Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2015, 11:01   #1

Boat: monsun 31
Vancouver To Cabo San Lucas During Hurricane Season

Hi everyone,

I´m a swedish sailor, my boat is currantly in vancouver after a northwestpassage transit. I´m planning to sail my 31 feet boat from Vancouver 1 of june and wish arrive in Cabo around mid august.

I´m aware of that this is during hurricane season and would like to have some input from other saliors that have done this.

Is it possible to do this safely. How long does the hurricanes last and what is the weather in between. Is there o lot of people defying the hurricane season out on the ocean during htis period ?

Best regards

edvin
Old 18-02-2015, 11:16   #2

Re: vancouver to Cabo san lucas during hurricane season

August would be an early Pacific hurricane right?, and if monitoring the weather brewing you will know if something is up. Only less than a week from San Diego to Cabo.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 11:26   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Most people going south stop in SFO, LA or San Diego to wait out the hurricane season.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 12:09   #4

yeah.. waiting would be the wise thing to do. But I need to be back in sweden buy 1 sep And i cant afford to put the boat on the hard in califonia.
Old 18-02-2015, 15:50   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Maybe you should read the thread on "Sailing from New England to Australia in Feb". But of course you are different and "it'll be right mate" or whatever they say in Sweden.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 16:19   #6

Going down the coast in June is fine and you are not in any hurricane areas until you get as far south as the middle of the Baja. Hurricanes have hit the southern parts of the Baja and there effects have been felt in the middle of the Baja as well. Most cruisers head down in November from Southern California. The later part of the season is usually more dangerous than the early part of the season. You can sail from SC to the mainland Mexico in a week or less depending on the boat so it would be a personal decision as to the risk factor although once you are in mainland Mexico you have hundreds of other cruisers in the same area so its certainly not all that risky.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 16:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by belzebub2 View Post
yeah.. waiting would be the wise thing to do. But I need to be back in sweden buy 1 sep And i cant afford to put the boat on the hard in califonia.
I think that you will find that it's no less expensive in Mexico. Certainly not in Cabo. US prices prevail in most of Mexico.
KnuckleDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 19:48   #8

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Port of Astoria,Oregon has a yard along with Warrenton and Ilwaco,wa. Portland Oregon has some affordable marinas.
The marina I keep my 42' sailboat in is $225 a month with power.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 09:02   #9

Boat: Niagara 35

Perhaps people here can help with the larger question of how to get you back to Sweden on time if you gave some more details. The main one that comes to mind is how long you plan to be gone from your boat.

If all you're looking for is cheap dry storage, you may be able to find some in one of the smaller towns in BC or Washington where you are now. You could cruise the PNW for the summer, then lay up the boat and fly home.

Most people make the run in late August and then wait in California until the end of October before heading into Mexico, but I think you already know that.

Personally, I wouldn't play with hurricane season. However, they're pretty well forecast. If you have good weather information and are never more than a few days from a hurricane hole, you can probably manage the risks.

There was a lot of damage in Cabo last hurricane. Boats that were lost and so were sailors.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 09:03   #10

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsailordiver View Post
Port of Astoria,Oregon has a yard along with Warrenton and Ilwaco,wa. Portland Oregon has some affordable marinas.

Nice. that's a third of what I pay in Vancouver!
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 09:12   #11

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsailordiver View Post

True... and a few years ago Warrenton Marina was $800/yr. Astoria has a yard but it's probably more expensive. I wouldn't bother coming up to Portland.
Old 19-02-2015, 09:28   #12

And check with your insurance company. You may not be covered during hurricane season. Lots of good advice given in above posts.

Dave
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 08:03   #13

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Casamance 44
Re: Vancouver To Cabo San Lucas During Hurricane Season

Hurricanes don't visit San Diego, so you only need concern yourself with the part of your journey in Mexico. Hurricane season is from June thru October, so hang in San Diego until you see a weather window and then make your move to Cabo. The waves and winds will be with you and you'll have a wonderful sail.

Unfortunately Cabo is not a good place to be (unprotected and expensive), certainly not in hurricane season, so you'll want to get out of there ASAP. For the balance of hurricane season you need to either go way north into the Sea of Cortez or cross over to Mazatlan where you can get into a marina that most consider a hurricane hole. If you choose a marina up in the Sea, you'll be in San Carlos where they charge about $10/foot/month. PM me if you have any questions.
vivabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 07:16   #14

Changing plan and thread
Cheep long term storage califonia or northern mexico - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Im now realising that the distance is to great to cover in three month and still be able to enjoy myself.
Old 02-04-2015, 18:45   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Ensenada has several great marinas just south of San Diego in Mexico. Hurricane free. Problem with making run to Cabo during hurricane season is you will be leaving boat in hurricane area. No perfect hurricane holes. Cabo marina more expensive than San Diego. La paz similar to ensenada. Insurance will be almost impossible. Visit us in San Diego. I'm heading south end of October and keeping boat in ensenada at coral marina until then.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane