Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2006, 20:59   #16

Gondwanaland. Sounds African to me!!

Great story Wheels. Have you ever read about the ancient Mayans of South America? Now there's some good reading there.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 23:50   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Actually it's Indian. To be more precise, it is an area in central India and is considered to be ruffly the centre of the original giant land mass. The rock formations along with fossils of plant life tha are found here, are also found in South America and in South Africa. The species at the time were unique to this area and did not grow anywhere else. So for them to turn up in two other continents, meant they had to have once been together. The original concept of a great single landmass was thought about in the very early 1900's. It had been argued about amongst scientists for years and had never really been acepted, untill in the 60's, when evidence of Sea floor spreading was captured by deep sea diving vessels. It is now widely accepted that contenental drift did and still does happen.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2006, 14:15   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Maori's are misplaced Hawaiians

There is a theory, believe based on language similarities, that the Maoris are actually Hawaiians who got lost on a vacation sail to Tahiti.

There was regular voyaging between what is now French Polynesia and Hawaii. In fact, there is evidence that the Tahitians actually subjugated the original settlers of Hawaii, who were from the Marquesas, in the 16th century.

Anyhow, there is a Hawaiian legend that the God Maui fished the Hawaiian islands out of the ocean. Same as the Maori legend. Wouldn't give the Polynesians great credit for discovering plate tectonics.

The Polynesians did have the ability to determine longitude as well as latitude from celestial observations. Also a superb understanding of ocean dynamics that allowed them to sail all over the Pacific Basin and back without compasses. Way ahead of the rather rudimentary navigation of the Europeans.

Unfortunately, they lost the ability, possibly because too many of the voyagers ended up as the main course in feasts celebrating there arrival.

As far as care and conservation of the eco system by the Polynesian, they weren't very good at it. The moa was driven to extinction by the Maoris as well as most other edible birds on the Islands. In Hawaii, as many indigenous birds went extinct after the arrival of the Hawaiians as have gone extinct after the arrival of Captain Cook.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2006, 23:48   #19

Re: Maori's are misplaced Hawaiians

Quote:
The Polynesians did have the ability to determine longitude as well as latitude from celestial observations.
How did they do longitude?

I know they could recognize various attributes of the ocean like patterns of the waves or prevailing winds or whatever, but celestial? You need a clock to determine longitude from celestial observations.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:48   #20

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Longtitude

You do not need longtitude, just like Columbus. You know how far up and down you are, so you go left or right until you hit something. The clouds over the islands can be visible for up to 150 miles on the ocean. The migrating birds know where they are going. You feed the birds and follow the ones that ate too much. When I went to the polynesia Cultural Center in 1968 / 69 there were quite a few Maoris there. They were teaching the Hawaiins about their common culture. The Yankees made it illegal for the Hawaiins to speak and practice the culture. This did not happen in NZ. The Maori were very war like in there earlier stages. It is possible that war caused some to leave. Do not know if the winners or the losers left. There appears to be two groups that arrived in NZ, about 400 and 600 years ago. We were told that the first group were a different race called the Mori Ori. Since then we have been told that they were an earlier group of Maori. Either way the second group bumped them off. I think that Easter Island also has Maori groups. They all apparently started on the mainland in SE Asia area and made it to many islands. The most closely related seem to be the Hawaiins and the Maori.
The birds would have told the Maori that there was land to the South. There is more info on this subject somewhere on the great world of the internet.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:11   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
It is now know that the early pacific island ancestors came from out of Asia. A bit of a mix from that area as well. Some DNA has even be traced back to the Himilayas. What so far is know, is that they came down the indoniasian islands to then scatter out into the pacific. What is also known is that the early navigators new exactly what they were doing. It was not a case of being blown off course and getting lost with a chance running into land. What is known, is that the early explorers set off from an inhabited land with enough food and water and actually navigated and charted there progress in a direction. They sailed against the weather patterns and currents. Once they reached a point of maximum distance/ safe return, if they had not seen land, they would return with all the weather paterns and currents aiding them. They would continue doing these searches till they found land. The path has now been plotted of finding the Islands of the mida Pacific area first, right out to Tahiti. NZ and Hawaii were the two hardest land masses to reach. NZ could only be reached by getting as far east as Tahiti and then turning down south and back west. Then same, for Hawaii, but of course, turning north respectively.
What is still not known, is how these early people new NZ and Hawaii actually existed. Finding the Pacific Islands was relatively easy. But NZ and Hawaii were way out of the way as far as they were concerned. There is speculation that there may have been an explorer even before them. But so far there is no real hard evedence. Some strange land features that almost look man made and are very very old, but no scientist has proven what they are. Just a big argument between ones that say they are man made, and they do have some good arguments, and those that believe that they are natural, and they too have some good arguments. Strong reasearch is still to be done. But if it is true, it is possible that man of possible Viking or similar origin could have been first here. And that stories of a Southern land may have been told to Pacific island inhabitants which then set off to explore.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:04   #22

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
The birds

The birds told them there was land further South.
If I was on an Island called Kelowna and noticed that a Says Feebe showed up on the same day in February every year and went to the same spot in the outpost, I could reasonably assume that it was the same bird or a relative of the same bird. If I observed that bird fly further North I could assume that he has another spot there. Later in the year if I observed the bird fly South I could assume that there was another spot ( land ) to the South. If I followed the bird I would find the land to the South.
I think if you go outside and look up you will see thousands of birds migrating. If you follow them you will find out where they are going.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote