Yes, I know of it 0 0%
Never heard of it 0 0%
Hope to visit 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2011, 21:29   #1

Boat: Cooper 316, 32ft Pilothouse Slooop
Sailing the Great Bear Rain Forest

The Central Coast of British Columbia is a world class cruising destination. It offers some of the finest scenery on the west coast.

The white sand beaches of Hakai Luxbalis Conservatory are located on the outer coast. Hakai, as called by locals, offers 475 square miles of pristine shoreline. Here, marine life is abundant. Seals, sea otters, dolphins, orca & humpback whales are frequently spotted.
Spend the day exploring the expansive maze of islands, inlets and coves. Spend the night tucked into one of the area's numerous picturesque anchorages.

Enjoy a salmon barbecue at sunset and soak in the magic of being the only ones there..besides eagles, deer and the occasional wolf. Fuel, groceries and full marina services are available at Shearwater & Bella Bella. Next, head inland to the fjords, estuaries, salmon streams and old growth forests of the Coast Mountain Range. Explore Fjordlands Recreation Area.

Cruising these waters is a dream-like experience, passing through dramatic, seemingly endless fjords and passing by glacier capped mountains that rise thousands of feet straight up from the water's edge. Motoring is required to navigate through some of the areas narrow passages, while the fjords and long inlets provide exciting sailing opportunities. Fuel, water, and groceries are available at Klemtu; a very friendly First Nation community.

Few areas of the world can match the wealth of wildlife in the Coast Mountain Rain Forest. Seals, whales, wolves, grizzly bears, black bears and eagles can all be seen - possibly in just one day!

Bella Coola is located in the North Central Coast and is reachable via HWY 20, Pacific Coastal Airlines, or BC Ferry (from Port Hardy). It's a good charter departure point for those who would like to cruise the North Coast or the BC Inside Passage without spending a lot of travel time. Services in Bella Coola include reasonable berthage at the public wharf, fuel, parking, laundry, showers, phones and wireless internet.

Oh, and we have the finest hot springs in BC. They're located within easy reach of Bella Coola, including Eucott Bay Hot Springs, Nascall Hot Springs and Bishop Bay Hot Springs. These are natural springs, unspoiled and pristine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roscoeinlet1.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	23881   Click image for larger version

Name:	serpentanchorage.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	23882  

Name:	Emerge.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	23883   Click image for larger version

Name:	grizzly.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	23884  

Name:	dfalls.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	23885  
carstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 21:39   #2

Shameless marketing hype cut-and-paste, however true. A remarkable cruising destination even if you don't spend your cruising kitty with the vendor behind this....
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 21:42   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Shameless marketing hype cut-and-paste, however true. A remarkable cruising destination even if you don't spend your cruising kitty with the vendor behind this....
Funny. I was thinking the same thing--that this was being written by someone from the Chamber of Commerce.

Sigh.

On the other hand, I've never sailed in a forest.
Old 16-02-2011, 22:17   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
Funny. I was thinking the same thing--that this was being written by someone from the Chamber of Commerce.
Yeah, but still better than some of the pap we get around here these days. I have been down the inside passage twice, and its everything carstom says it is, and probably more.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 22:19   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Yeah, but still better than some of the pap we get around here these days. I have been down the inside passage twice, and its everything carstom says it is, and probably more.
no doubt. I've sailed British Columbia several times, and have always left enchanted.

But I've never yet sailed in a forest.
Old 16-02-2011, 22:20   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I'm with DeepFrz. Coastal BC is a tourist brouchure

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 08:10   #7

Boat: searching
Re: Sailing the Great Bear Rain Forest

Enjoyed reading this promo as we plan to head north to Alaska this summer. Getting a little excited actually.

Thanks
Old 21-02-2011, 09:15   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, carstom.

Are you affiliated with Bella Coola Yacht Charters?
Popular Destinations to Sail or Powerboat with Bella Coola Yacht Charters

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 10:20   #9

Hello and thanks for the remarks. Sorry if my typical itinerary of the inland passage sounded like an advertisement. It's just that not many people have experienced cruising in a place like this & I really enjoy sharing my experiences here.

Seven years ago I came to visit the Bella Coola valley. From the moment our prop plane landed I knew I had found my paradise. The combination of REAL wilderness, towering mountains, glaciers and wildlife took my breath away. I sold my renewable-energy business back east and bought a sailboat. I now manage two Cooper sailboats for charter (my life long dream).

If you're considering cruising BC's central coast, I'm happy to help with any questions you might have.
Old 21-02-2011, 10:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbseesmoore View Post
Enjoyed reading this promo as we plan to head north to Alaska this summer. Getting a little excited actually.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, carstom.

Are you affiliated with Bella Coola Yacht Charters?
Popular Destinations to Sail or Powerboat with Bella Coola Yacht Charters

Yes, I'm the owner, but not here to solicit, only to answer questions & offer advise of cruising the central coast.

As you head to Alaska, consider taking 2-3 days extra to circle King Island (Fitz-Hugh Sound). It has some of the most dramatic scenery in the world, along with one of the finest hot springs I've ever experienced. Best anchorages include Cathedral Point Cove (in Burke Channel), Eucott Bay (w/ hot springs) & Codville Lagoon (Fisher Channel).

Either way, enjoy your trip.
Old 21-02-2011, 11:14   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I thought maybe that was a Cooper 353 in one of your photos. Was it in fact a 316?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 11:56   #12

The boat in the photo is my Cooper 316. The other boat that we manage is a Cooper 353.
Old 22-02-2011, 15:43   #13

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

Sailed and lived on and very near to the BC North Coast for 25 years. Been to SE Alaska. No developments like Alaska. is still very much one of the last unspoilt and undisturbed wilderness areas. No services, hardly any emergency services. You can sail all day and not see another boat, let alone a Sail boat. WIldlife is here but you have to know where and when to look.

Mid coast around BB is almost the same. Just more Americans with big boats. Most American boats just making time Motaring up and down the Inside Passage which is OK the first time. Bloody tiresome after awhile.

Beaufiful Photos by the charter guy, BUT It is called rainforest for a reason!! The good thing is all the rain keeps the flies down, So when it sunshines and it looks beautiful anchor in a breeze:-)

From North Pacific who is heading to Thailand.
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bella Coola, british columbia, Great Bear Rainforest, passage, sailing