Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2021, 14:13   #1

Rod Rigging service in South East Asia?

Are there qualified riggers and parts available in Southeast Asia to provide full service care and replacement of Navtech rod rigging? Langkawi, PI, Singapore. Is a boat with rod rigging a major problem to service in SEA? Enough of a problem to pass on a nice C&C for instance? TY.
NCWDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 14:54   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Rod Rigging service in South East Asia?

Funny you should ask. I had a C&C landfall 42 for a number of years. It was rigged with rod rigging. I grew to have a profound dislike for it. For one thing, it is very smooth, and thus hard to grip, especially when wet...and you will be gripping the stays and shrouds a lot for any number of reasons. Trust me on this, it will feel like gripping a piece of tout string...
Because rod rigging is solid, it is generally a smaller diameter were it to be regular 1x19 wire, so being smooth is one thing. but smooth and small diameter just compounds the handling problem.
A regular 1 x19 wire can be fitted with a variety of end fittings. Rod rigging not so much. The end of the rod is formed into a ball of sorts and is held captive inside a special rod rigging fitting.

It is quite simple and easy to replace a wire shroud or stay....not so much rod rigging....that would require a rigger...or take it to a shop, but fixing it yourself.....nah, I don't think so.

I don't know why C&C elected to go with rod rigging. It's very rare to see this on any sailboat. Supposedly, it is less windage due to it's smaller diameter. This might be true, but the difference is likely negligible.

My Landfall was a nice boat in most other respects, but the rigging was a detraction.

Try it yourself, grab it....when wet....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 20:42   #3

Ty, I had not noticed that the Landfalls had rod rigging. Valid points but I am most interested in the maintence available in SE A.
Old 18-01-2021, 05:41   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

can't help you there.....I have no knowledge about SE A and their ability to fix/maintain rod rigging.

I just know that trying to fix this yourself offshore would be next to impossible.

something else to consider, rod rigging is relatively stiff, you can't roll it up like wire cable.....you could not....for instance....carry a spare rod on your boat...you'd have to replace it with wire cable in the event of an emergency..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 13:25   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Townson 36

We have a client in South East Asia who had rod rigging and couldn't find anyone to service the rig including re-heading the rods. He decided to swap out the rod for dyneema and is very happy with the result. Regards, Bill
Old 19-01-2021, 01:18   #6

Boat: Xc-45 2018

Hi Dave,
Why not contact X-yachts. I they have dealers in SE Asia, perhaps they can give you some advice. Good luck - br Colin
Colin Oslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 04:42   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCWDave View Post
Are there qualified riggers and parts available in Southeast Asia to provide full service care and replacement of Navtech rod rigging? Langkawi, PI, Singapore. Is a boat with rod rigging a major problem to service in SEA? Enough of a problem to pass on a nice C&C for instance? TY.
How old is the rod on the boat? If it is 10 years or older then you could consider replacing it prior to leaving. Of course at a fairly high cost. There are a number of insurance companies that don't cover standing rigging over 10 years old.

As far as rod rig support in SE Asia, you'd have to plan on shipping in whatever replacements you wanted. You aren't going to find rigging shops with rod heading equipment in the normal cruising areas. If you already have a relationship with a rigger who can makeup rod, then shipping into SE Asia is practical.

Rod has a number of advantages. Less weight up high, less windage and less stretch than wire. It isn't a number one pick for cruisers, but you do see it occasionally on long distance cruisers,
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 06:20   #8

Boat: Farr 43`

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCWDave View Post
Any rigging material is a problem to service in SEA

There are riggers in Singapore , Phuket , Hong Kong & Cebu.

If you are looking for a butler service expect to pay for it and be disappointed.

Nothing beats educated hands on local project management by the guy with the credit card.

When rod fails it is most likely at the ball end.
Dye testing (non destructive) will reveal any cracks forming.
The forestay and D1 are the most likely places a crack will form.

Cap shrouds, especially split shrouds are usually OK.
Next common point of failure is the cups the ball ends sit in.

If you want to pursue the purchase make the contract conditional on survey and rig report.
Specify dye testing in the contract.
Have the rigger confirm if there is enough adjustment in the turnbuckles to allow for re-ending. (do re-ending in pairs - port/starboard both ends.)

Replacing rod (assuming turnbuckles and chain plates OK) is about the same cost as re rigging in wire with new turnbuckles.

My rod is way over 10 years old and my insurer gets a mast out rig report every two years.

When I added a furler I replaced the 15 mt forestay with dyform.
The 15 mt rod with tuff luff attached rolls to a 1.2 mt coil.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 16:44   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Any rigging material is a problem to service in SEA

There are riggers in Singapore , Phuket , Hong Kong & Cebu.

If you are looking for a butler service expect to pay for it and be disappointed.

Nothing beats educated hands on local project management by the guy with the credit card.

When rod fails it is most likely at the ball end.
Dye testing (non destructive) will reveal any cracks forming.
The forestay and D1 are the most likely places a crack will form.

Cap shrouds, especially split shrouds are usually OK.
Next common point of failure is the cups the ball ends sit in.

If you want to pursue the purchase make the contract conditional on survey and rig report.
Specify dye testing in the contract.
Have the rigger confirm if there is enough adjustment in the turnbuckles to allow for re-ending. (do re-ending in pairs - port/starboard both ends.)

Replacing rod (assuming turnbuckles and chain plates OK) is about the same cost as re rigging in wire with new turnbuckles.

My rod is way over 10 years old and my insurer gets a mast out rig report every two years.

When I added a furler I replaced the 15 mt forestay with dyform.
The 15 mt rod with tuff luff attached rolls to a 1.2 mt coil.
When we had rod rigging our insurer first said they would not cover it as it was over 10 years old. Then after lots of emails they agreed to cover with a Navtec (I think level 3) rig inspection every two years by a Navtec certified rigger. Of course it was completely impractical to find to find a "Navtec certified" rigger while we were cruising.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2021, 20:39   #10

Some solid advice coming in, Thank you peeps very much.

Tags
Asia, rigging, service