Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2018, 19:21   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Visa renewal Malaysia changes 2018 and 3rd party insurance

Found this on Noonsite today.

Yacht crews heading to Thailand from Langkawi will not be issued 90 day (or for some nationalities,30 day) tourist visas on their return to Malaysia, unless they have been 'away' for at least seven days. It is not known whether these new regulations will soon apply throughout Malaysia, but for now it seems likely that they are restricted to Langkawi.

Last updated March 2018.

Anyone in Langkawi or other ports of Malaysia encounter this yet?

My plan was to come to Langkawi and take ferry to Satun to renew visa. Now it looks like I will have to stay in Satun 7 nights to get a renewal.

It is looking like a 2 year visa would be better to get. Costs?

Also Langkawi requests 3rd party insurance. Any suggestions.

Thanks so much.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 02:38   #2
Nor

Re: Visa renewal Malaysia changes 2018 and 3rd party insurance

Malaysia is making visa runs more difficult in general. I don't have information specific to Langkawi, but it has been reported that you have to stay out for 1 week after staying close to 3 months, or staying out 3 days in you have only stayed a short term before re-entering. A friend of mine (arriving by plane to Penang) after staying 2 x 3 months was interrogated and only got 14 days. Other reports of people not getting in at all after having stayed 2x3 months, return with next plane where they came from.

I'm not sure how this would work when arriving by sea to Langkawi, but I would suggest staying out at least 1 week before reentering. And staying long term might not be possible anymore (without another long term visa).
Nor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, Malaysia