Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2019, 06:02   #1

Rental of simple sailing yacht in the Phillipines November/December

Dear All,

I'll be in the Philippines in November/December this year, exploring the country and working on my laptop. To me the most fun way to do this would be by sailing between the Islands and living on a sailboat. I'm a 29 y/o IT professional from the Netherlands comfortable sailing small yachts.

I've searching the internet for a company that could rent me a simple yacht (8 to 10m (26 - 33ft) monohull) equipped to sail between the Islands. Whereas I've had no trouble arranging this in Greece and the UK, this seems to be a different story in the Philippines. The only bareboat charters I can find are incredibly expensive superyachts.

Does anyone have contact information or tips about a company or private person that would be willing to rent out a sailboat in the Phillipines? I'm also interested in an approximation of the fees involved.

Kind regards and thanks for your help!

Daan Smit
dbsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 22:13   #2

Boat: Roberts, C45 Spray - EDM
Re: Rental of simple sailing yacht in the Phillipines November/December

Daan,
This is my viewpoint - I live in the Philippines some of the year.

Yachts are very scarce - and mostly owned by foreigners. I do not think many (if any) are in the yacht hire business.... but you can hire a yacht for the day.

The current cost is 5,000 peso's for 8 hours ... But for long term... full day lets say 6,500 per day. $125 US.

But - no-one is going to trust you to bring the yacht back. So you would get at least 2 crew members. The countryside rate for them is 450 per person/peso/day .... So lets say for 500 they will stay onboard... That's another $20.

Fuel is cheap $1/liter.

When you leave Subic/Carmen/Puerto Galera where will you go ... island hopping ?? Possible. I assumed you are bringing your own up-to-date charts with you... because there will be none on-board.

As a foreigner you need to renew your visa every 30 days. That needs to be done in a major city.

And you want to work on the yacht using the internet - a nautical digital nomad - not a snowballs chance in hell. Totally impossible.

So for 2 months....

$125/day Yacht
$ 20/day Crew
$ 10/day Fuel
$ 10/day Food
$ 10/day Help/assistance

So for 2 months $10k.

Sorry if that does not help - but that's what I estimate the costs to be.

Regards
Tim
deepstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 11:55   #3

Re: Rental of simple sailing yacht in the Phillipines November/December

Hi I live in Davao 3-6 months a year, I dont know of any reasonable smaller boats available in the PI. I have looked as well. Internet in the PI is getting better, it may have improved to the point of competing with smoke signals in efficiency. In other words connection is pathetic. Macati, maybe a useful broadband connection. In the provinces very poor. I would estimate 20mps with ping times u will need to put a postage stamp on. Conventional bareboat and maby a lead for long term rental I would start looking in Langkawi and Phuket. Here are some PI sources; https://www.philippineyachtcharter.com/ Plz let us know what you find!!
NCWDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, yacht