Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2009, 19:37   #1

S. Pacific Islands - Fees?

I'm sure this is a redundant l post... but what fees could I expect when visiting islands like;
Hiva Oa, the Tuamotos, Marshalls, Bora Bora, the Cook Islands, Nuie, Tonga, Marquesas, Tuamotus, Society Islands, Tonga, Vanuatu, Suworrow, Niue and Chagos Nuku Hiva? I have a 34' cat. Just a general idea.
Markhumphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 20:30   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Checkout Noonsite.com, you may find entry fees of $100-200 in some places. And a requirement that you have return transportation, an open air ticket, or post bond 9requiring two currency exchanges with losses each way) to enter in.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 19:07   #3

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
A number of the the islands you mentioned are within the same country; therefore, not really any fees once you have cleared into that country. Hiva Oa and Nuku Hiva are in the Marquesas; and Bora Bora is in the Society Islands; and those 2 groups plus the Tuamotus are all part of the country of French Polynesia. Once you have cleared into Hiva Oa or Nuku Hiva in the Marquesas you don't really have additional clearance fees within French Polynesia; you are supposed to check in at each place you stop but there aren't really any fees. You officially clear out of French Polynesia in Papeete (Tahiti) and then later when you really do clear out at Bora Bora with the gendarmerie you will mail the paperwork back to Papeete. There are fees to clear out.

I track our expenses monthly with notes of places visited. Galapagos Islands and Marquesas were lumped together in one month, and I don't remember what each cost for clearance. Also skipped the Cook Islands so can't help you there. Here is a breakdown in USD for 2008 clearance fees (2 people onboard):

Galapagos & Marquesas $766
Clear out at Bora Bora $ 73
Nuie $ 45
Vava'u, Tonga $137
Nuku'alofa, Tonga $ 33
Vanuatu (May 2009) $200

Judy
S/V BeBe
Amel SM2 #387
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 21:01   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
If by some chance I arrive at one of these places without(much/enough) any money what are the likely problems? If I have enough just for supplies and am just moving on? I can't imagine my few dollars is going to make or break an economy. Could my boat be taken? Me locked up or just told to leave the country? The humanitarian in me would think that there must be a work around for those of us who own a small boat and don't have much money. I could live at sea for a really long time on $766. Or do I just have suck it up and give over another place to those with the money?.............m
Old 23-06-2009, 05:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
... The humanitarian in me would think that there must be a work around for those of us who own a small boat and don't have much money...
"A work-around for the indigent tourist."
What an "entitlement " concept!

Unfortunately for you, in most of these countries you wouldn’t be considered poor.

Over 80% of the world’s population lives on less than half of your impoverished $766/month ($9,192/year), including just about everyone outside of western Europe, North America & Australia/New Zealand.

The richest 1% of people in the world receives roughly as much as the bottom 60% (in total).

The world median income was about $1,700 ($141.66/month) in 2005. This was mostly earned through hard work, not from an independant source whilst out cruising in a boat worth ten times the value of their home.

My apologies for not sounding more sympathetic to your dire plight.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009, 06:50   #6

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Mark,

The Galapagos is by far the most costly on this trip. While I do not recall the exact numbers either, the $766.00 that BeBe is referring to is mostly related to the Galapagos. So you could skip the Galapagos or pull in for an emergency stop of 72 hours or less. This can be done with no agent and no fees to the port captain. You can save some money in French Polynesia by obtaining your 3 month visa before arriving. If you arrive with out it the first 1 month is free but you pay for the 2 month extension. Regardless you will have to put up the bond but that only cost a $27.00 bank fee. You will need to have the bond amount available in your account and be willing to give it up for 3 months. Or you could put in on your credit card and pay the interest for 3 months, but that would cost a pretty penny depending on how many of you on board. The only glitch is that you could loose (or make) money when you cash out the bond 3 months later due to exchange rate fluctuation. This is assuming you don't hold an EC passport in which case some of this will not apply.

Dave
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 14:59   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Hey Gord thanks for the world financial education on what an evil "entitled" bastard I really am. Perhaps I should go cut my wrists.

Just to recap I own an old(31yrs)small boat. I don't/won't have any outside income and the $766 was the amount to get into the Galapagos not my monthly spending. It just seemed to me to be a bit steep for entry fee and the question was about wether or not I would be facing confiscation of my boat/home for HAVING to put for resupply for not having enough money as a slightly indigent traveller.

We(the US) don't charge travellers to enter our country from the sea and if I'm not mistaken neither does Canada, although it's been many years since I was a Canadian and this may have changed.

I do however get pissed at the rich(apparently a relative concept) who screw up so many places with their excess and leave these places thinking that because I am a white/male/European/American I'm rich.

Since I don't live in some third world country where cost of living is low(relative to the US) based on the available income I AM poor in my own country.

I will excuse your snotty attitude because you're stuck ashore in that northern garden spot and having to live through your keyboard.
But if that is NOT your problem please feel to get stuffed...............m
Old 24-06-2009, 17:58   #8

Boat: 1973 Ericson 27
Quote:
Hey Gord thanks for the world financial education on what an evil "entitled" bastard I really am. Perhaps I should go cut my wrists.

<SNIP>
Someone having a bad day?

I thought Gord's post was spot on with the realities of the big world around us. Sad that you took it as a means to puff up and go on a small rant.

While I agree with you that people perceive if you own a boat you must be filthy rich to sail around the world. When I do it, I too will be doing it on a tight, but manageable budget.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 18:02   #9

cantxsailor dont be discouraged by the situation.There will always be cruisers who cant afford $100 entry fees.You may have to sneak around a bit but you will have lots more adventure than those that sail from restaurant to restaurant.
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 18:32   #10

Boat: deboated
Quote:

Just to recap I own an old(31yrs)small boat. I don't/won't have any outside income and the $766 was the amount to get into the Galapagos not my monthly spending. It just seemed to me to be a bit steep for entry fee and the question was about wether or not I would be facing confiscation of my boat/home for HAVING to put for resupply for not having enough money as a slightly indigent traveller.

We(the US) don't charge travellers to enter our country from the sea and if I'm not mistaken neither does Canada, although it's been many years since I was a Canadian and this may have changed.

I do however get pissed at the rich(apparently a relative concept) who screw up so many places with their excess and leave these places thinking that because I am a white/male/European/American I'm rich.

Since I don't live in some third world country where cost of living is low(relative to the US) based on the available income I AM poor in my own country.

I will excuse your snotty attitude because you're stuck ashore in that northern garden spot and having to live through your keyboard.
But if that is NOT your problem please feel to get stuffed...............m
I suggest you stay in North America you will be much happier and so will we. To enter French Polynesia you will have to put up a bond with the local bank equivalent to a return air fare to your home country. I suggest that they already have a book of excuses why you could not afford to pay. French Polynesia is a great place to cruise, expensive yes but the French have done a good job looking after the place and the locals (indigenous) live very well as a result. For the amount of area, islands, to visit within FP the bond is a cheap fee. Yes you do get it back but in French $ no matter how you paid it so you do lose some along the way. Euro citizens do not have to pay and it does not apply to New Caledonia. I crossed the Pacific last year and will be going again but not for a while so I hope it does not change much in the mean time influenced by rude visiting cruisers always bleating how poor they are and rubbing the locals up the wrong way.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 18:55   #11
jkd

But if that is NOT your problem please feel to get stuffed...............m[/quote]

Hey, I like this guy, straight and to the point!

Seriously, check out noonsite on the web or go buy the book (world cruising routes) VERY helpful. There are a few reports of the local government types becoming quite un-happy with "drop ins" that did not clear in at the proper island etc. One couple found themselves in the pokey for awhile after claiming a 'mechanical issue' with the engine and stopping off in an island that was up wind of the check in point and it appeared to the locals they did not want to beat to windward back to the island after the formalities were completed.
The prices are what they are, and I guess if you own the place that people want to go you can charge what you want. (after all us yanks have made it a point to export capitalism far and wide) If you want to go to Disney World you pay the gate fee or you win the super bowl and they let you in for free.
That is not to say that if you endear yourself to a local chief he won't let you hang around sans fees for awhile. The thing to remember is that a few have been screwing it up for the many since the '70's when a bunch of squatters were roaming the oceans looking for a free lunch from the hospitable locals. (pick your century on the '70's date).
Good sailing,

John
jkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 19:44   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"French Polynesia you will have to put up a bond with the local bank equivalent to a return air fare to your home country." MUCH of the world keeps out undesireables by requiring that they prove they can get rid of themselves, before they will be allowed in.
Try moving to Bermuda, or even buying property there, or getting a job there. Even if you are a US citizen, it won't quite happen that way. And it isn't just island nations with limited resources, if you want to move to Switzerland, the entire village has to vote you in before you can be granted citizenship.

For that matter, I'm pretty sure that cantx is wrong about entry to the US being free, as well. Sure, you can fly in, but you can't just land a boat here. There's this little thing called a cruising permit--and it ain't free. Or unlimited. You may also be required to be fingerprinted.

Different placces, different priorities. And those who live in "heaven" here or there, usually don't want penniless hordes thronging in and destroying the place. It just ain't 1950 any more. Even with shocking entry fees, places like the Galapagos run at full capacity year round. Wanna climb Mt. Everest? $50,000 US or $70,000 US per person, depending on which route you take in Nepal. Of course, you don't have to climb the Nepalese side, you can always appeal to the Chinese for a better deal. (Ha.)

Yup, Capitalism sure has trumped Communism. All over the world. Except maybe Cuba and Venezuala, great bargains if you want them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 20:17   #13

Boat: 1973 Ericson 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
<SNIP>

Yup, Capitalism sure has trumped Communism. All over the world. Except maybe Cuba and Venezuala, great bargains if you want them.
I've been told when you go to Cuba there is a 20% fee on converting USD to Cuban Pesos. Ouch.

Way things are going the US travel restrictions might be lifted by 2010 or 2011. *Fingers crossed*
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 21:45   #14

Boat: deboated
If you do not live in Sydney Australia and you require an entry visa to US. You have to fly/drive to Sydney for the day and spend a good part of the day being interviewed and if your reason for requiring the visa which maybe for sport/business/study etc is deemed good enough you may get one. From Brisbane that required a return airfare (1000kms) each way, transport to and from the airports + the cost of the Visa etc.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 22:39   #15

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
Quote:
We(the US) don't charge travellers to enter our country from the sea
Visa fee $131.
Must have a visa. No visa waiver when arriving on a pleasure boat.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fees