Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2018, 05:50   #1

Boat: Caliber 47 LRC SE
Revillagigedo Islands

I was thinking of stopping at Isla Soccoro on passage from Sea of Cortez to Marquesas next spring before cyclone season. Anyone have any experience with this?
ngmayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 05:59   #2

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: Revillagigedo Islands

Adventure Adrift has a few videos of their trip to the islands. Here's one of the videos. It looks like an amazing place to visit.

Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 08:12   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

"Landfalls of Paradise: Cruising Guide to the Pacific Islands"
By Earl R. Hinz, Jim Howard

https://books.google.ca/books?id=CjI...horage&f=false

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 08:12   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

check with mexico because new laws mean it could require permit to anchor there ..is a preserve now.... laws passed last year. seems mexico is active in preservation of species that are disappearing.
conapesca should have info. they are the fishing license folks.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 14:36   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

When I was there with a charter dive boat out of Cabo, we were boarded by Mexican military, which was typical according to the company.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 09:31   #6

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngmayo View Post
I was thinking of stopping at Isla Soccoro on passage from Sea of Cortez to Marquesas next spring before cyclone season. Anyone have any experience with this?
We spent part of two seasons (5-6 weeks each) in the Revillagigdeo's a few years back and it was one of the top marine experiences we have had. The diving is one of the 10 best spots in the world. Everything is big under the water! The friendly mantas are unbelievable. You are NOT allowed ashore on either island.

Depending on where you stop(Socorro) there is a good chance you will be boarded by the Mexican Navy to inspect your permit. They really frown on vessels stopping without a permit. San Beneditico less chance of being boarded but could still happen

We wrote a short cruisers guide on Socorro and San Beneditico that is way out of date but you may find a couple useful tidbits to plan your trip.
Located - "Other Good Stuff' " Cruising Guide to Revillagigedo Islands"

Also we have written a number of passage notes on our stay out there
Passage Notes #29, #30, #31, #37, #38

Located: jacaranda-journey

Safe sailing and see you in French Polynesia!!

Chuck
Jacaranda
Tahiti
Old 14-10-2020, 13:39   #7

You should definitely go there. You'll see the friendliest Manta in the world. They come to have a massage from the diver's bubbles. It's also possible to free dive if you don't have scuba equipment.

Check this out!

https://nautilusliveaboards.com/socorro/#videogallery
GregJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 00:14   #8

curious of the details if you made the trip to Socorro??? Ship, time of year, time from mainland mexico, what the conditions were like, any other helpful info or suggestions....
p.c.s.salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 00:32   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, get a permit first.

Or have a genuine emergency. The navy were extremely kind to friends of ours with an illness emergency.

Ann
Old 05-02-2021, 04:11   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, p.c.s.salty.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:58   #11

Boat: Deerfoot, 62

I went there last year. Incredible islands. Dove with the giant mantas off the west of Socorro. Dove and saw a shelf of about 50 lobsters all lined up on the west side. If you are a diver, it is a great location. So is San Benedicto. If there is a breeze there, you have to judge if you want to leave hatches open. The volcano dust gets everywhere.

I had every expectation to do exactly what you want to do on my jump. However, it is no longer the CONANP and SEMARNAT permits. I was going to line up going again and have found new rules starting last month. You now have to pay $1500mx per crew member per day. This will make it cost prohibitive for me.
kchristofferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:26   #12
rbk

Boat: T37

Well if you can't get into the southern Revillagigedo Islands you can always try for the northern Revillagigedo Island...swimming optional lol
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 18:38   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchristofferson View Post
I went there last year. Incredible islands. Dove with the giant mantas off the west of Socorro. Dove and saw a shelf of about 50 lobsters all lined up on the west side. If you are a diver, it is a great location. So is San Benedicto. If there is a breeze there, you have to judge if you want to leave hatches open. The volcano dust gets everywhere.

I had every expectation to do exactly what you want to do on my jump. However, it is no longer the CONANP and SEMARNAT permits. I was going to line up going again and have found new rules starting last month. You now have to pay $1500mx per crew member per day. This will make it cost prohibitive for me.
Hi,
Would you please provide the name of the administration where a permit could be applied for. We were thinking of going too, but with such cost, we might only leave it to true emergency. Thanks
FredVeroMakani is offline   Reply With Quote