Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2021, 01:48   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Molenmaker Dutch steel gaff-rigged ketch
Sailing conditions Panama to Galapagos

I am planning to depart from Haiti in late January 2022 bound for the Philippines via Panama. Years ago I sailed from Panama to Hawaii and had to beat or motorsail towards the Galapagos for 5 days before finding any decent wind. This time I will take the southerly route and the currents to Marquesas look great but getting into the trade winds is a bitch.

Any good advice on a sailing plan from Panama into south of the ITCZ?
Old 29-10-2021, 10:33   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Sailing conditions Panama to Galapagos

The first time that I sailed Panama to Ecuador, it took me two weeks, lots of wind right on the nose, lots of motoring. The wrong time of year. Dumb on my part.

Second time, I waited until early February and the north winds. Left Panama with 25-30 knots, almost dead astern, half the yankee jib and double reefed main, in 4.5 days never trimmed the sails and had to wait on arrival for the tide change.

From mainland Ecuador, it should be easier to find the SE trades.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 11:08   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

ITCZ varies in width - Jan is okay, but it still quite wide…..going south largely following the coast towards Ecuador should minimize the time spent becalmed at sea.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 11:49   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Molenmaker Dutch steel gaff-rigged ketch

North winds in February? Nice to know thank you. Last time I almost used all my fuel just getting into the SE Trades and for the next five weeks barely had enough fuel to charge with! This time I have solar and a propshaft alternator as well as will carry a LOT more diesel but I'll never forget that week of beating or becalming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
The first time that I sailed Panama to Ecuador, it took me two weeks, lots of wind right on the nose, lots of motoring. The wrong time of year. Dumb on my part.

Second time, I waited until early February and the north winds. Left Panama with 25-30 knots, almost dead astern, half the yankee jib and double reefed main, in 4.5 days never trimmed the sails and had to wait on arrival for the tide change.

From mainland Ecuador, it should be easier to find the SE trades.
Capt. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 12:55   #5

Boat: Norseman 447

Usually, the ITCZ is north of the equator. So leaving Panama, you get SE-SW winds all the way. Or none at all. In January-February the Caribbean has the Christmas winds, which funnel across the canal low spot a fairly strong n'lies. And the ITCZ moves south. If you’re lucky, you can carry the n'lies almost all the way.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2021, 16:45   #6

I have done the trip 3 times. If you are early enough (feb-march) and re-enforced trades cross the itshmus then you can get a following breeze some or all of the way. If not then leaving the gulf of panama aim for Malpelo island, probably on starboard tack, or beating. Then tack onto port near to Malpelo. This course will put you N of the Galapagos but the wind usually goes left as you travel west and you will normally lay through from Malpelo.
My personal choice is NOT to stop at the Galapagos islands. It's expensive, the anchorages are not good, the food isn't great..... In my view the time is better spent in the Marquess's or Tuamotu islands. In the end, getting across the Pacific to avoid cyclones is a rush and places will be missed. Galapagos is not one of my personal highlights.
kiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 09:20   #7
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Read a true account of a small boat sailing this route: “Desperate Voyage” by John Caldwell 1949. He was a stranded merchant marine in Panama, 1946, after the war and trying to get home to Australia. there was an extreme shortage of transport right after the war so he bought a small cutter and learned to sail.
Used paperbacks are cheaply available.
Old 30-10-2021, 09:47   #8

I have read it. A long time ago. A great read.
kiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 15:02   #9

Expect calms, light, variable winds, adverse currents, and occasional squalls until well west of the Galápagos. I remember that we lost 63 miles one day. Then steady southeast trades all the way to the marquesas. Take lots of fuel and plan on refueling in the Galápagos.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 17:59   #10

Ditto for mid-late Feb departure, had mostly SW winds, occasionally NW from Panama City, what a relief after transiting during the coup.
JohnHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 18:42   #11

I sailed from Panama south to pickup the Humbolt Current then turning west toward The Marquesas. We had been advised that wind would be an issue all the way south until picking up the current. We found this to be so and had to motor all the way south. We took 660L in the fuel tank, about 9 x 30L diesel containers, and a fuel bladder which filled the cockpit floor between the steering pedestal and companionway opening. We were able to carefully walk on this. This we used first with a small pump system direct to the deck fuel input. This bladder was brought to Panama by a crew member who brought it as luggage on his flight over - it folds up to a small suitcase size and is stowed in the lazarette. It took all the worry over fuel usage away and we happily motored when required and refilled the fuel tank only, in the Marquesas.
nautilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2021, 21:13   #12

Boat: Young 42

We sailed from Panama in April 2017, and had light winds, but were able to sail most of the 8 days it took us to reach Santa Cruz.
jipcho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Galapagos, Panama, sail, sailing