailed south from there so needed to cross and stay close to mainland. I would assume you would need to be on the Madagascar side to go north. Sailing up the coast to the northern tip should be fine local sailing boats do it on a daily basis.

The seas and currents north of the tip are vicious - best of luck with that bit trying to go north and east.

Any reason not to wait for next season?
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 21:28   #5

Hi Tupia, thank you for your message
We don’t plan on going into Maputo, at this stage it seems best way is to cross to Madagascar hug West coast.

Departure date is around 28 Jan, it’s a delivery and boat needs to be in Seychelles by March.
I’ve heard about the passage North East of Mad and will certainly plan accordingly.

Thank you again
Regards
Nick
Old 12-01-2023, 16:22   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

You might want to check and verify that you can enter Madagascar -- has been closed to yachts for a long time. Mayotte is an alternative.
Old 12-01-2023, 19:57   #7

Thanks Paul,
I have heard there have been a few issues in Madagascar.
Mayotte is on our radar.
Cheers
Nick

Tags
cape town, passage, Seychelles