Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2022, 13:11   #31
Caz

Boat: 2002 Oyster 66
Re: Shipping sailboat to Ensenada - what to expect?

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have experience driving from San Diego and back again with a small utility trailer? It's 5'x10'. I am using it for storage and as a small workshop as I've been working on the boat I bought last year. I am keeping the normal stuff you need as you prep your boat for a long journey.

Good Idea?
Terrible Idea?
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2022, 14:16   #32

Boat: C&L Sea Ranger 36, Columbia Payne 9.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have experience driving from San Diego and back again with a small utility trailer? It's 5'x10'. I am using it for storage and as a small workshop as I've been working on the boat I bought last year. I am keeping the normal stuff you need as you prep your boat for a long journey.

Good Idea?
Terrible Idea?

We race off-road vehicles in Baja and come down with a variety of large trailers regularly. In terms of the drive, not a problem at all. Once you get into the south of Baja roads get narrow and a bit hairy but the toll road drive from SD to Ensenada is easy.
Old 24-05-2022, 23:44   #33
Caz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanVagrant View Post
We race off-road vehicles in Baja and come down with a variety of large trailers regularly. In terms of the drive, not a problem at all. Once you get into the south of Baja roads get narrow and a bit hairy but the toll road drive from SD to Ensenada is easy.
Thanks so much for this perspective. Very helpful!

-- Bill
Old 29-05-2022, 08:35   #34
Caz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
Note the dock water is too salty to drink. Most purchased water; one long-term boat purchased a home (NOT boat water maker!) reverse-osmosis unit (cheap at San Diego Home Depot), set it up on deck and used it to remove salt from dock water.
Does anyone have recent experience re the quality of the dockside water at CruisePort?

What does it mean to purchase water? Are you talking 1 and 5 gallon containers, or does someone come to your boat with a truck and an hose? Just curious. Thanks in advance!

-Bill
Old 29-05-2022, 09:18   #35

Quote:
Does anyone have recent experience re the quality of the dockside water at CruisePort?

What does it mean to purchase water? Are you talking 1 and 5 gallon containers, or does someone come to your boat with a truck and an hose? Just curious. Thanks in advance!

-Bill
It means 5-gal jugs (called "garafone" in Spanish. They are about $40-pesos each, $2 USD.

I doubt the water at Cruiseport is drinkable.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 09:19   #36
Caz

Hello all, I am looking for recommendations in Ensenada for hardware stores, marine chandlery, boat stores, etc.
Old 29-05-2022, 09:26   #37
Caz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
It means 5-gal jugs (called "garafone" in Spanish. They are about $40-pesos each, $2 USD.

I doubt the water at Cruiseport is drinkable.
Thanks a lot. This information helps. I'm thinking about running my on-board water maker at lower pressure using dockside water to fill my tanks now. I already have a fitting on the intake side of the wm system, just after the water inlet in the system that I can use to run a hose from the dock water system. I will filter out the chlorine and the water maker will produce all the fresh water I need.
Old 29-05-2022, 09:29   #38

There is one chandlery - Arjona across the street from the Capitania del Puerto. It is hit or miss, and quite a bit more expensive than US. But you can hose, clamps, and many consumables including SS fasteners. There is also a Fastenal store in Ensenada but I have been to it so cannot speak first hand.

There is a Home Depot in Ensenada, but it is several miles from Cruiseport. It is similar to a US HD, but not the same. Hit or miss.

There are many speciality hardware stores in Ensenada. Casa de Plomeria (plumbing house) has been good for many bronze fittings. There is also a Parker Henefin store for fuel system and hydraulic fittings.

What type of work are you going to have done? If it involves a lot of parts, it's a different strategy than something that is pretty self contained. Stuff like cutless bearings, hi-quality stainless, etc all come from the US.
Old 29-05-2022, 09:36   #39

Quote:
Thanks a lot. This information helps. I'm thinking about running my on-board water maker at lower pressure using dockside water to fill my tanks now. I already have a fitting on the intake side of the wm system, just after the water inlet in the system that I can use to run a hose from the dock water system. I will filter out the chlorine and the water maker will produce all the fresh water I need.
In Mexico, the water is not meant to be potable. The traditional system is a cistern in the front yard where the municipal water drips in. From there, water is pumped to a "tinaco," the big plastic tanks on top of most houses. Inside water pressure is often simple gravity fed.

Obviously, a commercial enterprise such as Cruiseport has pressurized systems. But the point is the water delivered often has a lot of mineral content and sediment. As a suggestion, you will want to filter the inlet water more than you might otherwise.

Ensenada and Tijuana have way too many people for the water available, though the culture is much more conservative about water use than, say, Southern California with their green lawns.
Old 29-05-2022, 09:36   #40
Caz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
There is one chandlery - Arjona across the street from the Capitania del Puerto. It is hit or miss, and quite a bit more expensive than US. But you can hose, clamps, and many consumables including SS fasteners. There is also a Fastenal store in Ensenada but I have been to it so cannot speak first hand.

There is a Home Depot in Ensenada, but it is several miles from Cruiseport. It is similar to a US HD, but not the same. Hit or miss.

There are many speciality hardware stores in Ensenada. Casa de Plomeria (plumbing house) has been good for many bronze fittings. There is also a Parker Henefin store for fuel system and hydraulic fittings.

What type of work are you going to have done? If it involves a lot of parts, it's a different strategy than something that is pretty self contained. Stuff like cutless bearings, hi-quality stainless, etc all come from the US.
I'm thinking small parts for now. SS screws, nuts, bolts, clamps, the odd valve, and some electrical fittings, etc. Like everyone I have a long list of "boat projects", so really want to know what to expect.

Also, is ordering from Amazon an ok experience? At this point, until I get there, I am just trying to think out loud. ;-)
Old 29-05-2022, 10:04   #41

I've read that there is a PO Box service in Ensenada that essentially transports your goods from San Diego for you. Theoretically, you would need to pay IVA which is 16%-19%, a hefty amount especially since you'd pay California sales tax on most Amazon items to have it shipped to San Diego. But I don't know for sure.

I can tell you that getting items shipped into Mexico is more difficult than the US. Personally, I have a PO Box at a UPS Store a short walk from the border crossing in San Ysidro. For smaller stuff, I take the bus to Tijuana, walk across, get my stuff, walk back and take the bus home. 5-6 hour round trip. For larger stuff or trips to San Diego Marine Exchange, I drive which is a challenge due to border crossing. I have SENTRI which is sort of like FastPass but it can still be well over an hour delay.
Old 30-05-2022, 12:24   #42
Caz

Hello everyone,

My boat arrives in Ensenada the second week of June. We made it to California last night with the car and trailer. We will spend a week here in CA and most likely drive to Ensenada, mid next week.

I am looking for recommendations/experience in Ensenada with the following trades:
  1. Qualified electronics technician for the boat radios and GPS
  2. High quality welder that can fabricate and weld 316 stainless steel to modify the bimini for solar panels, etc.
  3. A good sail loft. We need to have our stay sail remade.

Suggestions?

-- Bill
Old 30-05-2022, 12:54   #43

There is a popular shipyard there and a marina. That is all I know
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 13:57   #44

Quote:
Hello everyone,

My boat arrives in Ensenada the second week of June. We made it to California last night with the car and trailer. We will spend a week here in CA and most likely drive to Ensenada, mid next week.

I am looking for recommendations/experience in Ensenada with the following trades:
  1. Qualified electronics technician for the boat radios and GPS
  2. High quality welder that can fabricate and weld 316 stainless steel to modify the bimini for solar panels, etc.
  3. A good sail loft. We need to have our stay sail remade.

Suggestions?

-- Bill
Have your sail work done in San Diego. I don't know of any inparticular, but it's a world-class sailing venue. Ensenada has upholsterers. That's it.

I have not worked directly with a welder, but have had work done through Guillermo at LaCostaBoatworks (info@lacostaboatworks.com). Whatever you do, DO NOT USE MARIO AT NIZA MARINE (pics at nizamarine.net). Baja Naval is another option though for the most part, for specialty type work, there are only a few people who are independent workers and move around a bit between jobs.

Guillermo can also steer you to a decent electronics person. Not sure what you mean by "qualified." Shelter Island has many really decent electronics gurus with many years of experience.

You will need patience to have work done in Ensenada.
Old 30-05-2022, 15:13   #45
Caz

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "qualified." Shelter Island has many really decent electronics gurus with many years of experience.
I mean someone that is trained and experienced, has all of the right test equipment to troubleshoot RF issues. I have found very qualified technicians in the craziest of places. Asking for local referrals has paid off in the past.

I get your point about going to San Diego for sailmaking. I'm just trying to avoid the 16-20% VAT on top of the 9% CA sales tax for a sail. Our staysail needs to be replaced and it is a USD $7-10,000 cost.

-- Cheers, Bill

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat, shipping