Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2011, 22:09   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau First 36.7
Vancouver to Panama

I am considering sailing my Beneteau First 36.7 from Vancouver to Panama (pacific side). When would be a good time of year to go? Approximately how long would the journey be?
The alternative is to ship it to Costa Rica or Panama. Any advice?
Thanks very kindly.
Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 22:15   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
th best tome to sail south from vancouver to panama is in fall. hurrycame season happens...nov thru feb is usual window.. june thru november is hurrycame season.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 22:23   #3

Leave after the spring gales have become infrequent. June thru October.

Allow several weeks to several years.

Ship it?!? Silly idea. You'd miss an easy, fun, rewarding cruise.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 22:37   #4

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
August, Sept., or October are the best time for Vancouver to San Diago. Don't leave California until the end of the hurricane season, Gctober 31st.
If you put your blinders on and go like heck you can be in Panama in a month easy.
I'd suggest two years to get to Panama, with one sailing season in the Sea of Cortez.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 20:09   #5
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the responses. There seem to be quite a range of opinions about optimal time to go down. Some say late fall, some suggest summer after the spring gales. I'd love to hear from a sailor that has sailed most of this (Vancouver BC Canada to Panama).

Thanks all!
Old 26-01-2011, 20:24   #6

Boat: Sceptre 41
I have sailed Vancouver to La Paz Mexico. I did it in stepped trips. Vancouver to Columbia River (in Sep) where we had to motor the entire way. Oregon to San Francisco in May where we sailed 50/50. SF to San Diego in October again had to Motor most of the way. San Diego to Cabo at end of October had a heavy wind sail all the way. Hurricane season ends around Nov 1st so don't go too far South before that.

As far as time goes it is about 4k nm at 5 knots made good you are looking at 33 days if you didn't stop. There is a lot to see and to enjoy so how long it takes is not really a question that can be answered. I would take my time and do it over the course of a few years. Someone else might want to get it over with and do it in 33 days.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 21:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific View Post
Thanks for the responses. There seem to be quite a range of opinions about optimal time to go down. Some say late fall, some suggest summer after the spring gales. I'd love to hear from a sailor that has sailed most of this (Vancouver BC Canada to Panama).

Thanks all!
Unlike other forums, the opinions expressed herein are from individuals who have walked the walk. There are to many who have done so for any BS to get to far in any thread.

The differences are the result of that phase "it depends".

Welcome to our forum!
Old 26-01-2011, 22:00   #8

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I can only talk about the best and earliest time to sail from San Francisco to San Diego, and that would be the Spring months March, April and May and half of June. I agree with others in doing this in legs, and letting weather conditions dictate the legs.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 22:03   #9

I'm the one who suggested to leave after the spring gales. Blurted out because I would want to leave as soon as possible. However I dwaddle at ports, so I hadn't properly considered that one might actually skip all the great stops and arrive in Mexico while the hurricane season is still on ... so ... yes ... so like the wise poster wrote: maybe don't leave San Diego until late October ... like with the Baja Ha Ha! What a great idea!
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 22:54   #10

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
I'm the one who suggested to leave after the spring gales. Blurted out because I would want to leave as soon as possible. However I dwaddle at ports, so I hadn't properly considered that one might actually skip all the great stops and arrive in Mexico while the hurricane season is still on ... so ... yes ... so like the wise poster wrote: maybe don't leave San Diego until late October ... like with the Baja Ha Ha! What a great idea!
When we bought out boat in San Francisco I was originally going to sail it 24/7 down the coast to San Diego, but then I thought I might not ever make this passage again so why not port hop down the coast. So I port hopped down the coast taking my time, and it was one of the most memorable times I've had.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 00:17   #11

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. Here was our voyage down to San Diego after circumnavigating Vancouver Island. Ucuelet to Crescent City, CA in early September. Eureka to San Franscisco in early October. San Franscisco to San Diego late October. From San Diego, like Daddle suggests, join the Baja Ha Ha to Cabo and continue on to Panama from there. All the best. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 10:58   #12
Marine Service Provider

Thanks! Sounds like a dream come true!
Old 27-01-2011, 18:40   #13

Boat: a sailing boat
Probably start in the summer, stop for the hurricane season somewhere nice and warm, then continue in November.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 17:40   #14
Marine Service Provider

Re: Vancouver to Panama

We hope to settle in El Valle de Anton. The closest sea access looks like it is around the San Carlos District. Anyone have any idea where the closest marina would be?
Old 01-03-2011, 21:14   #15

Re: Vancouver to Panama

Paclfic,
Where the heck is the San Carlos District? What country, State, Providence, where?
And once you get there, what's El Valle de Anton?

Marinas are in VERY short supply on the left side of Central America, once south of Mexico.

Tags
Panama