Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2016, 20:28   #16

Boat: 38ft steel,Adams
Re: Singapore to Koh Samui

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Also, Tioman dosen't have to be a first stop. Once around Singapore you can stop at a number of little islands along the way. The fishing traffic in my opnion isn't an issue compared to the Malacca straits.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yes agreed Dale. Was thinking of making a few stops before Tioman. Do you remember the name of those islands or the Lat and Long. I have got a few marked already plus a few coastal stops before Tioman....they are only rest stops! They look pretty average on google just quietly.
LLoyd Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 22:24   #17
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
We sailed from Singapore to Port Dixon and enjoyed our stay at the Admiral Marina, though they have few facilities for yachts other than First World docks. The rest of our passage north was marred by frequent, intense squalls and very heavy fishing boat traffic who know nothing of the rules of the road - they have right-of-way and you don't, even if they're not fishing. We had many friends in cruising boats who anchored at night but they, too, had problems with fishing boats setting drift nets up-current from them and either telling them to get out of the way or letting the net get fouled on the yacht and demanding hundreds of dollars for the damage caused to the nets. It took one of our friends two days to extricate themselves from the net (he could only work on it during the daylight at slack water) and cost them £400.

We know of several cruisers who transited the Mallaca Straits several times without incident but for us it was one of our least favorite passages. We hope your passage is fun and uneventful.

Good luck, fair winds and calm seas.

We have just done the trip 3 weeks back and this is our third trip to Thailand from Singapore and yes the fishing boats are a pain but l would never pay them anything as once you start they will keep going and it will never end.

Overall the trip is easy enough and Admirals Marina is a great little place to stop (say hi to Sara).

We found that staying on the edge of the shipping lanes has far less hassle then sailing closer to shore as the one time we did sail closer to shore we ran into a lot more fishermen and a lot more nets, hence the video link attached...

http://youtu.be/FJv931yEVIw

SV TOT 😃
Wayne
Old 11-04-2016, 22:48   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

If you do go to Terangganu You can buy fuel from the gas station just down the river past customs.. Infinately cheaper but hard wotk getting it accross the road LOL
Also to go to the proper duty free shop in Tioman and not the one buy the marina it is a good walk south but he will deliver.. Hope that helps.. PS Redang is nice but prone to some big swells once in a while...... Enjoy.
Old 11-04-2016, 22:52   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Tot I think your talking west coast here ! Samui is on the east
Old 12-04-2016, 06:38   #20
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
Tot I think your talking west coast here ! Samui is on the east

You are correct as my post was referring to the comment related to Singapore to Port Dickson 😎

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 13-04-2016, 02:35   #21

Boat: Mason 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLoyd Burgess View Post
Yes agreed Dale. Was thinking of making a few stops before Tioman. Do you remember the name of those islands or the Lat and Long. I have got a few marked already plus a few coastal stops before Tioman....they are only rest stops! They look pretty average on google just quietly.
Hi Lloyd

Possible rest stops

St John's next to sister island in Singapore waters about 44 nm from Puteri Harbour

Tg Pengelih, about 60nm from Puteri Harbour, the first Malaysian customs and immigration clearing. Good Holding - mud , next to the fishing sticks after navy jetty.
Tg Punggai - rolly swells coming south east and current down the coast
Jason's Bay - have to go all the way in about 2 nm near shore towards the telekom towers. Lots of fishing nets to navigate. If you anchor out, very rolly
Pulau Aur, east bay see Navionics charts . Between the 2 island is a sandy patch which the locals say there is a power line underneath so sometimes someone will come up to ask you to move.

The next patch is rocky. My anchor got stuck at one time.

Pulau Tinggi, north bay corals. Nice clear water.

Saty clear of Pulau Yu. The last time in Aug 2014 I pass it, some idiot shot 2 missile at the small island. No chaser boats came to warn me.

Pulau Tioman

Pulau Tulai deep waters.

Pulau Tenggol , in the bay has 2 vietnamese boats sank there. Been diving since the early 90's. current dives and deep.

Pulau Redang, lots of dive spots.

Let me know if you need more info. Come over at B22 .

Eric
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Singapore