Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2021, 10:20   #1

Shipping our boat from NZ to Golfito, Costa Rica. Need answers to...

Hello, I will be unloading my boat off a ship in Golfito, Costa Rica, in mid-February. This is a new experience for me, as we purchased the boat sight-unseen, and will be meeting her for the first time.

I wondered if there are other sailors who are along the C.R. coast, who can advise us as to the customs procedures, and insurers for the area, so we can take possession of the boat and begin our life onboard.

Hopefully, between now and mid Feb., things haven't changed for the worse. As of now, there is no problem flying in to C.R.

Any suggestions, contacts, leads and C.R. forums are most welcome and appreciated.
Setsail360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:55   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Shipping our boat from NZ to Golfito, Costa Rica. Need answers to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsail360 View Post
Hello, I will be unloading my boat off a ship in Golfito, Costa Rica, in mid-February. This is a new experience for me, as we purchased the boat sight-unseen, and will be meeting her for the first time.

I wondered if there are other sailors who are along the C.R. coast, who can advise us as to the customs procedures, and insurers for the area, so we can take possession of the boat and begin our life onboard.

Hopefully, between now and mid Feb., things haven't changed for the worse. As of now, there is no problem flying in to C.R.

Any suggestions, contacts, leads and C.R. forums are most welcome and appreciated.
There are customs and Immigration officers in Golfito and they are friendly but yachting services are slim there. I wonder if they have much experience with the situation you described. I would guess they won't care about how and when you came into possession of the boat but will want you to check in as if you arrived on the boat. Could be wrong about that.

One snag you may run into is not being able to show your national documentation or proof of ownership. I would think that having your documentation in hand and insurance arranged before you leave for C.R. will streamline the process.

I don't know if he is still there but there was a couple named Tim and Katie who operated a small marina called Land and Sea Golfito (they are on FB) who has been supporting cruisers since 1994 and would be your best source of non-official info and how to speed the process.

Take a rain coat.

Photo: Land Sea Golfito is the second building from the right in this photo, one of the last businesses on the way out of town.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9760-Golfito Shoreline.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	230202  
Old 10-01-2021, 16:48   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Golifito is a standard pickup and drop off location for yachts. As mentioned by wingsail I don't think Tim and Kate are still doing business there. Someone in the Fish Hook might be able to help. Boats left in marinas need to be Customs bonded so the marinas deal with these issues.

Not wanting to throw a wrench into your plans, but why are you unloading in Costa Rico. Golfito is not a place I'd want to do any kind of refit or prep for passages on a new to me boat. Are you planning to head through the Canal?
Old 10-01-2021, 17:15   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Golifito is a standard pickup and drop off location for yachts. As mentioned by wingsail I don't think Tim and Kate are still doing business there. Someone in the Fish Hook might be able to help. Boats left in marinas need to be Customs bonded so the marinas deal with these issues.

Not wanting to throw a wrench into your plans, but why are you unloading in Costa Rico. Golfito is not a place I'd want to do any kind of refit or prep for passages on a new to me boat. Are you planning to head through the Canal?
That's my thought too Paul, but if the ship is coming from NZ and will be there in 4-5 weeks, I think that it's a bit late to change arrival ports. Maybe.
Old 10-01-2021, 17:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
That's my thought too Paul, but if the ship is coming from NZ and will be there in 4-5 weeks, I think that it's a bit late to change arrival ports. Maybe.
Firstly, unless the boat is already loaded, the shipping schedule is just a light suggestion. Everyone I know who has shipped in the last year has had many reschedules.

The ship heading to Costa Rico is probably then heading to Mexico and onto Vancouver. Or possibly through the Canal to St Martin,
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 17:59   #6

Thanks all for your replies.

I am now looking in to insuring the boat, have found some leads on CF. I am landing there for a variety of reasons. The boat is in great shape, built 2014. I have friends living there who sail and eventually, with no rush, will get into the Carib, perhaps 2022. Everything is "fluid" so to speak..

Feels better to do it this way, than to chance not getting into NZ in the near or near-distant future.

Stay in touch, should any of you be in that neck of the woods.
Setsail360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 00:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsail360 View Post
Thanks all for your replies.

I am now looking in to insuring the boat, have found some leads on CF. I am landing there for a variety of reasons. The boat is in great shape, built 2014. I have friends living there who sail and eventually, with no rush, will get into the Carib, perhaps 2022. Everything is "fluid" so to speak..

Feels better to do it this way, than to chance not getting into NZ in the near or near-distant future.

Stay in touch, should any of you be in that neck of the woods.
If your plan is to stay long term, greater than 90 days, then you probably need to work out the customs temporary import issues prior to arriving with the boat. Costa Rica is fussy, complicated and nonforgiving when it comes to paperwork - also not cheap.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:00   #8

We sailed into Golfito twice, 2013 and 2015. The authorities are used to having the exact paperwork needed in the exact way they demand and no photocopies or digital is allowed. Our boat is in my wife's name and I am named on the crewlists as the skipper. Even though my wife was standing beside me at check in, they wanted a signed letter from her, the owner of record, saying I was allowed to be skipper.
We found the Fishhook marina guys to be more helpful than the Banana Bay people.
Theft was a problem both times when we were there and any boat at anchor or on a mooring was vulnerable after dark. Canoes would paddle up alongside and guys would slide over the cockpit railings or lift outboards and fishing gear out of the cockpit. Do not leave a dinghy in the water after dark but lift up in davits or on deck. Some boats had padlocks on their companionway slides cut and everything from guitars to binoculars to electronics were taken. We thwarted a couple potential robberies by shining a spotlight on nearby boats while they were being boarded. There was no problem if someone was onboard.
We left our boat unattended at Fishhook for a couple weeks and there was no problem.
We sailed around the bay a couple times, over to Puerto Jimenez and couple other anchorages. It is a pleasant stop, lots of parrots, toucans, monkeys, etc. just be careful about theft.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 16:44   #9

Agreed that petty theft in Costa Rica can be a problem. As they say down there: Theft is not a crime, it's an art form.
Old 11-01-2021, 17:08   #10

Visitors can arrive to Costa Rica via a flight, sailboat or yacht. The land borders remain closed for incoming tourists. Costa Rica does not require a negative coronavirus test, but travel medical insurance is necessary.

Here are are the requirements to fly into Costa Rica on a commercial flight as a tourist as of November 1:

Fill out the electronic epidemiological HEALTH PASS form, available at https://salud.go.cr. This should be completed in the 48 hours before boarding for Costa Rica. It generates a QR code that you must show upon arrival; some airlines ask for it at check-in.
Purchase Traveler’s Medical Insurance: This can be either from an international company, or purchased through the National Insurance Institute (INS) or Sagicor of Costa Rica, covering the duration of your stay in Costa Rica.
INS and Sagicor policies are pre-approved and guaranteed to be accepted by Costa Rican authorities. However, many visitors choose international policies, because they are often cheaper.

Tourists who opt to purchase an international policy must bring a letter demonstrating:

Guaranteed coverage of medical expenses in the event of becoming ill with COVID-19 while in Costa Rica, for at least $50,000 USD.
Minimum coverage of $2,000 USD for lodging expenses issued as a result of the pandemic.
Validity of the policy throughout the planned stay in Costa Rica.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Costa Rica, shipping