Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 13:14   #1

Boat: C&C 27 Libelula
Singapore

Dear All,

My husband is considering a position in Singapore. We currently liveaboard our C&C for the summers in Massachusetts with
our 3 year old. Does anyone have any insights into:
1) living in singapore (cost of living, experiences, schools, society..)
2) living aboard in singapore? (where to buy a boat, marinas etc etc)

thanks
Daphne
Old 12-08-2009, 14:44   #2

Singapore has outstanding schools. Since there are such a large number expats there, you can also find a wide variety of international schools, including an American school that uses US style curriculum. Singapore has one of the highest per-capita incomes in the world (slightly higher than the US), so the cost of living is also very high. Do you get housing as part of the position? If not, research housing costs carefully. Housing could be a budget killer. You can save money by living outside the city, but it will still be very expensive. There are several yacht clubs in Singapore. I would contact them for boat information. I have never sailed there, but it is on of the busiest ports in the world. There are so many ships in the harbor. It looked intimidating to me! There are quite a few people on the board from Singapore. Search the "Meets and Greets" forum for "Singapore", you might try sending some of them PMs.

Singapore is an amazing place. As long as you like big city life, you will love it.

A few links for you:
Singapore
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/sn.html
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 14:54   #3

One more note. There are a series of books called "Culture Shock" I highly recommend. I have not used "Culture Shock! Singapore", but have used "Culture Shock! China" and "Culture Shock! Malaysia", and found them really helpful. They are great for introducing you to some of the basics of a country. I am not sure if a link is appropriate, but google it or find at at your favorite book seller.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 22:07   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Hi Libelula,

I have been living in Singapore for 4 1/2 years and livng in Asia off and on since 1984 (mostly on).

Great sailing communities here.

Singapore cost of living is down somewhat with the recession, most notably housing, which went mental over the last 2 years. Goods and services are still quite high.

Feel free to PM me with an email address and I can send you my "expat primer" - I manage a diverse group of expats and have some insight to structuring of expat asignments.

There is also a web site that is pretty specific about living in Singapore. There are a lot of trolls there but if you can sort out the random noise there is a lot of helpful advice.

ExpatSingapore - ExpatSingapore Message Board - Index

As far as living aboard in Singapore it is an option but it is one that has been "discovered" and can be quite pricey. The marinas are not very convenient to the Amercian school located on the northern side of the island and with a pre-schooler that could become an issue.

The other issue is that the boat market is very small and finding a suitable liveaboard boat to purchase can be time consuming. You may consider sourcing the boat from Thailand where the market is slightly larger and sailing it down.

One suggestion is to make sure the package has as much temp living in it as possible. There are outstanding service apartments available but they are pricey as well.

If you get a "look see" trip all the better.

Final thought is to obtain a 1 year lease on a condo and get the lay of the (boating) land - your term of assignment may make the whole idea of buying a boat, living aboard and selling out, somewhat of a money pit.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Singapore