Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2020, 18:46   #1

Boat: Island Packet 40
The Reef Ain't Dead

Professor Peter Ridd lost his job at the James Cook University because he criticised the quality of some of the research papers being published on damage to the Great Barrier Reel by the so called climate change. The matter went before the courts which found in Ridd’s favour. It has now found it’s way into the political sphere and is the subject of a Senate enquiry.

Since the parent parliament to the Australian chose to lop the head of an intransigent sovereign most sensible folks figure it unwise to mess about with parliaments. Consequently many of the facts being uncovered are probably both truthful and very interesting.

It was revealed by the Head of the Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) that contrary to the alarmist THE REEF IS DEAD headlines that only 3 percent of the inshore reefs is affected by pesticides and sediment and that the other 97 percent mostly 50 to 100 kilometeres offshore wher the majority of the reef is situated is totally unaffected.

Some corrals live for hundreds of years and like trees form annual growth rings the characteristics of which reliably infer coral health. These naturally occurring records show no slowing of corral growth in the 100 years to 2005 that agriculture has been practiced in Australia. There are no reliable records since 2005 as AIMS claimed corral growth rates collapsed between 1990 and 2005 because of global warming however this amazingly coincides with a change of methodology with the data between 1990 and 2005 (We’re just going to have to make this sort of thing a criminal offense with long gaol sentences for the perpetrators, they result in vast wastage of tax payer funds. BOM has also adjusted the historical temperature records down twice to allow a sequence of record high temperatures to be recorded) and under duress AIMS has agreed to update the data.

To it’s credit AIMS has recently instituted an opposing team approach to the evaluation of studies on the reef rather than depending on peer review, which is proving to be a very poor quality control process . One team argues for and one against the hypothesis contained in a body of research and if done diligently and rigorously this might provide the public with more accurate and objective information (I've got my fingers crossed on this one. Whilst we are remarkably free of material corruption in Australia we are exceptionally good at corrupting or perverting any process devised by mankind)

So, if you want to visit Australia and dive on healthy reef, apparently it ain't all dead and when this stupid covid panic this dies down you're all welcome.
Old 15-09-2020, 19:43   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: THE REEF AINT DEAD

Another case of "dont question the narrative" , it's a dangerous world we live in.
Old 15-09-2020, 23:42   #3

Boat: Alajuela 33

On the other hand.....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/...hange/11026540

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...enting-science

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...dismissal-case
Old 15-09-2020, 23:54   #4

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Professor Peter Ridd lost his job at the James Cook University because he criticised the quality of some of the research papers being published on damage to the Great Barrier Reel by the so called climate change. The matter went before the courts which found in Ridd’s favour. It has now found it’s way into the political sphere and is the subject of a Senate enquiry.

Since the parent parliament to the Australian chose to lop the head of an intransigent sovereign most sensible folks figure it unwise to mess about with parliaments. Consequently many of the facts being uncovered are probably both truthful and very interesting.

It was revealed by the Head of the Australian Institute of Marine Science (AIMS) that contrary to the alarmist THE REEF IS DEAD headlines that only 3 percent of the inshore reefs is affected by pesticides and sediment and that the other 97 percent mostly 50 to 100 kilometeres offshore wher the majority of the reef is situated is totally unaffected.

Some corrals live for hundreds of years and like trees form annual growth rings the characteristics of which reliably infer coral health. These naturally occurring records show no slowing of corral growth in the 100 years to 2005 that agriculture has been practiced in Australia. There are no reliable records since 2005 as AIMS claimed corral growth rates collapsed between 1990 and 2005 because of global warming however this amazingly coincides with a change of methodology with the data between 1990 and 2005 (We’re just going to have to make this sort of thing a criminal offense with long gaol sentences for the perpetrators, they result in vast wastage of tax payer funds. BOM has also adjusted the historical temperature records down twice to allow a sequence of record high temperatures to be recorded) and under duress AIMS has agreed to update the data.

To it’s credit AIMS has recently instituted an opposing team approach to the evaluation of studies on the reef rather than depending on peer review, which is proving to be a very poor quality control process . One team argues for and one against the hypothesis contained in a body of research and if done diligently and rigorously this might provide the public with more accurate and objective information (I've got my fingers crossed on this one. Whilst we are remarkably free of material corruption in Australia we are exceptionally good at corrupting or perverting any process devised by mankind)

So, if you want to visit Australia and dive on healthy reef, apparently it ain't all dead and when this stupid covid panic this dies down you're all welcome.
Do you have a link to your source. I'm not a supporter of the man made part so I'm not doubting you, I just want to be able to quote it
Old 16-09-2020, 01:48   #5

Hi The report comes from the proceedings of the Australian Senate Inquiry on the reef. As the full report will not be finalized for some time you can read about the ongoing proceedings from any major newspaper in Aust. The Daily Telegraph and the Sydney Morning Herald have good reports.
Old 16-09-2020, 10:55   #6

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:

Too many scientists scrambling for grants out there looking for problems that don't exist.
Old 16-09-2020, 11:07   #7

Yes the reef ain't dead. Can you claim it's in robust good health, or that there's no serious threats to it, now and in the near future?

In a reef that size, you're always going to be able to find several patches of a hundred square meters or so that look ok and have pretty fishies for the day-trippers, so no fear of losing the tourism.
Old 16-09-2020, 11:18   #8

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:

So. As the coral reefs of the world may or may not be breathing their last, it's perfectly fine to keep pumping our atmosphere full of toxins? To use the air we breath as a 'sewage dump', just like allowing pesticides, herbicides and the like into the water (fresh or salt) is just a damn shame. Whether climate change/global warming is caused by humans or is a natural phenomenon doesn't really matter. It wouldn't take that big an effort to do the right thing and at least slow the dumping of pollutants into the sea, and the air we breath. And it would be nice to try and rein in some of the millions of tons of garbage that goes into the oceans every year, too. Especially the plastic. It's sickening. Make it stop!
All that said, I have to think of your post as positive news, and look forward to visiting your Great Barrier Reefs. Thanks for the update.
Old 16-09-2020, 11:21   #9

You make some good points and some poor ones. I have no problem with contrasting teams to vet research. The fact that only a small percentage of the great barrier reef is dead/damaged does not disprove climate change and I have personally seen bleached out reefs in the Seychelles and Maldives where the only reasonable explanation is warming seas. It may just be a matter of time. And please leave Covid out of this unless you don't trust doctors either. I live in the states with near 200k dead, two whom I know including a 54 year old woman.
Old 16-09-2020, 11:23   #10

I'll believe scientists over politicians any day. As Australia is a major exporter of coal to China, I'm assuming your politicians (just like ours), are bought and paid for by the climate change denying fossil fuel companies.
Old 16-09-2020, 11:25   #11

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

I'm with Dr Ridd.

If it looks like a skunk, acts like a skunk, & smells like a skunk, it probably is.

Capt Wayne
Waiting to visit the GBR myself in 2021 or?
Old 16-09-2020, 11:25   #12

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
The court did not say that Ridd is right, nor did they agree with his views. They found in his favour that he was inappropriately terminated. I agree with the court's view and their reasoning but disagree with Ridd's views.
Old 16-09-2020, 11:34   #13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Yes the reef ain't dead. Can you claim it's in robust good health, or that there's no serious threats to it, now and in the near future?

In a reef that size, you're always going to be able to find several patches of a hundred square meters or so that look ok and have pretty fishies for the day-trippers, so no fear of losing the tourism.
Sort of....

Keep in mind that access to the majority of the reef is very highly controlled so the areas that are open to visitors are very small and see normally see thousands of swimmers/divers per day. These are the areas that are devastated and give the general population a skewed view of the condition of the reef

The 0.001% of visitors with access to their own boat can easily see truly beautiful areas.
Old 16-09-2020, 12:29   #14

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
The court did not say that Ridd is right, nor did they agree with his views. They found in his favour that he was inappropriately terminated. I agree with the court's view and their reasoning but disagree with Ridd's views.
Ridd's crime was that he refused to accord with the CC/AGM zeitgeist prevailing in the educational institution he was part of. He chose to stay loyal to and defend the integrity of the scientific method as he believed was his duty as a scientist. The first court supported Ridd in this however the university board chose to appeal the judgement and now Ridd is attempting to raise the funding required to take the case to the High Court of Australia.

Basically it comes down to whether Ridd, who is attempting to defend the scientific method and traditional freedom of enquiry and scholastic opinion of the tertiary education system, or the university administration, which is defending it's marketing and grant raising activities, prevails.
Old 16-09-2020, 12:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Magic View Post
I'll believe scientists over politicians any day. As Australia is a major exporter of coal to China, I'm assuming your politicians (just like ours), are bought and paid for by the climate change denying fossil fuel companies.
And the politicians buy the scientists to help push their agendas.

I really like the idea of an adversarial team approach. Too often the peer review process is just an echo chamber with everyone fighting for the latest govt grants, so they don't dare challenge the "consensus".
Closed Thread