Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2020, 21:34   #1

Surveyor in Singapore

I'm looking for recommendations on a marine surveyor in Singapore to do an inspection on a 1996 43' steel Bruce Roberts R434 sailboat. Any advice would be greatly helpful. Thank you
Mike
Liberty Risk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 22:15   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Surveyor in Singapore

Hi Liberty Risk, needs some hull work sounds like a scary statement from a broker? What’s with the dents on the bow topsides? I like the sound of the low hour Yanmar? How olds the rigging?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 22:33   #3

Wow, I didn't see those two dents on the bow! They either hit something or slammed into the pier in the past. The SS rigging was new in 2007 with Norseman threaded terminals opened, inspected and re- bedded 2015 . It looks like someone really put a lot of time and money into this boat in 2015 and that's when the hull was sandblasted back to bare steel and painted. I'm thinking the paint issues come from that bad prep.
Old 05-02-2020, 22:43   #4

You might need to start a new thread regarding the rigging? I am really interested to see what people say about the rigging being inspected, terminals re-bedded and the stainless steel wire not being replaced? Usually it’s 10 years on the wire then the insurance company wants it replaced?
Where are you based Liberty Risk and what’s the appeal about this yacht?
Cheers
Old 05-02-2020, 23:17   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

In 2015 it was very difficult to get replacement cones for Norsemen fitti gs, as they we re discontinued by the original manufacturer. It is a bit easier now, as a third party is offering the cones
https://www.amazon.com/Tylaska-retro.../dp/B0764JNC19
Old 06-02-2020, 01:26   #6

Paul L that’s interesting but I wonder about the life of the wire? If just re-bedding the terminals meant the rigging wire was good again then why not just cut the swages of old rigging wires and swage them again?
Cheers
Old 06-02-2020, 01:36   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Paul L that’s interesting but I wonder about the life of the wire? If just re-bedding the terminals meant the rigging wire was good again then why not just cut the swages of old rigging wires and swage them again?
Cheers
Probably because wire isn't that expensive and perhaps you'd have to cut too far back on each end to make it work. Reheading rod rigging is somewhat popular. Here you cut the end off the rod and rehead it. Rod rigging is more expensive than wire.

The mechcanical fitting manufacturers mostly say not to reuse the cones.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 04:16   #8

Fore and Aft, I really appreciate your guys insight on this. I'm based in the Philippines and looking for a capable cruiser and love the pilot house this boat has. I would love to learn her history of where she's been, who made her, the type of steel used and her last survey. I'm flying out in a week or so to take a look at her and if she looks good I would like to set up a survey and see how she looks under the waterline. Been all over the place looking at boats and so far I really like the looks of this one.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:46   #9

Hi Liberty Risk,
I was wondering if you did Survey the Bruce Roberts. I found an add for a Bruce Roberts R434 in Singapore dated back August and am contacting the seller for more info, Wondering if it is the same boat you where interested in and if yes, why you didn't go for it.
Right now I am on the market for a capable cruiser that could bring me back to Europe once I finish my job in Singapore and any info you can spare would be very welcome.
Thanks
Raymond
ora726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 13:37   #10

If it's the same steel Bruce Roberts boat I looked at I'd stay away. I contacted the broker a nice British gentleman and asked if it had any major issues because I would be flying in from the Philippines during the start of Covid and he said none at all. That was a blatant lie and he knew it. The boat I found after much research from me had a hole in the steel hull due to the rotten steel tanks. They patched it year earlier with a piece of wood. The broker keep emailing and the owner wanted it gone so badly that he offered it to me for about $9k but I turned him down. This boat was located at Raffles Marina and he later told some guy bought it at the marina. I would stay away from her. The boats name was Nakhuda.
Old 05-01-2022, 13:43   #11

Ok, I looked up the boat for sale in Singapore and that's the same boat. A lot of old pictures in the add because I remembered a lot of bad rust around the cockpit windows. The boat was bought I think in 2010 ish by a family of 4 who used it for cheap housing and never maintained it. These pictures where from before that except maybe the new bottom job. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2022, 17:56   #12

Thanks Liberty Risk!
Sorry in advance if you see two posts, I answered you once but for some reason could not see my post and am re-submitting now.
Sorry you had to come all the way from the PH for a dud, I have the advantage of being based in SG so less of a problem.
I was concerned about the black Iron Fuel tanks and your findings are spot on.
Found the posting on facebook but not adding it here in case it is the reason for the previous message not to show, you can look a the Facebook group "Boats & Related Stuff For Sale In Singapore" if interested.
In a different place than singapore I would not be so worried about some Steal rot as they are reasonably easy to fix, but in Singapore I am out of my depth, would not know who to trust for a repair and would definitely be scarred of not being able to control cost or do some of the work on my own, especially now that Covid make it near impossible to move the boat around for maintenance.
The owner answered that he is living onboard in Rafles Marina, so definitely same boat.
Will be back in Singapore end of the month and have asked for recent pics, will visit if it show some care and love and will definitely look at the tanks and enquiry about the extent of the repairs done with the bottom Job.
At 9K it might have been worth it's weight in scrap metal :-)
If you are interested I'll let you know what I find.
Have you found your dream boat and on what have you settled ?
Thanks again for the great infos!
ora726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:07   #13

I hope you find your dream boat and that area I'd look in Langkawi. I bought a boat in Florida and now finishing up the mini refit and will head to the Keys soon. I really wish you luck.

Tags
Singapore, survey, surveyor