Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2020, 04:07   #1

Washington - San Clemente Route

Looking for advice on best route and timing from Anacortes, WA to San Clemente Island, CA. Is it best to take the route offshore and bypass the coastal ports (not too terribly interested stopping along the way - been to them all via land routes already)? Any advice on timing? Follow on plan would be to continue to Baja, Central America, then Trades to South Pacific.

We're seasoned sailors, certified captain, etc., just no experience on this particular route...
ATCPinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 22:21   #2

Boat: Monk designed troller, 47'
Re: Washington - San Clemente Route

Winter crabbing is under way all along the coast. In the early seasons they typically concentrate their gear inside the 50 fathom line, but as the seasons progress the gear will start showing up out to the 80 and even 100 fathom lines. It will start moving out soon, if not already.

Not the only thing to think about, of course, but being well outside of the gear prevents the mild surprise of seeing a bouy bobbing in your wake. Or worse.
Hans2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 00:01   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Are you in the Navy? San Clemente Island is a restricted Navy island. Maybe you mean Catalina next door?
You need to break the trip up into essentially 3 portions based on the different weather in each.
First is Straits of Juan de Fuca to San Francisco. Then San Fran to South of Pt Conception and finally southern Cal.

What time of year are you planning?
Old 21-02-2020, 04:07   #4

Many west coast cruisers use the Baja Ha Ha as the trigger date to plan their departure. It leaves San Diego around Halloween each year. I did it in 2005 with 160 fellow boats.

Whether you join the rally or not, the time of year is attractive. There are occasional severe storms/hurricanes in lower Baja, and this is the earliest to leave to avoid (though technically, it's still barely within the hurricane season). I'd guess PNW participants leave in mid/late September. This coincides with a seasonal weather window of calm weather, so quite a bit of motoring vs sailing. You will need to plan for fuel stops if you take this route at this time of year.. Also, North of Cape Mendocino, not unusual to get light southerly winds this time of year so you may actually be sailing uphill. I have no knowledge of offshore from here, but would bring more wind and bigger seas. You would be more likely avoid the coastal southerlies mentioned of you stayed outside the 60 nms line. For a sailboat headed south, it's definitely an option, though not sure it's how I'd start a long cruise but that's a personal decision.

Ensenada is a popular port to clear into Mexico. With good reason - there are decent facilities and the marinas there will assist your clearance for little or no fee. You may want to bypass San Diego for there.

Good luck!

Peter
Ex delivery skipper along this coast.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 14:26   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Just a note, here. Some of the nicest sailing you'll ever have at sea is in the 10-15 kn. range, on the wind, but reaching off just a tad. If the OP's boat is a good light air boat, he would not have to motor through the calms, he can sail, gloriously. If it is a crab crusher, not so much.

If it is a good light air boat, he may sail all the way to Mexico without burning any fuel whatsoever. It's much shorter, but we sailed our 36 footer from San Diego to La Paz, BCS, and only ran the engine getting into anchorages. How much fuel the OP will need, and if he will need to replenish it, that will depend on the sailing characteristics of his vessel, and how he likes to do passages. Some of us like to motor; some hate motoring; and the rest are somewhere else on that continuum.

Ann
Old 21-02-2020, 16:50   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Check the Pacific Coast Sailors social group here, I have posted all the threads I could find so far related to travel along this coast. Check the drop-down menu from “community” above.
There is a thread in there entitled “Suggested waypoints for Wa to Sf to La” that may be helpful. Check post #11. You may want to contact that member directly too.

edit: OK I am now able to link them:
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...t+sailors.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...la-185936.html
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 17:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Are you in the Navy? San Clemente Island is a restricted Navy island. Maybe you mean Catalina next door?
You need to break the trip up into essentially 3 portions based on the different weather in each.
First is Straits of Juan de Fuca to San Francisco. Then San Fran to South of Pt Conception and finally southern Cal.

What time of year are you planning?
Yes, actually, I am in the Navy, and yes...I was wrong on the destination! You, however, are correct on both statements! Catalina is what I meant, though I've been to San Clemente on several occasions. Thanks for the clarification, as well as the pointers!
ATCPinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 18:21   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I posted the links to the threads above. As far as timing, I am looking forward to what others say too, but the conventional wisdom I believe is August and September. As far as my locale, SoCal, weather patterns have been changing over the years to the point where, for me anyway, I am not sure what is typical anymore.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 21:04   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

I've done the Puget Sound to San Fran run 4 times. For a boat that hasn't been offshore for awhile and a less experienced crew I suggest the third week of August as a good time to be in Neah Bay looking for a window to head south. Boats and crew that have recent offshore expeience can leave a bit latter, say mid Sept.
On most trips south you get a real mix of weather, from nice downwind sailing in NW winds to motoring in lightwind and a Pacific swell to a good, somewhat exciting blow around one of the Oregon capes or Cape Mendicino.
Going way offshore doesn't improve the trip and you may end up heading way back in to get fuel. There are a number of ports on the way down where you can sit out weather like Newport or Crescent City.

From San Fran south it is timing your run to get some decent weather and watching the rounding of Cape Conception.
Southern Cal that time of year is pretty benign. Play around till its time to stage in San Diego to head to Mexico. Most time the exit from San Diego after Nov 1st with no storms brewing. If you don't go with the rally crowd, then clearing into Mexico in Ensenada makes sense.
Make sure the crew has good, warm offshore wear as it gets really cold on night watch coming down the Pacific coast.

Tags
men, route, washing, Washington