Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 16:17   #31

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: San Juan Islands

And by the way Mike they will take your boat and trailor on the Anacortes Ferry to Friday Harbor, and Im pretty sure you can Launch there! and save time and maybe a few dollars even LOL I don't know how much they charge anymore but took a 5th wheel and a 1 ton truck on it to Van Isl and it was ok! you can ck online for a price. Just a thought
Old 12-03-2012, 19:01   #32

Boat: Haida 26

Thanks Bob, Did you get to look at the motorsailor? Your killing me w/ curosity..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 19:47   #33

Its a great hull and the boat itself is great, BUT no equiptment !! no windless, small winchs, absolutley no electronics of any kind not even a VHF LOL Most likely cost close to 25000 more to equip it with even a basic cruiseing equipment
Old 12-03-2012, 20:12   #34

Boat: Haida 26

To bad, the search continues, good luck, it's out there..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 23:44   #35

Dear San Juan Islanders, cat cruiser from Oz coming for holiday over there this summer. Sorry if this is off topic but finding it very hard to get information. I want to get across from Anacortes to Friday Harbor with our hired 30' RV on July 4th. I know it's a busy time and Washington Ferries will not let me pre-book. How much before sailing should I be in the queue at Anacortes? Many thanks for any tips. Cheers from Australia.
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 06:27   #36

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeto View Post
Dear San Juan Islanders, cat cruiser from Oz coming for holiday over there this summer. Sorry if this is off topic but finding it very hard to get information. I want to get across from Anacortes to Friday Harbor with our hired 30' RV on July 4th. I know it's a busy time and Washington Ferries will not let me pre-book. How much before sailing should I be in the queue at Anacortes? Many thanks for any tips. Cheers from Australia.

Well, I dont have the summer ferry schedule but the winter schedule shows 8 sailings from Anacortes to Friday Harbor monday through friday and 9 sailings on the weekend. The 1st leaves at 0430hrs during the week and 0500 weekends
The earlier the better on a day like the 4th. Smart move would be leave on the 3rd. No big deal - if you dont get loaded on the one you want , you will get on the next - just relax and pour yourself another Fosters!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 06:49   #37

Boat: Maine Cat 41

Teeto, you're coming to a great place. However. A 30' RV will be stunningly expensive on the ferry. (you get both length and overheight charges) The good news is that once you're on the island, you won't have to buy a return ticket!

As for lines. I might try arriving in that line for the very early ferry mentioned above. With an RV, you have all the comforts of home while you wait. There are no reservations and it just becomes a first come, first served process. Even now in the winter, I usually plan on arriving an hour before departure at a minimum. Be prepared to wait through one or two ferries during summer weekends and holidays.

Since the 4th is midweek, you won't be competing so much with weekend tourists nor weekly visitors who tend to arrive or depart on the weekends. But it will be busy anyway. Friday Harbor has a mid-morning parade on the 4th as well that will tie up ferry traffic as well. Come early. Be prepared to wait.

Sadly, I won't be here to say hello as I'm skippering a small cruise ship in Alaska that week. How long are you staying?
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 07:57   #38

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Teeto don't forget your discovery pass. Washington states latest money grab. The only thing they like better than charging you for the pass is fining you for not having one. Sort of like the mafia but not as friendly.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 08:25   #39

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Quote:
If it's an island trip you desire, the Blackball Ferry out of Port Angeles to Vancouver Island DOES take reservations. I don't have any idea of your plans, but it's an option. Also you can return to Anacortes from Sydney through the San Juans, just a thought. On July 4th, 4-6 hour wait for a sailing from Anacortes isn't unheard of, but rare.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 09:57   #40

Quote:
I would get there very very early in the am. It can be a backed up mess that time of year anyway... July 4 may be the worst! The winter schedule shows boats approx every 2 hours starting at 4:30 am and ending at 9 pm, but it's tricky, some boats stop at some places and other dont! There appear to be less available times coming back! Huh? Weekend schedule is different.
That should be very fun, beautiful island that time of year! Have fun.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 10:20   #41

Stay in a store parking lot just a few blocks from the ferry docks, set alarm for 3 am go stright to the docks and make coffee and wait ! you will get there on the same day !! LOL have fun it's great up there! and don't miss going to Van Isl. and see the Bousharte Gardens(spl) !! just an Idea Connie loves it there!
Old 25-03-2012, 23:23   #42

OK, seems like it would be best to alter plans slightly and take the ferry over on the 3rd July. Plan to stay three nights then over to Van Island.
Seems like beautiful country. Thanks so much for the advice. Very hard to get that sort of info!
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 00:08   #43

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

These guy's have some good information for you, also Bob And Connie are correct,,if its a weekend arrive early,,if its a long weekend arive the nite before.
Have a great time in my back yard..

BC ferries ferry schedules rates Victoria - Washington - Vancouver - Tsawwassen - Swartz Bay - Seattle - Port Angeles - Birds of a Feather B&B

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 16:50   #44

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

Interested in Sailing the San Juan Islands. Thinking of taking my boat from San Diego for the summer. My other option is to find a crew position for a week or two. Is there anyone sailing there that could use a crew member?
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 21:55   #45

Boat: C&C 37, 1985

No posts here since October 2012?

Anyone know of an active forum of the sailing community in the San Juans?
subdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san juan islands