Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 15:24   #1

Boat: Leopard 39
Sailing Bundaberg To Noumea

Anyone sailing from Bundaberg to Noumea in early May? With the SE tradewinds the passage can be a bumpy one. But intend to wait in Bundaberg for a suitable weather window.
velella15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 15:46   #2

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: sailing Bundaberg to Noumea

sorry, i am not able to go at this point.

As I am setting up my boat for this type of travels, hope you do not mind this question ...

what kind of storm management equipment do you have and what is your storm technique?

I have 125 m, 20mm nylon and will add wraps as/if required. Plan also to reinforce stern cleats although 2 winches will serve as back up. So will be active sail/motor technique.

thanks
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 15:56   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Sailing Bundaberg To Noumea

V-15, that's gonna be a real bash!

we've made the Oz-New Cal passage around 10 times, and have found that a more southern departure point is worth the trouble of getting south down the Qld coast.

Were I in your place, I'd work my way south at least as far as Southport before clearing, and then wait for a low off the NSW coast to provide a break in the trades (noting that this early in the season those lows can bring fairly strong Wly quadrant winds and big seas).

At any rate, have a good passage!

Jim
Old 17-04-2016, 16:50   #4

Ditto that Jim! I'd suggest Southport, or even Yamba as a better departure point.

Bundaberg is a great option, however, on the return trip.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 16:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Ditto that Jim! I'd suggest Southport, or even Yamba as a better departure point.

Bundaberg is a great option, however, on the return trip.
Sadly, Yamba is not a Customs port at this time, so not available as a departure point. But, Coffs Harbour is, and we've used that successfully too.

Jim
Old 17-04-2016, 20:33   #6
DtM

Jim,

Have you left from as far south as Sydney?

I assume that the reason for going from Coffs or Southport is to get the tail end of the southerly from the low pressure. How long have you had that southerly effect last on the way to Noumea?

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 21:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
V-15, that's gonna be a real bash!

we've made the Oz-New Cal passage around 10 times, and have found that a more southern departure point is worth the trouble of getting south down the Qld coast.

Were I in your place, I'd work my way south at least as far as Southport before clearing, and then wait for a low off the NSW coast to provide a break in the trades (noting that this early in the season those lows can bring fairly strong Wly quadrant winds and big seas).

At any rate, have a good passage!

Jim
Thanks Jim - I know it will be a bumpy trip but sailing south from Hervey Bay against the SE winds that we are having would also be pretty ordinary.
The tactic is to wait for a reasonable weather window and sail south of east for as long as possible in preparation for the inevitable SE trades. Cheers, Mike
Old 17-04-2016, 21:50   #8

Re: sailing Bundaberg to Noumea

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
sorry, i am not able to go at this point.

As I am setting up my boat for this type of travels, hope you do not mind this question ...

what kind of storm management equipment do you have and what is your storm technique?

I have 125 m, 20mm nylon and will add wraps as/if required. Plan also to reinforce stern cleats although 2 winches will serve as back up. So will be active sail/motor technique.

thanks
I have a drogue and warps to stream in a blow. If there is enough sea room I always opt for using warps/drogues and heading downwind at the slowest possible speed (if the storm is away from the destination).
There are old sailors and bold sailors but there are no old, bold sailors!
Old 17-04-2016, 22:52   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtM View Post
Jim,

Have you left from as far south as Sydney?

I assume that the reason for going from Coffs or Southport is to get the tail end of the southerly from the low pressure. How long have you had that southerly effect last on the way to Noumea?

daniel
Daniel, yes we have departed from Sydney... and got caught in an unforecast East Coast low north of Lord Howe. Worst sea conditions we have ever encountered, lead indirectly to being dismasted a few days later. Bad scene!

And yes, our scheme is to be far enough north that when such a low forms we get a couple of days of westerlies. Starting from Southport, they tend to be pretty benign in strength. We sail around due East as long as they last, and by then, as the wind backs to the S and then SE, it's a close reach to Passe Boularie. One special voyage, the westerly lasted just to when we were rounding Torch Banks, south of Il de Pins (we were headed to Vila) and in an uncanny way, it backed just as we started the NE leg of that passage. Hardly had to touch a sheet, all the way to Efate... unreal!

Our favorite time of year for this is August-September. Going much earlier finds it kinda wintery in NC, and water is pretty cold for our old bones. The local weather just keeps getting nicer as cyclone season approaches, and we usually start back in late November or very early December, usually encountering moderate trades as we go... a very nice passage most of the time.

The possible advantage of a Sydney departure is that if there is no low formation, you have a decent sailing angle in the trades. It just didn't work out that way the time we tried it!

Jim
Old 17-04-2016, 23:03   #10
DtM

Thanks Jim.

When are you heading back up to Pittwater?

Be safe.

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 23:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtM View Post
Thanks Jim.

When are you heading back up to Pittwater?

Be safe.

daniel
On the next bit of southerly weather, with a stop in Jervis Bay for a few days.

Jim

Tags
sail, sailing