Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2018, 19:27   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Singapore and AIS rules, is it possible to not stop but sail through without AIS?

I usually like to stop in Singapore, however, two new regulations are making it more difficult.

1. Must have AIS transponder which to me means a $166 fee to the FCC and about $500-$650 for the AIS.

2. Must use approved agent to handle all paperwork. About another $500-$650 depending on crew size and agent selected.

That is on top of having to pay a big marina bill.

For these reasons I am thinking of this time going to Sebana Cove in Malaysia. If I want to go to Singapore I just get on the ferry and the costs would be more than off set.

Question: Can I sail through Singaporean waters without an AIS if I am not stopping in Singapore?
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 20:48   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Singapore and AIS rules, is it possible to not stop but sail through without AIS?

Noonsite.com makes it sound like an AIS is required to enter Singapore waters
Quote:
SINGAPORE PORT REGULATION: AIS REQUIREMENT

It is mandatory for yachts to be equipped with Automated Identification System (AIS) prior to entry into Singapore waters. The AIS transponder must be approved for use within the port by the MPA or the Port Master. E-mail the vessel information to noa@mpa.gov.sg at least 12 hours before entering Singapore waters.

Failure to have an AIS transponder can result in a substantial fine.
Old 18-03-2018, 21:29   #3

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Singapore and AIS rules, is it possible to not stop but sail through without AIS?

The hilarious thing is I found Ais useless in Singapore, just to much traffic. Eyeball is the only way.

The first time I crossed from Indonesia to Singapore my Ais was screaming, there wasn't a gap long enough that allowed the muting of the buzzer.

Bit of drift, sorry.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 22:02   #4

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

And if going on to Thai waters, ais is a requirement as well
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 22:59   #5

To enter Singapre or move a vessel from one place to another within Singapore, one needs an AIS but to just travel past without stopping, it is not needed.

As fot Thailand, I think it is only Phuket that has the AIS requirement. I was never asked for it anywhere else.
Warren Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 23:04   #6

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Can I sail through Singaporean waters without an AIS if I am not stopping in Singapore?
You don't really expect a disembodied message on the internet to give you a solid interpretation of marine law as practised in Singapore, do you?

The short answer is yes, you can sail through Singapore waters without an AIS but you cannot cross inside the limits of any Singaporean port. So to get to Sebana Cove, you would have to make certain that you are always on the Port of Pasir Gudang side of the line demarcating the limits of Port of Singapore from Pasir Gudang.

Of course Singapore, which requires that local craft have both AIS and an electronic charting system, is fully transparent with information. So it has a marine chart showing the port limits on the net (see: Singapore Strait. Port Of Singapore. Anchorages And Aids To …) You'll need to look for the dashed line. You have no excuse.

And if you cross that line, expect that someone will be watching and will enforce the appropriate Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore regulation.
Old 19-03-2018, 04:48   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Peter and Rose arrived here from Out of Asia. They report they will cruising past Singapore and were stopped because they had upgraded their AIS and the default after upgrade was to have the transponder off. Singapore officials held them up for 1.5 hours and this was at 6 am.

Therefore, I am not so sure with answers about being able to sail past without it. And Yes I heard the Singapore police boats do patrol between Malaysia and Singapore so not crossing an dotted line in the middle is important.

If! If, that is Malaysia doesn't insist on AIS. Well, that seems to be no longer true

I just heard that Malaysia like Thailand and Singapore now insist on having an AIS.

Still haven't double confirmed, however, I believe Peter to be accurate as they come. Afterall, he is the Garmin and Ray Marine rep and sells them.

BTW Vessels going to Tubbataha Reef now need one in the Philippines. Although, that may only apply to commercial and not pleasure boats. Double check if going there.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 10:22   #8

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
And if going on to Thai waters, ais is a requirement as well
What a joke. You telling me that all those little longtail boats out there in Thai coastal waters have AIS transponders? When we were taking lots of day tours out of Thai locations last fall, not one of them even had a single VHF radio on board. Apparently the rules don't apply to locals, even those with foreign tourists on board.

I thought it was a bit dangerous to go out up to 25 miles to those offshore islands on old wooden boats, open hull, maybe 20" freeboard, with NO radio. I went out with them anyway, because the weather was so benign.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 10:51   #9

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

The" Singapore straights", the body of water South of the island is International waters, this is the area that separates Singapore from Indonesia.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 16:06   #10

Boat: Herman Boro 50Ft

Puteri Marina is probably your best bet its closer to get into Malaysia rather than go around to Sebana Cove.Its a crap marina a long way up and has jet fuel dropping all over the boat. You can go around Singapore Territoriality waters OK but steer clear. Also Singapore Marinas will sting you in the pocket. AIS is a good tool but not a too good around Singapore to many Targets. I have sailed to Danga Bay marina a few times when it was open and sailed to Noonska Harbour Indonesia by sailing along side the Traffic zones and crossing between them in the large area to the south of singapore. Cross at 90 degrees to the traffic Motor dont sail or motor sail. Do it during the day not at night. start at Dawn from Puteri Marina or anchor at the entrance which we normally do. Singapore AIS if for the Authorities to Track you. When you go up to Danga Bay was were always shadowed by a small patrol boats all the way, Good Luck
rosco4271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 16:11   #11

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
The" Singapore straights", the body of water South of the island is International waters, this is the area that separates Singapore from Indonesia.
I think not.

1. Singapore and its neighbours (Malaysia and Indonesia) have international treaties on their sea boundaries registered with the UN. Singapore and Malaysia have differences on their boundary (but that is being handled by judicial processes). There is also a sliver or tiny gap that is an artefact of how the Malaysian border was defined, but that is another matter. Not all parts of the Indonesia-Singapore boundary have been fully specified. See UN links (which do not always work) on the treaties: SINGAPORE

Wikipedia has a page on the issue of the Indonesia-Singapore boundary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indone...ngapore_border

And that means that almost all of the water between Singapore and Indonesia is in one jurisdiction or the other (with some in Malaysian territory) even if the exact boundary is not fully specified. Only a few small parts of the vessel separation zone in the Singapore Strait are not in national waters. I've attached a chartlet of the western end of the Singapore Strait showing a legend so you can interpret the differently coloured lines - the dash-dot line is close to the middle of the VSS. (Singapore Strait.jpg, about 160 KB)

Part of the reasons for the uncertainty about the exact boundary line is historical. The British took over Singapore from the Sultan of Johor. The Sultan of Johor used to control territory that extends into what is now Indonesia (including the Riau archipelago). The Brits did a deal with the Netherlands to divide those territories of the Sultan of Johor between them. Malaysia has unclearly inherited some sea rocks and sea territory - and full clarification of that is now at issue.

Indonesia has only recently focused on its "maritime strategy" and no doubt in the future will put resources into specifying the exact Indonesia-Singapore boundary. Indonesia is currently having a minor debate about for how long its lands and people were colonised by the Netherlands. See: http://www.globalindonesianvoices.co...-years-really/

At the moment the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore supplies the Vessel Traffic Service and the Vessel Traffic Information Service in the Singapore Strait. See: https://www.mpa.gov.sg/web/portal/ho...on-system-vtis

Singapore also currently controls the air space over the Singapore Straits (and including some parts of Indonesian air space). Indonesia from time to time expresses mild annoyance about that.

2. The English noun "strait" for a narrow channel or body or water entered the language from French "estreit" in the late 1300s. The French word originated from a Latin word "strictus" meaning "strict, confined".

The English adjective "straight" took that form about 1400, but has an Old English ancestor "strecchen" that was recorded in English about 900. The origin is in believed to be a reconstructed (because it was not recorded in writing) proto-Germanic word that might have been written "*strakjana" if our current Latin alphabet were in use in about 500BCE. As you might guess, Old English "strecchen" and proto-Germanic "*strakjana" are verbs meaning 'to stretch, to make unbent or straight".

Two quite different words.
Old 19-03-2018, 16:45   #12

Boat: bruce roberts mauritius 44

The rule in Thailand is foreign flagged vessels must have AIS
Aguabago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 18:19   #13

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
What a joke. You telling me that all those little longtail boats out there in Thai coastal waters have AIS transponders?
Jump to conclusions much?
We are talking foreign flagged vessels, not local boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Apparently the rules don't apply to locals, even those with foreign tourists on board.
Obviously don't get out much eh? (;
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 08:41   #14

Boat: Lagoon 450
Singapore and AIS rules, is it possible to not stop but sail through without AIS?

Yes you can pass by Singapore without AIS. Remain in the correct shipping lanes. As for all ships and yachts, you will need to call up VTS on VHF 14 upon entering SG waters.

If your interested in berthing at one of the marinas for a short period and not sailing within SG waters during your stay you can ask for a waiver for the AIS.

Consider Nongsa in Batam as a cost effective berth. There are regular ferry services to Vivo City in SG.

Being required to have AIS in SG or Thailand has little to do with ships safety and everything to do with big brother security.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 22:30   #15

Boat: Robertson & Caine, Leopard 48
Send a message via Skype™ to pilotvelez

I live in Nongsa Point Marina in Batam. It’s a great stop if you are passing through. You can sail without AIS as long as you stay on the Indonesia and Malaysia side and do not cross the boundaries. In reference to the cost of going to Singapore made in the original post, the cost quoted not accurate. Clearing into Singapore, including both entry and exit comes to 200 SGD (about 150 USD). PM me and I can share the name of a couple of agents who charge this amount. For a inexpensive place to stay in Singapore, you can take a mooring ball at the Changi Sailing Club. Not expensive. You can also get a berth at the Pungol marina. Not too expensive but a bit run down.
pilotvelez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, rule, sail, Singapore