Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2022, 17:54   #16

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Re: Shipping sailboat to Ensenada - what to expect?

I agree with pretty much everything that has been written so far. I bought my boat in San Carlos and kept it there for 3 years before hauling back to california.

1. As mentioned, get mexican auto insurance. Their rates are based on value of car and length of stay.
2. When entering Mx it is prudent to stop and get your entry visa. Many times i skipped getting it. But one evening i got pulled over in San Carlos within a quarter of mile of the restaurant we ate at. How many drinks tonight, Senor? One beer, Sir. Maybe, Senor, we need to take you to police station to see what your breath alcohol is? This is clearly a shake down for money ( Mordita). If you are in Mexico and they ask for your entry visa and you skipped getting it...ai chee wow wow! Now they can have some real fun with you. Always get your entry visa. When crossing at Nogales, south of Tucson, there is a gov't station at about kilometer 23 (??) {can't remember exactly}....not worth the risk to go without. Yet, I have done it and many do. You have been warned.
3. You will need to apply for a TIP. It is basically an import tax. You will need to have all the documents proving you own the boat. Know where you HIN (Hull Identification Number) is. Never lose these documents because they are very important when it comes to Marina's book keeping, Federal tax collectors, local govt agencies that get involved with policing the Marina's residents.
4. Walk to the restaurants if it will be dark after dinner is finished.

Before sailing west....you need to go to the Sea of Cortez. IMO it is one of rarest gems on the planet. Hospitable people, amazing desert landscapes, primitive, and very few people. SOC vortex is real. Many people get down to LaPaz and never leave for points west.

Wish you the best. Oh, download the app for border wait times. It is a very hand app....I copied/paste for you...

http://bwt.cbp.gov
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 09:14   #17

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer

This thread of replies is about the best I've ever read on here. Thanks for everyone's contribution. Pure gold. I'll be bookmarking this one. Gracias.
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 17:58   #18
Caz

Boat: 2002 Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwanderer View Post
This thread of replies is about the best I've ever read on here. Thanks for everyone's contribution. Pure gold. I'll be bookmarking this one. Gracias.
Let me be the second person to second these comments. Everyone has made thoughtful and helpful inputs. I've already bookmarked this thread.

Cheers!
Bill
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 21:29   #19
Caz

Angry Re: Shipping sailboat to Ensenada - what to expect?

Crap!

I've messaging to my insurance broker since January about taking our boat from Fort Lauderdale to Mexico. I was assured that that it would be easy to get coverage.

Now, today, 10 days before we are scheduled to load on the transport ship we get an email telling us that the underwriter is dropping us with the quote,

Quote:
"However, I must also advise that as a result of the new location and the BVI address provided by the assured – we would not be able to offer renewal terms, and must withdraw the renewal quote you have received on April 5th"
a. What is it about a boat registered in the BVI's that can't get insurance for Mexico?

b. My underwriter has been sitting on a renewal quote for over a month and has failed to tell me this. WTF?

As you can imagine, I am a mix of anger, and bit of panic trying to figure out what to do.

I will call the broker in the morning, but I need to immediately find another source to provide coverage. I am looking into Mexican liability insurance at a minimum.

Someone mentioned novamarinsurance.com.mx from another CF Insurance thread, and I will contact them as well.

But man-oh-man, what a gut punch so close to shipping a boat that we saved 20 years to buy...

Any advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

P.S.- I am scouring other threads on CF, but have not found any recents threads but will keep looking. I wanted to post here in case someone has recent advice.
Old 11-05-2022, 21:31   #20
Caz

Sorry, typo...
Meant to say, "I've been messaging my insurance broker here in Florida"
Old 12-05-2022, 15:33   #21
Caz

So...

I found the number of the underwriter in the U.K. and called him. As it turns out, the broker provided the address of the B.V.I. company and not our U.S. address. This caused the meltdown. Sigh...

We now have our renewal policy that I am reviewing. The Underwriter said that the rate would go down substantially, moving the boat from the hurricane prone FL to Ensenada. However our renewal rate is nearly identical to what we paid for being in FL. Dunno if this makes sense. I am digging into this.

There appears to be a lot of murkiness/opaqueness in the marine insurance industry so it is hard to figure out whether we are getting a good deal or not.

Perhaps we should not look too closely...
Old 12-05-2022, 21:48   #22

Boat: Bavaria 35E

Yes, Definitely check with Novamar. You can work with Peter Ricks in the Seattle office if you'd like. He's a great resource and has written a number of policies for my client's boats. He can handle tough situations. Call him: 206-350-5051 even if you want to get a comparison.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 23:11   #23
Caz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowle View Post
Yes, Definitely check with Novamar. You can work with Peter Ricks in the Seattle office if you'd like. He's a great resource and has written a number of policies for my client's boats. He can handle tough situations. Call him: 206-350-5051 even if you want to get a comparison.
I will call them in the morning. Thanks!
Old 13-05-2022, 21:16   #24
Caz

I connected with Peter Ricks today. He says that he will let me know what he can do early next week.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 15-05-2022, 21:51   #25
Caz

Smile Re: Shipping sailboat to Ensenada - what to expect?

Here's another question for y'all...

I am filling out the hurricane questionnaire for the insurance company. I would be interested in what others put into their hurricane plan that they submit?

I think that a hurricane is unlikely that far north, but my standard response is that we would triple the lines and fenders, remove the sails and other canvas and ride out the storm in the Curiseport marina.

I'm curious as what others do for their hurricane planning regardless of the insurance forms?

Cheers!
Bill
Old 16-05-2022, 07:04   #26

Boat: 1972 Hatteras 45C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Peter,
This helps immensely. Your advice makes sense! Thanks for the detailed write up. I've unboxed the water makers and will be scattering the parts as you suggested. My challenge is that I've run out of time to install the new gear, hence the questions.

You mention crossing the border 30-40 times. Any suggestions on the best/easiest way to get from the U.S. to Ensenada. My wife wants to try the bus, of which I am dubious. We will be flying into San Diego. If we want to drive our car into Mexico, have you had any issues driving and parking a car in Ensenada? I assume that you have U.S. plates. Does having an SUV in Mexico with U.S. plates make you stand out more and make you a target. I have not driven in Mexico since the mid-80's so am not current on the issues.

On another note, as we will be spending 3-4 months in Ensenada, and staying at Cruiseport Marina, any tips on how to enjoy the sites is also appreciated! Thanks!

Bill
I keep my boat in Cruiseport year round. I make 6 or so driving trips from Arizona each year and probably 1 trip per month north to San Diego. Dock mates always willing to pick things up for you when making a trip.
A boat yard is really only needed when repairs require exterior painting or haul out.
All other repairs can be done at the marina by any number of tradesmen. Expect $15 USD/her for general maintinance and repairs. $20.00 for Electrition and $30 to $50.00/hr for Diesel Mechanic.
The staff at Cruise Port are very helpful with anything you may need.
mike mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 08:25   #27

Boat: Hunter 50cc

Lived in Ensenada at Coral Marina for years now. Watched a lot of boats be shipped in. Make certain you have your Mexican TIP on the boat BEFORE you arrive. If there is an old TIP on file you must have it cancelled by the person who got it. EVEN IF IT HAS EXPIRED. A few months ago two boats showed up and tried to get their TIP here. They couldn't find the original owners and had 48 hours to leave the country or pay a $20K fine or lose their boat. You can get the TIP on line.
Also get your Mexican liability boat insurance before you arrive. Novamar Insurance in Puerto Vallarta has very good coverage at a reasonable rate. Your USA insurance is not valid to the Mexican authorities. It must be issued by a Mexican company just like car insurance. Most marinas in Mexico will check for it. Your USA policy will still pay claims in Mexico but the Mexican government requires an additional Mexico issued policy.
We love it here at Coral Marina. Where else can you live at a resort for $800 a month for a 50' boat.
jackrabbit59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 10:14   #28

It has been years but we would buy Mexican car insurance before we crossed the border.

I'm sure others can advise
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 19:46   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Buddies just transported their sailboat here…..if you haven’t already, strip off all canvas and sails - otherwise soot and bird droppings can make cleaning them afterwards a nightmare. (Birds will perch on cranes & railings….amazing volume can be involved)
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 00:26   #30

Boat: Nauticat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'm wondering if it might not be easier to off load in San Diego. Commission there, then motor or sail to check in to Ensenada.
You cannot ship between American ports on a foreign-documented vessel, and all the companies shipping boats are foreign documented. The only West Coast options are Ensenada or Victoria, British Columbia.
David Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, shipping