Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2019, 17:51   #16

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Planning advice for Chile and Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Haha....Well that explains the food.....but what about the cold and wet?

I mean no disrespect, and I hope I'm am not being inappropriate.....but I really would like to read the reasons why you choose to cruise in what many would consider an inhospitable environment.

I'm thinking, maybe like Dockhead you just HATE being hot!.
Truth be told... the weather is abysmal... and I am only here because I am hiding out from creditors and ex-wives......

Just made all that up....in a hope that it will keep the punters away...

The good thing about Chile is that it is hard to get to... and that keeps out the riff-raff...

The weather isn't bad... not as bad as Labrador, North Dakota, England, and other places I could mention.

Yes the south is cool and the isolation would do many people's heads in... between Golfo de Penas and Williams.... however you are not in the ocean and are only day sailing most of the time... we came up from Williams to Montt last year ... 1400 miles .... without spending a single night at sea...

I must say we are about to embark on two 10 day/1200 mile legs up to Ecuador and storing for such short voyages is something of a challenge.. 'what do you mean we don't need a whole cow?'...

Yes the south is the 'last frontier'... which is good... I don't like crowds... the scenery is brilliant and there is enough of a challenge in the sailing to keep an old geezer like me amused...

Out of Montt I can go sailing any month of the year.. daysailing from anchorage to anchorage... a different anchorage every night for a month at a time..

The wine is brilliant ...

The South Pacific does nothing for me... bin there done that.... hot... crowded... cyclones...
And Australia? big sharks... crocodiles.... bar crossings....

Some photos taken today in Nielba and some taken at Easter - which is autumn down here - a few years ago just south of Montt... that group photo is in the cockpit of a Catalina 26(?)

And many thanks for the kind comments in some of the posts above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P9220256.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	200389   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9220251.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	200390  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1272.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	200391   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1298.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	200392  

Old 22-09-2019, 21:23   #17

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

As to why do it.... I haven't ever sailed there but I spent a few months in tierra del fuego and rio grande etc (south argentina), and went out on a variety of boats (also panned for gold ) The beagle and surrounds is spectacular, and sailing there longterm would be scary beautiful, something to treasure for sure.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 00:07   #18

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

Ping

does that mean im not considered "riff - rafF"

Deb- when are you back to the Falklands?

My favorite season in the deep south was deffenitly winter, clear skies, no wind, no people. September was good too, though windy ( I got winded in Caletta Ola as the same time as Ping and drank a bunch of his rum)

It is my understanding of the authorities in Ushuaia aren't as bad as Mar del Plata. The stories last year were hit or miss, mostly harassment about expired rafts and flares. It is very difficult to have that stuff serviced in chile. Make sure your good with photo shop an have a label maker......

I would argue that its getting crowded in the busy season. we were bashing around in March and several times the anchorages got full, and it can be a long way to the next anchored in certain places.

Tons of boats last year went south to north and did it in 1-3 months. IMO a waste as you can spend years not scratching the surface, ask Ping.

feel free to pm me with any questions.

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 01:07   #19

Boat: Volkscruiser

Ping how can you choose vegemite over marmite? I really thought you were a cool guy and I suppose you believe Aussies invented Pavlova as well?
I agree about Australia and the crocs ruining some of our best cruising grounds.
All those anchorages in Chile reminds me of Georgian bay on Lake Huron, there is so much to see there.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 05:20   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Ping how can you choose vegemite over marmite? I really thought you were a cool guy and I suppose you believe Aussies invented Pavlova as well?
I agree about Australia and the crocs ruining some of our best cruising grounds.
All those anchorages in Chile reminds me of Georgian bay on Lake Huron, there is so much to see there.
Cheers
Vegemite? Marmite? I'm easy either way....

I'm more concerned about the merits - or not - of Peruvian over Chilean pisco.

Had some passionfruit pisco sour up in Pica a few years back... that truly was sunshine in a bottle.....

They say the only reason you don't get great whites in Queensland is that the salties eat 'em..
Old 23-09-2019, 05:36   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
Ping

My favorite season in the deep south was deffenitly winter, clear skies, no wind, no people. September was good too, though windy ( I got winded in Caletta Ola as the same time as Ping and drank a bunch of his rum)

It is my understanding of the authorities in Ushuaia aren't as bad as Mar del Plata. The stories last year were hit or miss, mostly harassment about expired rafts and flares. It is very difficult to have that stuff serviced in chile. Make sure your good with photo shop an have a label maker......

I would argue that its getting crowded in the busy season. we were bashing around in March and several times the anchorages got full, and it can be a long way to the next anchored in certain places.

Tons of boats last year went south to north and did it in 1-3 months. IMO a waste as you can spend years not scratching the surface, ask Ping.

LD
G'day Baz,
I don't think you ever qualified as R/R.... tell 'em about your rib...

How were you treated in Williams when you arrived from Uruguay? That would have been after the new SAG regs were introduced in Jan 16.

Yes very sad re the boats that come in from the Atlantic in December , go north straight away and then depart Montt or Valdivia for the South Pacific in April.... complaining about the hard work to windward, the rain, the humidity, the condensation inside the boat... the cost of diesel in Puerto Eden, etc...

Often the same people who then try and sail the rhumb line to Isla Pascua/ Rapa Nui.

Moving right along... liferafts.

Back in 2008/2009ish you could get rafts tested in Ushuaia... rep would come down from BA once a year and do all the charter boats and anyone else who was interested. I used the parent company in BA in 2010... they were very good... proof of pudding was when resurveyed repacked in Auckland in 2015. Bit of a discussion with Auckland people... is only coastal... should be cat 1 High seas whatever...

Anyway they popped it open... it had all the NZ cat 1 kit in it .. seems RG coastal = NZ ocean...

About the only good thing I can say about BA/RGland
Old 23-09-2019, 09:10   #22

I dunno my boss may argue the riff-raff classification.

in my experience with SAG in Williams has been a form , nothing more.

Life rafts:

I had mine done in Punta Arenas, a very nice independent guy who will do them. Chilean and argentina certs are only good for 1 yesr. There is a Viking agent in Punta Arenas and supposedly hell do a 3 year on Viking rafts.

LD
Old 24-09-2019, 12:58   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Truth be told... the weather is abysmal... and I am only here because I am hiding out from creditors and ex-wives......

Just made all that up....in a hope that it will keep the punters away...

The good thing about Chile is that it is hard to get to... and that keeps out the riff-raff...

The weather isn't bad... not as bad as Labrador, North Dakota, England, and other places I could mention.

Yes the south is cool and the isolation would do many people's heads in... between Golfo de Penas and Williams.... however you are not in the ocean and are only day sailing most of the time... we came up from Williams to Montt last year ... 1400 miles .... without spending a single night at sea...

I must say we are about to embark on two 10 day/1200 mile legs up to Ecuador and storing for such short voyages is something of a challenge.. 'what do you mean we don't need a whole cow?'...

Yes the south is the 'last frontier'... which is good... I don't like crowds... the scenery is brilliant and there is enough of a challenge in the sailing to keep an old geezer like me amused...

Out of Montt I can go sailing any month of the year.. daysailing from anchorage to anchorage... a different anchorage every night for a month at a time..

The wine is brilliant ...

The South Pacific does nothing for me... bin there done that.... hot... crowded... cyclones...
And Australia? big sharks... crocodiles.... bar crossings....

Some photos taken today in Nielba and some taken at Easter - which is autumn down here - a few years ago just south of Montt... that group photo is in the cockpit of a Catalina 26(?)

And many thanks for the kind comments in some of the posts above.
Thank you for taking the time to write such detailed response Frank.....explains a lot.
Old 26-09-2019, 11:30   #24

Hello again,

thanks again for all your advices and hints! For the moment there are no open questions, life raft and so on will be good as we will service everything before leaving the Caribbean in February. Should anybody be in Puerto Montt around December 2020 (thats when hopefully show up) let me know and a beer or 2 will be on me!!!
Fliegerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:22   #25

Hello,

sorry another small question, which type of anchor do you prefer down there and wich bottom do we have to expect? As well which cruising guides can you recommend?

Thanks again :-)
Fliegerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 11:28   #26

I like my rocna, some people sweasr by the bruce down there.

remember your tied in a lotl

the Cape horn pilot ( italian book or Blue book ) is worth the investment.

The RCC book for cape horn is fluff, the new RCC book for northern cile is oK
Old 01-10-2019, 12:03   #27

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
Ping

LD
We'll be back in just over 2 weeks. We are trying to get work permits to work on one of the farms on West Falkland. Not sure it will pan out. Either way we'll be around Stanley probably most of November. Hope to see you there. Are you still heading East?
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:04   #28

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Thanks Ping for all the great information! We hope to cross paths with you at some point.
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:51   #29

My wife and I spend nearly three years in South America on our 39ft. catamaran, sailing south and returning north, both on the Atlantic side of the continent. This was some time ago, 2002 through 2004. On the way south we spent several months in Brazil from Cabedelo to Rio Grande de Sur, then a few weeks in Uruguay and on to Buenos Aires where we spent a couple months and left the boat in San Fernando for another couple months before returning. At that time the Argentine regulations were no worse than Brazil or Chile, though Chile was more strict about Clearance and Zarpe regulations and papers. At that time there were several areas in Argentina and Chile that were forbidden for sailing through by foreign yachts. At one time when filling out a zarpe for the Chilean Navy I had mistakenly put down an anchorage that was not permitted by the Chileans.

"If I was in your country, I couldn't just go anywhere I pleased," said the Chilean Navy person in front of me by way of justification for the restriction.
"Yes, you could," I replied and they had nothing else to say.

From Buenos Aires we went to Mar de Plata and on south to Puerto Williams, Chile, even though our papers said our first port would be Ushuaia, Argentina. No problem with Chilean officials. We spent nearly a year along the Beagle Channel, from mid-December, 2002, to early November, 2003, changing back and forth from Argentina to Chile, including rounding Cape Horn. Paper work could be demanding, but not too odious from the standpoint that it is their country and they can demand whatever they want and we loved both countries for the people and wild and stark scenery. Argentines are more laid back and friendly and Chileans are curious and helpful, at least that is my summary in a few words.
From Puerto Williams, Chile, we sailed to the Falkland Islands and spent about five weeks there before heading north to Mar del Plata, Argentina.
I found the Falkland Islands more demanding for wind and sailing and finding protected anchorages than the Beagle Channel.

One strange story about Argentine officials:
We had clearance papers from Puerto Williams, Chile, for the Falkland Islands, as well as from the Falkland Islands to Argentina when we arrive at Mar del Plata, Argentina.

The Argentines still claim the Falkland Islands even after being rebuffed by the British during the 1982 conflict (The Falkland Islanders say it was not a war, as war was never declared, but an armed conflict).
What we call the Falkland Islands is called the Malvinas Islands by the Argentines.
On arrival at Mar del Plata we showed our Falkland Island clearance papers to Mar del Plata to the officials. The officials looked at them and made a face and asked for our clearance from Puerto Williams, Chile, to the Falklands. I handed them over as I had been warned that this might happen. We were told to return the following day and left the office without any formal clearance.
The following day we were shown into a room with several officials and were told our clearance into Argentina would be back dated to the date we entered the Falkland Islands, about a month earlier. All forms for clearance into Argentina, including visa and passport stamps, were back dated to then and we were free to go. Though this shortened our time on our visa in Argentina, we were headed to Punta del Este, Uruguay, for a haul out, so it mattered little to us.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:25   #30

Marmite Rules
kurtis king is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Argentina, Chile