Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 00:02   #1

Boat: Pearson 281
Question Seattle Bound ...cMebbe

Pending my own inspection and some input here (please), possibly two of us heading up to Seattle from Los Angeles in a Ranger 37. Should say out and up. Via the Clipper Route, looking for the High. The timing for a departure within the next two weeks looks good so far. Ton of stuff to do and drills drills drills so I can get to know the boat.

Appreciate all the info I found in the Archives... certainly a help in planning a route.

My biggest issue and the most likely deal breaker is the rod rigging, original with the boat (mid 70s) that is scheduled for inspection next week. I will be going up the spar to check the rod joints at the spreaders before the mast comes down and have a look-see at the whole thing.

I'd really love to do this but...
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:52   #2

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Re: Seattle Bound ...cMebbe

The clipper route actually only goes as far as San Francisco,best to coastwise it from there.May thru July are tough months to try to sail north,with prevailing NW wind pumping.Best way to "sail" to Seattle is head south to Cabo,then to Hawaii in May and the PNW in late June.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:10   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Lots of tacking and beating along one of the worst lee shores around. You could always go via Hawaii and dive over the top of the Pacific high.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:11   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Try the search function. There have been seveal previous useful discussions of this route/subject. If you have difficulty with the search, prevail upon Gordon May with a PM. He is the acknowleged Search Wizzard here-abouts.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 17:02   #5

Boat: Pearson 281

Thanks guys... yup, did the archive search hence my original thanks, also bent plenty of ears and got the full skinny on rod rigging and beyond other homework, talked to two different local skippers who have gone up. It's all armchair for me at this point but...I'm not sure that the so called Clipper Route was so strictly defined but you may be right... the idea of going out to go up is the constant. Not necessary to go all the way to Hawaii and over the High accorrding to some who have done it and the time involved not much longer, if longer at all, than trying to crawl up the coast under power. In my mind not any easier on the rig either with all the load cycling that would come with the pounding into the seas. Besides it's a damn sailboat isn't it

This girl has discontinous rod rigging(better for offshore)so will be climbing to check the fittings at the spreaders. This was a race boat so I don't thing it's over engineered as much as a cruiser would be and for me a bit more of a nail-biter, but if things look good I won't worry too much.

Looks like we are moving forward. Any and all comments still very much appreciated! Put me to the test on this and I will keep looking at the whole thing...
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seattle