Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2017, 06:59   #61

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Safety and Piracy In Mexican Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
You are defending the indefensible. In a corrupt hand out system, the winner is the one with most money. In this case; the unlawful citizen (dealer, narco, robber, or whatever he is) will likely be the one with more money. Is it so hard to understand? It is not "an opinion". It's a fact of life.
Funny. If you substitute Corporation for "dealer, narco, robber or whatever he is" you'd be talking about Congress.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 07:22   #62
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Bill, I do appreciate Zee and value her input. But ignoring the growing violence around doesn't make it any less dangerous. Just like investment warnings - past experience is no guarantee of future performance. Everyone has a story like yours until the day they become a victim. Just a suggestion to stay aware and not be complacent. Most victims were surprised.....
there is nothing to ignore. life around us is peaceful and quiet. sunny days. 2011 we heard the pocketa pocketa of machine gunning in early morning darkness hours. no longer do we hear this. is QUIET despitte the fact that 3 cartels are in dispute over the territory.
i donot deal with cartel nor does anyone i know.
the only ones to be endangered are those doing business with cartels. how much clearer can i say this?
tourists are protected spoecies UNLESS they do business with cartels, in which case they are very stupid and perhaps dead. same folks play russian roulette.
what can i say.
i know where the various cartels happen to set up shop only because i enjoy knowing where the potential dangers run. that can be important. HOWEVER, as i do NOT do business with cartels, and as mexico's individuals and families appreciate their tourist dollars, i am safe. my things are safe. my cats are safe. and i know why the military suddenly became such a strongly obvious presence on the streets.
anyone who walks around anywhere in world without knowing the situation prevalent should not be in the area.
i dont care where you are.
it is much safer here with less cartel presence than it was in lost angeles.
i know that from my working in lost angeles in emergency rooms and icu for sooo many many years.
by the way, only ignorant people think i donot know what is happening around me. helpful hint for getting along. hahahahaha
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 08:26   #63

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ay, only ignorant people think i donot know what is happening around me. hahahahaha
So what can you say about the safety at Cabeza Negra?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 09:20   #64

cabeza negra?? pays your money you takes your chances just as with every place on the planet. doesnot matter where you are.
you choose your own destiny.

http://www.zoologicosantafe.com/mami...der-monkey-eng

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabecita_negra

http://riosafari.com/menu/animales/a...-cabeza-negra/

https://www.facebook.com/asaderocabezanegrachetumal/

seems you have a large choice of cabeza negra research topics. have fun.
Old 27-08-2017, 09:44   #65

[QUOTE=zeehag;2465285]cabeza negra?? pays your money you takes your chances just as with every place on the planet. doesnot matter where you are.

You have not been there either? It has an Army guard tower overlooking the anchorage because of the rich Mexicans living there. About as safe as you can get. Just south of Manzanillo by the way, just so you really know about your surroundings. Who wants to be "ignorant"?
Old 27-08-2017, 10:28   #66

[QUOTE=Guy;2465308]
Quote:
cabeza negra?? pays your money you takes your chances just as with every place on the planet. doesnot matter where you are.

You have not been there either? It has an Army guard tower overlooking the anchorage because of the rich Mexicans living there. About as safe as you can get. Just south of Manzanillo by the way, just so you really know about your surroundings. Who wants to be "ignorant"?
my surroundings are where i am , not where i am not. i make a point of learning the territorial politics, what is danger to me and others around me, and i could almost give a ***** about where the megas park. i know captains who manage them but i care not where they stay, as we paupers are not invited, even for storming times.
therefore, your remarks are troll sounds. enjoy yourself., pay attention to that which affects you and dont mess with the rest.
Old 27-08-2017, 10:34   #67

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Zeehag, where are you now and where are you going next?

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 10:48   #68

Quote:
there is nothing to ignore. life around us is peaceful and quiet. sunny days. 2011 we heard the pocketa pocketa of machine gunning in early morning darkness hours. no longer do we hear this. is QUIET despitte the fact that 3 cartels are in dispute over the territory.
i donot deal with cartel nor does anyone i know.
the only ones to be endangered are those doing business with cartels. how much clearer can i say this?
tourists are protected spoecies UNLESS they do business with cartels, in which case they are very stupid and perhaps dead. same folks play russian roulette.
what can i say.
i know where the various cartels happen to set up shop only because i enjoy knowing where the potential dangers run. that can be important. HOWEVER, as i do NOT do business with cartels, and as mexico's individuals and families appreciate their tourist dollars, i am safe. my things are safe. my cats are safe. and i know why the military suddenly became such a strongly obvious presence on the streets.
anyone who walks around anywhere in world without knowing the situation prevalent should not be in the area.
i dont care where you are.
it is much safer here with less cartel presence than it was in lost angeles.
i know that from my working in lost angeles in emergency rooms and icu for sooo many many years.
by the way, only ignorant people think i donot know what is happening around me. helpful hint for getting along. hahahahaha
I don't know who told you tourists are protected from the cartels. They may only occasionally murder tourists, but I can give you a lot of examples of it happening. Some of the scenarios I have seen.
1. Tourist starts argument with cartel guy in bar, in Acapulco, not knowing he is arguing with a sociopathic killer (this happened to a student from New Orleans. They took him outside, beat him, and ran over him with a car repeatedly. His death certificate said he was killed in a traffic accident.
2. Tourist is mistaken for a police officer. This happened to a tourist from Fort Worth, who walked into a bar frequented by cartel members. His bad luck, he looked exactly like a DEA agent who the cartel had targeted. He simply disappeared and was only found later when the DEA started receiving information from informants because, they, too, believed a DEA agent had been killed. He was just listed as a missing person until months later when the DEA dug him (and the friend who just had the bad luck to walk in with him) up, (looking for his look alike agent who the cartel had finally kidnapped and killed).
3. Tourist is mistaken for a member of rival cartel (this usually only happens to tourist who are Spanish in appearance, but this one involved a tourist who looked very much like Edgar Valdez Villereal, whose nickname was La Barbie because of his Caucasian looks. The Los Zetas didn't bother to check his ID before trying to kill him (luckily, he was in an armored car and survived).
4. Completely random. Tourist college student down in Matamoros in 1989 for spring break, who is kidnapped, cut up, cooked and eaten (yes, eaten), by a drug cartel as part of a satanic ritual. Bet, you didn't hear about that one in the newspapers, did you? It finally came out, months later, as a by line. To their credit, even some of the other cartel members even thought this was pretty far gone (as evidenced by their wiretap conversations). They found 14 other partially dismembered bodies at the site. No one knows how many missing people they actually ate.

I could go on and on. Yeah, Mexico probably isn't more dangerous than a lot of American cities like Detroit, New Orleans or Chicago. But, I wonder why people go there for vacation, too.

Again, violence doesn't really affect you, until it affects you. But, the idea that if there was a lot of violence in Mexico against tourists, it would be reported, is being more naïve than any adult wanting to go there has a right to be. Corruption just isn't about money. It's a way of life, including the way the media is affected and works.

It's everybody's own decision about where they go and what they do. But, the best decisions are the ones made with the most information.
Old 27-08-2017, 11:20   #69

to answer my location, i am in mazatlan now when my repairs are complete i will return to barra de navidad and points south.
as for finding ones self in bad situations, if you act human and donot start or participate in bar fights you willbe ok just like everywhere else in world. act ugly, be treated as such. i really have no sympathy for those out and about looking for trouble. these asshooligans are what give us a bad name .
we are visitors in a nother nation, we are not born here nor naturalized into the nation. we are visa holders. need to be polite and respect the land and folks and act human or pretend to be such.

smart folks donot go trolling in bars for fights. only stupid folks do that, and few cruisers are that stupid.
Old 27-08-2017, 11:53   #70

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I don't know who told you tourists are protected from the cartels. They may only occasionally murder tourists, but I can give you a lot of examples of it happening. Some of the scenarios I have seen.
1. Tourist starts argument with cartel guy in bar, in Acapulco, not knowing he is arguing with a sociopathic killer (this happened to a student from New Orleans. They took him outside, beat him, and ran over him with a car repeatedly. His death certificate said he was killed in a traffic accident.
2. Tourist is mistaken for a police officer. This happened to a tourist from Fort Worth, who walked into a bar frequented by cartel members. His bad luck, he looked exactly like a DEA agent who the cartel had targeted. He simply disappeared and was only found later when the DEA started receiving information from informants because, they, too, believed a DEA agent had been killed. He was just listed as a missing person until months later when the DEA dug him (and the friend who just had the bad luck to walk in with him) up, (looking for his look alike agent who the cartel had finally kidnapped and killed).
3. Tourist is mistaken for a member of rival cartel (this usually only happens to tourist who are Spanish in appearance, but this one involved a tourist who looked very much like Edgar Valdez Villereal, whose nickname was La Barbie because of his Caucasian looks. The Los Zetas didn't bother to check his ID before trying to kill him (luckily, he was in an armored car and survived).
4. Completely random. Tourist college student down in Matamoros in 1989 for spring break, who is kidnapped, cut up, cooked and eaten (yes, eaten), by a drug cartel as part of a satanic ritual. Bet, you didn't hear about that one in the newspapers, did you? It finally came out, months later, as a by line. To their credit, even some of the other cartel members even thought this was pretty far gone (as evidenced by their wiretap conversations). They found 14 other partially dismembered bodies at the site. No one knows how many missing people they actually ate.

I could go on and on. Yeah, Mexico probably isn't more dangerous than a lot of American cities like Detroit, New Orleans or Chicago. But, I wonder why people go there for vacation, too.

Again, violence doesn't really affect you, until it affects you. But, the idea that if there was a lot of violence in Mexico against tourists, it would be reported, is being more naïve than any adult wanting to go there has a right to be. Corruption just isn't about money. It's a way of life, including the way the media is affected and works.

It's everybody's own decision about where they go and what they do. But, the best decisions are the ones made with the most information.
To come up with 4 examples you had to go back nearly 30 years!!?? I'll bet you really could go on and on... fear mongering.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 12:20   #71

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Kinda says it all...
Spring break - Nolan Webster break - Spring Cancun Mexico
Old 27-08-2017, 12:28   #72

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I don't think anyone is saying Mexico is a perfectly safe paradise (because that doesn't exist in the world) but rather like everywhere you need situational awareness (head on a swivel) and take precautions.

In all of the places I've lived (Los Angeles, San Diego, Heilbronn-Germany, Ensenada, Mexico, Las Vegas, Hilo-Hawai'i and Florida) I rank Los Angeles and Las Vegas the most likely places I would die if I lived there permanently. But there are places I wouldn't go in all of those locations.

When I told the people in the office (based in Southern California) that I was moving to Mexico (working remotely) I think they had a pool on the number of hours I would go before being killed or kidnapped. I think what you see in these posts is a push back against this over the top "OMG, Mexico = death".
Old 27-08-2017, 12:32   #73

ogodweallgonnadie.... stay away stay away. yup. perfect. love it.
Old 27-08-2017, 13:13   #74

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Not to forget the incident last year in which 2 Aussie surfers were killed by low level narcos just outside of Culiacan.
Bodies found in Mexico are missing Australian surfers - CNN

Also, the incident on the "El Chepe" train several years ago in which a Swiss tourist was shot for filming a robbery in progress after being told to stop. (Apparently, the perpetrators were all subsequently killed by higher ups who were angry about the attention the incident drew.)

We could go on, but I think we can all agree on 2 points.
1. Yes, there is a lot of violence in Mexico at present and, while tourists are not specifically targeted by the cartels, they are not immune. It is naive to assume otherwise.
2. Those of us traveling by boat along the coasts and not engaging with the cartels are at very low risk. As far as the OP's original question is concerned, apart from the incident mentioned off the coast of Rosarito, I cannot think of a single incident in which a cruiser has been threatened or harmed in Mexico.

There is a world of difference between driving the backroads of the Sierra Madre and sailing the coast of Mexico. You couldn't pay me to do the former, while I feel completely at ease doing the latter.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2017, 13:32   #75

[QUOTE=mikereed100;2465481]of Rosarito, I cannot think of a single incident in which a cruiser has been threatened or harmed in Mexico. /QUOTE]

A couple of cruisers were attacked right in front Philo's in La Cruz not that long ago. Lat 38 had the story.

Tags
piracy, safety, water