Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2018, 08:02   #1

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Socorro Islands, any up to date info?

I'm looking to head out the the Socorro Islands in Mexico in January and am wondering if anyone has been there in the last year or so?

I'm specifically looking for info on the permit that is needed, I've spoken to two people in the port captain office who give conflicting advice, and neither has any idea on the cost.

One said I need to physically take the boat and crew to cabo san lucas, apply for the permit and wait up to three weeks to find out if it will be issued, the other said I can do it all from puerto vallerta in a couple of days.....

Fingers crossed someone has been out there recently!
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 09:57   #2

Boat: Allied 39
Re: Socorro Islands, any up to date info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
I'm looking to head out the the Socorro Islands in Mexico in January and am wondering if anyone has been there in the last year or so?

I'm specifically looking for info on the permit that is needed, I've spoken to two people in the port captain office who give conflicting advice, and neither has any idea on the cost.

One said I need to physically take the boat and crew to cabo san lucas, apply for the permit and wait up to three weeks to find out if it will be issued, the other said I can do it all from puerto vallerta in a couple of days.....

Fingers crossed someone has been out there recently!
I have not been out to Socorro for years and was one of the first boats to take advantage of the new permit process after they were closed for a number of years. We did NOT have to go to Cabo or bring the boat anywhere for inspection of course things change often in Mexico. We did the paperwork without an agent. See our old write up on our website
Other Good Stuff

There use to be an agent that was located in Marina de La Paz facility that for a small fee would obtain all the necessary paperwork and permits you needed. We have friends that used her for years. I don't remember her name or contact info but if you call Marina de La Paz and ask them for it.

Also Philio's girlfriend use to facilitate the paperwork process from PV but sadly Philio passed away and I am not sure what happened to her. Port Captains are clueless regarding the procedure.

I will try to confirm MDL agents name and contact info and post here

Good luck

Chuck
Jacaranda
Mo'orea, French Polynesia
Old 30-12-2018, 08:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
I have not been out to Socorro for years and was one of the first boats to take advantage of the new permit process after they were closed for a number of years. We did NOT have to go to Cabo or bring the boat anywhere for inspection of course things change often in Mexico. We did the paperwork without an agent. See our old write up on our website
Other Good Stuff

There use to be an agent that was located in Marina de La Paz facility that for a small fee would obtain all the necessary paperwork and permits you needed. We have friends that used her for years. I don't remember her name or contact info but if you call Marina de La Paz and ask them for it.

Also Philio's girlfriend use to facilitate the paperwork process from PV but sadly Philio passed away and I am not sure what happened to her. Port Captains are clueless regarding the procedure.

I will try to confirm MDL agents name and contact info and post here

Good luck

Chuck
Jacaranda
Mo'orea, French Polynesia
Thank you Chuck. I have got a little further and think I have the name of someone in the parks office who deals with the permits, just wiating on her getting back to me, but would still be interested if you find the contact in MDL.

The requirements have got somewhat more stringent since your visit, now all crew need to be certified divers, you are not allowed to carry any fishing gear on the boat at all and, this is the real kicker, you have to have a certified local guide with you at all times. This increases the costs dramatically.....

If I get a permit Ill do a full write up and post the info here for future visitors.
Old 31-12-2018, 00:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
Thank you Chuck. I have got a little further and think I have the name of someone in the parks office who deals with the permits, just wiating on her getting back to me, but would still be interested if you find the contact in MDL.

The requirements have got somewhat more stringent since your visit, now all crew need to be certified divers, you are not allowed to carry any fishing gear on the boat at all and, this is the real kicker, you have to have a certified local guide with you at all times. This increases the costs dramatically.....

If I get a permit Ill do a full write up and post the info here for future visitors.
Reply from some folks headed to Socorro soon

We leave Friday.
As for the requirements, no, nothing like that. They did ask about DAN insurance, dive certs etc but not required. Only had to provide the info that we had along with boat docs, passports, dates, etc. Your friends might have misunderstood.
Old 02-01-2019, 16:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
Reply from some folks headed to Socorro soon

We leave Friday.
As for the requirements, no, nothing like that. They did ask about DAN insurance, dive certs etc but not required. Only had to provide the info that we had along with boat docs, passports, dates, etc. Your friends might have misunderstood.
Hi Chuck, thank you for posting their response, certainly seems easier than I thought. I'm having no luck with my contact, would you be able to ask your friends who they arranged the permit with?
Old 03-01-2019, 16:11   #6

We are headed out of internet range and in passage mode for at least a week if not more.

Did you call Marina De La Paz and ask them for the agent contact info that has an office on their property. I remember her name Yolanda but forget the name of her business. I would then call her on the. phone and ask her if she is still doing Socorro permits. Emails sometimes get lost in Mexican businesses.