Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2010, 20:32   #16

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Yeah if only we could get there. I just flew out for a three week cruise during the worst weather the West Coast has seen in three years FML! Guess I will be sitting on the dock in SD instead. I would like to change the topic of this thread to Safety in San Diego.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 20:57   #17

Boat: Buccaneer 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

I hate having to wait in line for my fish tacos.

That is how I tell if it is a good (Safe) Taco stand

Scott
Morganministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 16:12   #18

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
The best way to suss a taco stand is to look for cockroaches, if you don't see any they probably spray with DDT, stick to the places with cockroaches.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 17:19   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
I always felt safer in Mexico than I did in the US.
I agree. I played a gig many years ago for the city of Los Angeles. It was in a skid row park. We were accompanied by armed guards the whole time and ringed around by them when playing. Saw a guy stabbed in the audience. The last couple of winters I played some gigs in Mexico. Completely informal, relaxed and wonderful. Also went to the easter celebration in Mazatlan. The streets were elbow to elbow and Banda bands were playing every ten feet. Complete mayhem. Myself and the people I was with (including women) never felt any reason for concern. There was a significant military presence but we never saw a reason for it.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 17:40   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
any thoughts on safety issues when traveling in Mexico?
Once you get beyond the borders Mexico is pretty nice. Probably no worse than the US in most ways and maybe less in some others.

The don't be stupid rule is the guide. If you wouldn't do it at home don't do it in Mexico. Being nice matters - a whole lot. When you are a stranger, it helps to show you are not a threat. A smile is universal and is never a bad idea. Some bad Spanish might be more valuable than you can imagine. All people want to know you are trying to get along and fit in. It's easy to be honest, so don't leave it behind. Other people in other cultures know when you are trying and when you are being demanding and more trouble than you are worth. Sharing anything is always a way to make friends and making friends will make your trip more pleasant and enjoyable.

When you look at it from that persecutive you can learn to be better at it. You can meet very poor people with generous hearts and helpful information. Given you will be in short supply, it pays to treat everyone like they could be your new best friend. They have you out numbered so join in or be miserable. I always enjoy Mexico.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2010, 22:28   #21

Boat: Buccaneer 240
My 6 year old son spent part of his day off today packing for our next missionary trip to Mexico. He showed me his 5 bags that he wants to take with him.
I hated to tell him that the trip isn't scheduled until June.

On our first missionary trip together I asked him while we were still in Mexico if he wanted to come back with me again. His answer was "No, I don't want to leave Mexico.
I had to remind him that his mom was probably going to miss us if we didn't go home.

It is a great place, Relax and have fun.

Scott
Morganministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 15:13   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sded View Post
The 10 year temporary import permit costs ~$50 these days, and is not required for check in/check out, so no one has ever seen mine. For longer stays where you import parts for your boat it will save you duty costs. Liability insurance is required, on the other hand, and is a bit more expensive than that-typically $195.
Friends who cruised there last year were charged US$300 for the import permit . Has that been changed since last winter?
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 15:35   #23

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
I paid $300 my first boat to have it all done for me, by a guy who was trustworthy and had a good reputation. (He took my passport, my visa, all my boat papers over night)

My next boat I went and did myself, took half a day to drive into the city and file the papers. It was real cheap or close to free. And the nice thing is it lasts 10 years.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 15:51   #24

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
I paid ~$55 in 2006 for a 10 yr import permit-internet via Banjercito-and the current quoted price by the Aduana office if you don't have one is ~$55 at the current exchange rate. Your friend got ripped off if he paid $300, since whoever got it for him just pocketed most of the money-he could use Banjercito too. I was just in Ensenada in December 2009 and verified it again. You can still get the permits online at http://www.banjercito.com.mx/site/im...IITV_type.html (Use Internet Explorer). Delivered to your home, pay via credit card, very rapid delivery.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 16:45   #25

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Thanks for your stories, especially yours, Rick. That is the kind of treatment I have always had when traveling in the third world. Mexico is a haven of honor and respect. I have not been there for twenty years, but as soon as my gaff cutter is done [I am building] that is where I am going ASAP. Mexicanos, whether in the US or at home are an honorable and fine people. As I have said on another thread on this website, a smile is worth far more than a pistol anywhere in the world.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2010, 18:18   #26

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
BTW, the necessity of Mexican Liability Insurance for checking in and out was new to me. Last trip only Marinas asked for it, if anyone. But this time I had to give an insurance certificate to Immigration and the Port Captain on both check in and check out at Ensenada. Surprised me, since the Baja HaHa people had not mentioned this as a new rule in October. Fortunately I think it is something worth having anyway, or check in would have taken a bit longer.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2010, 13:17   #27
cruiser

Someone else on one of these chatlines said it was $300 US
Old 20-01-2010, 18:36   #28

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982
10 year TIP

We purchased our TIP late '08 in La Paz, BCS. The charge was approximately $50 U.S. I suspect whoever was quoting a $300 charge was either overcharged by his 'agent' or was suffering a memory lapse.

As for safety in Mexico, we cruised from San Diego as far as Puerto Vallarta, along the west coast of Mexico and spent several months exploring the Sea of Cortez and always felt very safe and welcomed by all who we met along the way. The only story of theft we were aware of, involved loss of an inflatable from a boat at anchor in La Paz. The tender was left in the water overnight tied to a sailboat and it had its outboard motor and oars on-board. When anchored in busy harbors, it is always a good practice to raise your inflatable out of the water for the night.

From our experience cruising for a little over eight months in Mexico, we felt as safe, if not safer than in the U.S. As mentioned previously, smile, don't do anything you wouldn't do when you are at home in the U.S. and enjoy the hospitality of the people and the history of the country.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 12:31   #29
cruiser

Guess it's best to get your fees in writing from the nearest Mexican consulate before leaving, and a phone number you can call when you have a problem.
Old 05-03-2010, 13:19   #30

Boat: Valiant 40 - Magda Jean
It is safer in Mexico than it is here. I have been going there for over 35 years with never a problem. I just returrned from a week at Baja Naval in Ensenada and not only did we not lock up, we left the boat wide open to air out.
sailbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, safety