Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2015, 16:47   #1

Sailing San Diego to Cabo/La Paz

Hello all, I am new to this forum but I have some questions. I have a Catalina 27 and I was interested in sailing down to Cabo or La Paz depending on the timeframe. I have read a bit about the baja-ha-ha and gotten some info regarding ports and whatnot, but I have never done an overnight on my boat, thus I have never sailed through the night. This is one of my areas of concern as I do not know the first thing about overnighting.
The crew would be three people.

My plan, ideally, would to take it one way and either donate it to a fishing community down there or keep it on an extended mooring.

Any advise or direction would be appreciated.

thanks!
ryangreenspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 10:40   #2

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38
Re: Sailing San Diego to Cabo/La Paz

Welcome to CF!

If you are brand new to sailing... you have a great bay to learn on. If you have experience already, then I would say to practice overnight or night sailing in Southern Cal. Do a triangle sail. San Diego to Catalina to Dana Point and back down to San Diego or the reverse. You will gain experience with upwind, downwind, no wind , etc.

I lived in So Cal before heading south for good and I did the trip to Cabo and back a number of times. Single-handed and with crew on my boat and also helped bring dock buddies boats both south and north on first time trips.

Yes... there is the "Ha Ha" and from what I hear and have seen, it is a fun party and huge group sail, so that may be for you. Personally, from my observations of the Ha Ha fleet leavings and arrivings over the years, I just compare it to very bad rush hour traffic on the freeway. Nowhere I choose to be. But for you, the crowd may be a good first time hand holder. Your call.

Practice where you are first. Gain confidence doing night sails in So Cal then... let 'er rip southbound!

Cheers!
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
la paz, sail, sailing, san diego