Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2020, 15:56   #1

Shipping Boat Parts from US to Australia

We would like to ship some solar panels and a watermaker from the US to Australia.

When I used to live on a boat in the Caribbean we would often address spare boat parts we were shipping with "Yacht in Transit" in the address and often save on duty and customs.

Does anyone have any experience shipping Boat parts from the US to Australia? I think it will cost us about 10% of the cost of the parts otherwise which could be around $2000 so thought it may be worth a try.
sailorbluehawai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 17:35   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Shipping Boat Parts from US to Australia

There is likely to be a Customs fee.

Stick to a common carrier, like the Postal Service. Ship to a local address in the port where you and the boat are. We've had stuff shipped to Brisbane and Tasmania from the US with no delivery problems....and one time DHL Danzas lost our pkg in NYC, paid extra for quick service, no recourse per their shipping agreement, and it took 6 weeks instead of one, while we were paying for lay days. USPS and FedEx have not been a problem.

Ann
Old 26-09-2020, 01:46   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

There are plenty of solar panels available locally in Australia. Not sure why you would bother to have then shipped from the US.
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 00:36   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbluehawai View Post
We would like to ship some solar panels and a watermaker from the US to Australia.

When I used to live on a boat in the Caribbean we would often address spare boat parts we were shipping with "Yacht in Transit" in the address and often save on duty and customs.
Yes you can ship as "Yacht in Transit" but you do actually have to really be a "Vessel in Transit" and have a definitive leaving Australia date.
You have to provide the following to the custom clearance agent whom is to clear the goods:

Name of Vessel
Date of Arrival of the Vessel
Date of Departure of the Vessel
Port Code of where the Vessel is going to dock
The Establishment ID code
Contact Person at the Wharf ( Including cell number)
Destination of Vessel After Australia
S77G Custom Approved Warehouse

If you do not meet the above criteria, then you need to pay customs and GST on the total invoiced amount, including freight cost.
The actual customs amount is based on the goods type being imported.
The Australian customs web site provides the % fee on goods ,you have to look for the description. Or ask a custom broker to help you. UPS / FEd ex etc will bill you before they release the goods from their bonded warehouse.

We recently paid $AUD276 duty on $AUD1800 worth of goods including transportation from the USA. Arrived in 7 days ex East Coast USA retailer (Defender) Still 2/3 cost of Australian retail - not that anyone had what we wanted in stock despite advertising ex Australian warehouse....
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 09:01   #5

Boat: Selene 43

I Second OldGreyB's advice. Spot on. You need an agent with bonded warehouse to hold the items and process the paperwork into the country.
For shipping from U.S.A. I recommend MyUS.com as U.S. suppliers often don't have the best rates for international shipping.
Buy your items from various suppliers and ship to them to MyUS.com at U.S. internal shipping rates. They will store them until you decide to ship to your destination when they combine all your items into one - or as many shipments as you wish. Totally flexible, good shipping rates and you know the the customs will accept their paperwork.
I've used them many times for multiple purchases combined into shipments to various destinations. Recommend strongly.
GB32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 09:14   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

I shipped a watermaker into Queensland labeled Vessel in Transit with appropriate paperwork. Turns out how it is handled by customs depends on which office you go through. People who did a similar thing in Cairns did not have the same issues I had in Brisbane. I ended up paying about usd$750 ransom to get my watermaker out of customs jail. Then spent about 5 months arguing via email and various forms on why I should get my fees back. Eventually I got an email agreeing with my point of view a few weeks before we were leaving Aust. The refund was issued from Thursday Island border force as we checked out of the country, aka exported the watermaker. They required an Australian bank account to transfer the money. I had it sent to an Aussie friend.
Old 27-09-2020, 10:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbluehawai View Post

Does anyone have any experience shipping Boat parts from the US to Australia? I think it will cost us about 10% of the cost of the parts otherwise which could be around $2000 so thought it may be worth a try.
I have this thoroughly researched as recent as 3 months ago but the YIT (Yachts In Transit) concept does NOT work in AUSTRALIA. I had no problems in NEW CALEDONIA as well as VANUATU but in AUSTRALIA you will have to pay the applicable import duties, taxes and 10% GST. You will be able to claim back the GST provided you leave AUSTRALIAN waters w/i 60 days.

However, shipments/packages below AU$1,000 are exempt.

Rgds Teun
TDB1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 14:07   #8

Boat: Fusion 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
There is likely to be a Customs fee.

Stick to a common carrier, like the Postal Service. Ship to a local address in the port where you and the boat are. We've had stuff shipped to Brisbane and Tasmania from the US with no delivery problems....and one time DHL Danzas lost our pkg in NYC, paid extra for quick service, no recourse per their shipping agreement, and it took 6 weeks instead of one, while we were paying for lay days. USPS and FedEx have not been a problem.

Ann
DHL are difficult inAustralia as well!!!
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 15:58   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDB1227 View Post
I have this thoroughly researched as recent as 3 months ago but the YIT (Yachts In Transit) concept does NOT work in AUSTRALIA. I had no problems in NEW CALEDONIA as well as VANUATU but in AUSTRALIA you will have to pay the applicable import duties, taxes and 10% GST. You will be able to claim back the GST provided you leave AUSTRALIAN waters w/i 60 days.

However, shipments/packages below AU$1,000 are exempt.

Rgds Teun
For me to get my refund I had to file form B923.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, boat, parts, shipping