Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2011, 19:27   #1

Boat: Transpac 49
Returning to OZ

This is for my fellow Australians

The thread about 'Joes Arrest' got me thinking, and thus the reason to post a question.

I am returning to Australia after living in Europe for 15yrs, and am trying to find out if there any pitfalls to watch out for. I have travelled to OZ for business a number of times now, and I realise that MUCH has changed, especially to cost of living...wow!

My mid/long term goal is to liveaboard, and since I am going to go to Melbourne, I have seen that Marina possibilties are few and far between. It seems that I can get short term berths in Docklands or in Williamstown Marinas, but a swing mooring is looking less and less likely. Interestingly, Hastings does not have any space for the Ketch I am about to buy. Who wuldathunk?

But I guess one of the other questions is how do the Authorities here handle someone living aboard? I am not intending to get onto the treadmill of buying a house, and if I can avoid it, I will not be renting a place just to have an address. I am single, I do not have any family in MEL, they are in HBT or SYD, so I cannot 'live' there. I dont want to use the companies address for obvious reasons.

Are there any other fellow Aussies that are doing this currently that do not have a home address? How do you handle the usual bills, rego, etc?

Thanks for any input

Bloke
Old 19-10-2011, 19:39   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Returning to OZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieBloke View Post
This is for my fellow Australians

The thread about 'Joes Arrest' got me thinking, and thus the reason to post a question.

I am returning to Australia after living in Europe for 15yrs, and am trying to find out if there any pitfalls to watch out for. I have travelled to OZ for business a number of times now, and I realise that MUCH has changed, especially to cost of living...wow!

Bloke
You reckon the cost of living is high now! Just wait for the new improved costs post carbon tax !!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 19:59   #3

Hey Rob,

Don't get me started on that...for me Gillard/Labour Party just committed political suicide. It will bite them on the a$$ at the next election, if she doesn't get shafted first, like Rudd did.

Is that your Fisher 32 moored near Newport Anchorage?

Bloke

Anyway slight Off topic.
Old 19-10-2011, 20:11   #4

Boat: Traditional 30

Costs are subjective. If your on 2k a week.. no probs. If your on 500 a week, learn how to bake your own bread stat!.

Unless in QLD, none of the eastern states really seem to do anything to attract liveaboards. In NSW it basically frowned upon. With lovely restrictions on how long you can stay in one place. Not overly sure on vic, But have heard problematic stories in the past.

However, if you sail in via Christmas Island you will get free lodging in one tropical paradise or another (location to be confirmed) , education, financial relief, food and free legal representation.

Home address issues may be able to be sorted if you talk nicely to your marina Wink wink.

Cheers mate. welcome back
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 20:14   #5
Marine Service Provider

Can't remember his username but there was a chap on here that was bringing home a Gemini 35 from Asia to I think live aboard at Yaringa (near Hastings).

Maybe a call to the Marina might be in order.

Speaking of Westernport, saw a ripper of a grounding of about a 40 ft mono off French island a couple of weeks back when I was flying over. Missed out on getting a photo unfortunately. They were high and dry on a solid piece of ground that I didn't know was there. Didn't realise Westernport was such a hazard.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 20:20   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Need GPS for car...

You may care to consider buying one of the better GPS units for your car.

One of the big changes over the last few years has been that they are now absolutely ferocious on speeding. Only a few k's over the limit will get you a ticket. Expensive!

The better navigation GPS's will warn if you are going over the speed limit, should have an upgradeable data base of fixed speed/bus lane/etc. cameras. Do check if the unit you are considering give an audible warning of fixed speed cameras.

I find I have to override most of the choices for best route on mine, but it still provides some pleasant surprises from time to time.

It could be a good idea to get an up to date printed road map as well.

And if the local traffic, that was previously zooming their heads off, suddenly slow down it may be a good idea to do the same...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 20:28   #7

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Hey Rob,

Don't get me started on that...for me Gillard/Labour Party just committed political suicide. It will bite them on the a$$ at the next election, if she doesn't get shafted first, like Rudd did.

Bloke

Anyway slight Off topic.
Here's hoping the country isn't shafted first!
No my Fisher lives in Gawley Bay on the Georges river, although I did buy her from Pitwater and we do cruise back there occasionly.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 20:33   #8

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

There is a good mag called 'Cruising Helmsman' in Oz. I usually pick up a copy at the airports when I go there and, judging by the letters, there must be lots of liveaboard people around and you could find some info from it. Last month Docklands had lots of empty berths, but this may be due to high prices. I noticed lots of gin palaces and very few masts. Still, the steaks and the beer at The Woolhouse are a treat.
Old 19-10-2011, 20:58   #9

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Been five years since I was in Oz but there are a million cracks in the official situation for yacht living which you will discover when you return. Maintain a low profile and most things are possible. I have found living on board not impossible in most places - just have to look for the nooks and crannies. I can make suggestions which cover Melbourne to Sydney but will not post them here cos will not keep the low profile. PM me if you wish.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 22:36   #10

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post

However, if you sail in via Christmas Island you will get free lodging in one tropical paradise or another (location to be confirmed) , education, financial relief, food and free legal representation.

welcome back

Not to mention free and ahead of the pack medical and dental.

The Coastal passage mag is available free as PDF files http://www.thecoastalpassage.com.au/

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 22:55   #11

Boat: Catfisher 28

Quote:
Hey Rob,

Bloke

Anyway slight Off topic.
Yeah and there was a time not so long ago it was quite acceptable for factories etc to pollute the harbour and beaches etc with impunity.
Lets get back to these good old days also.
scubastu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 23:07   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulJack

I hope this is relevant,

I don't know much about sailing but having travelled around my own country as a backpacker I found that the West is really the Wild West in Australia. Much more relaxed about everything over there. The Eastern states can be quite harsh, very concerned with the rules and will give you a ticket for just about anything. Western Australia is a lot more old fashioned, you can talk your way out of most things.

Not quite as "happening" as Melbourne though!

Cheers,

Paul
PaulJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 23:34   #13

Boat: None
Send a message via Skype™ to pdbms

If you decide not to arrive a-la-boat-people, don't forget the +96 hr advanced notice for arrival, otherwise you may not be able to afford to live in Melbourne!!
Old 20-10-2011, 00:01   #14

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

The marinas that are full definately prefer not to have liveboaders. Why would they? The sailor who only visits his slip occasionally is alot easier for them. However I have noticed that at marinas that are not full, liveaboarding is not the same problem. I might be a cynic but I think the extra cash flow might sway their preferences a little.
If you want to live on the hook, just move around a little.

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 01:02   #15

Thanks for the replies so far.

I will not be sailing in to AUS, just arriving the normal way...with all the hordes at the Airport.

I actually do not particularly want to live in MEL, but that's where our regional office is. I prefer Pittwater, 'cause I have already sus'd out how to live there off the hook/mooring & it's warmer

Back on topic...last visit I had to ADL was a few weeks ago. I tried to get a drivers licence, but RTA over there, amongst other things wanted to see my name in a Tenancy Agreement as proof of residence. However I need this drivers licence as part of the proof of ID to get a Bank Account...so the circus has already started. Might have to go to Tassie first, become a Tenant of my brother, get a TAS drivers licence, open a Bank account, go to MEL, transfer the licence to be legally driving in VIC.

Oh yes, I presented my Swiss driving licence, and even though I have an 'International Drivers Licence' issued by the RTA in Switzerland and is written in 15 languages, they insisted that I have an 'official' translation, which is $60... Dude, I can do that myself for you

Man, if knew how much drama this was going to be, I would have kept all my official documents valid during the years away. Maybe someone here has a few other bright ideas? Maybe VIC is a little more lienient to 'foreigners'?

Bloke