Hi guys, I thought I'd give a report about how it all went. The boat arrived in decent shape. There were some problems, but I expected some problems on a long delivery
. But this post isn't about that. Waikiki Yacht club was able to accommodate me for the first bit of time in Honolulu, and I thought their overnight rate was very fair ($75/night for my 50' sailboat). Shore-side security was good, everyone was super friendly, convenient location, and my kids
loved the pool. Unfortunately, they couldn't lower rates for a 3 month stay, so I decided I would go to Ko Olina. However, Ko Olina is quite far out of the way, and Ala Wai was able to put me on the "best" dock (F), one that has a friendly and active live-a-board community, safer location, good condition dock. I was able to find someone to check in on my boat once a week. he guy I found to look after my boat wouldn't have been able to visit Ko Olina as often, so I decided to go for Ala Wai. Lots of Ala Wai is a wreck, but this dock and mini-community are quite nice. The staff was very nice, but weren't into letting anything slide, and there was a long list of paperwork and inspections before we were allowed to stay. Painful administratively.
After a week of working on my boat, (thanks to North Sails
Honolulu for an expedited main repair) she was ready for my family
and I to have an adventure. We took advantage of calm weather
to go across the channel to Molokai. We saw so many whales we stopped pointing them out to each other, unless they were less than 100m away. Just tons of them. We saw a calf jump. We had Lono Harbor to ourself, and it was a pleasant and isolated place to hang with the family
we spent two nights there. Lots of beach time, no other boats. A few people in trucks fishing
. Then we went to Kaunakakai, which is a cute little town, but I guess I'd skip next time. The place the harbor master instructed me to anchor
would have put me aground. He assured me there was water
there, but I think I came inches from touching. I found one spot, and one spot only where I could anchor
(7'8" draft) with 1' under the keel
, without getting in the way of commercial
operations. Even though I anchored with my own ground tackle, they charged $5 dollars/night plus $10/person/night. So $55/night with no services to anchor. The harbor master was friendly, and later decided not to charge for the kids, so it ended up being $35/night to anchor.
On the way back we got roughed up in the channel, 35kn wind, and very confused seas with 3 different wave trains, some quite steep. Wave heights are very hard to estimate, but I'd say 12-15' and steep. My new boat
handled it very well, reaching with a reefed jib
and no main at 7kn. I expected balance would be poor with no main, but it wasn't, and decided not to raise the main when the wind dropped to 20-25kn because balance was already perfect. Interesting. In the lee of Oahu, we turned down wind a bit, raised a double reefed main, and made 8-9 knots all the way home. Very enjoyable, and the boat and family held together well during the rough start.
Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. It made it all much easier. briblack, very sorry we didn't connect. I was full throttle from dawn till dusk working on the boat until we pulled out. But I'm going to be back mid april to prepare the boat for the passage
back to Seattle, if you are around, I'd love to connect with you and anyone else interested.