Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2017, 05:45   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Piracy Report Philippines

My request is that this thread be left as a factual link for those sailing these waters and NOT become another thread closed by the Mods for political rants....
Thanks!
One Killed, 7 Abducted in Pirate Attack in Southern Philippines – gCaptain

http://gcaptain.com/armed-pirates-at...killing-eight/

http://gcaptain.com/gunmen-seize-six...r-philippines/
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 01:48   #2
CF Adviser

Re: Piracy Report Philippines

It was a shame that the kidnapped Jurgen thread had to be closed because of childish stupid posturing causing others to take the bait.

Jurgen's fate is in all the local Filipino news channels tonight.

A number of independent reports are saying he was murdered, but not considered official until the body is recovered.

Factually there are presently 27 kidnapped victims being held in Basilan Island by what is estimated to be about 500 Abu Sayyaf.
Old 27-02-2017, 06:04   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
It was a shame that the kidnapped Jurgen thread had to be closed because of childish stupid posturing causing others to take the bait.

Jurgen's fate is in all the local Filipino news channels tonight.

A number of independent reports are saying he was murdered, but not considered official until the body is recovered.

Factually there are presently 27 kidnapped victims being held in Basilan Island by what is estimated to be about 500 Abu Sayyaf.
It's over. See Video shows beheading of sailor by ISIS-linked terrorists | Fox News
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 13:22   #4

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...roup/21722886/

Very sad news indeed.
Old 27-02-2017, 17:44   #5

Boat: Tartan 40

Really sad. I can't believe he's the same guy who with his partner was held by somali pirates in 2008 for 2 months. His partner I think was shot and killed when he was abducted from his boat.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 19:59   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

This is a cruising forum. There are dangers when cruising. Many dangers are life threatening.

These range from, reefs, being injured by equipment, failures of the vessel, failure to prepare, storms, things that live in the sea, floating debris, and fellow man.

Relatively recently a different vessel also set out from Kudat Malaysia and entered Filipino waters. They also flirted with this last danger and were greatly offended when being admonished for being seen as fool hardy. Strangely to me, despite all the available information they were blithely unaware that they were in a location which many of us considered a no go zone. They reminded me of tourists that pulled off the highway and drove into the inner city because they were simply naive to the dangers that we see as very real.

What I see here is a conflicted community.

On the one hand, we are quick to congratulate sailors that take risks and push the envelope. It is this type of sailor that encourages risk taking.

Particular praise is bestowed upon those that profess the belief that their fellow man is inherently good.

On the other hand, we are quick to criticize when an encounter goes bad. We are especially critical of those that repeat errors made by others sailors and what we view as "common sense".

Another recent tragedy here in the Philippines was the vessel that set out from Hong Kong for Manila. The captain, despite being experienced, blithely ignored the brewing typhoon that was very clear to less experienced sailors.

Is it being too pedantic to want other cruisers to enjoy a safe cruise?

Or,

Because we want others to have a safe trip, do we keep pushing the bar so high that no trips are possible. What comes to mind is the endless number of "must haves" on a check list prior to departure.

It is my opinion that it is not being pedantic to simply ask cruisers to sail their vessels when typhoons are not developing and in locations which are not full of hazards. It is as basic as making sure the vessel is sound, crew capable, and food aboard.

There will always be those that ignore perils that are so obvious to others.

They will sail among icebergs in a fiberglass vessel.

They will set out in tiny open vessels to set a record.

The one thing I wish to impress upon everyone is that each and every disaster is a possible learning experience. Learning that can be imparted to others that helps make cruising safer for all.

Therefore, the worst thing we can do is to bury an incident such as this so that others cannot learn from it.

This was a cruising disaster that was avoidable.

We would stand guilty of the next similar one unless we have the fortitude to discuss this topic to ensure others do not make similar mistakes.

However, this must be done on a sound basis without general sweeping conclusions that so many here make. For example I read, and see visible evidence that many in the sailing community have classified the entire Philippines as a "no go zone". This is particularly disturbing to those that have fallen in love with the area who know that the great majority of the Philippines is far safer than most American and European locations. Locations.... and .... are not safer locations simply because they don't have this same hazard. They have other hazards that are far greater.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 20:19   #7
CF Adviser

No disrespect, but can we just report facts on any updates of Piracy in the Philippines and leave the Editorializing to other threads that the Mods can close down.

My hope is that unaware cruisers can use this as a resource
Thanks!
Old 02-03-2017, 02:36   #8
CF Adviser

As another alert to cruisers who are not aware
The China Sea is becoming a hotkey contested area between different countries, with the Superpowers playing a tactical game.

Just wish all those naval assetts would focus on the piracy issue.

http://gcaptain.com/is-beijing-outfl...Captain.com%29
Old 02-03-2017, 03:28   #9

FACT- piracy is specifically acts of crime committed on the high seas. If crimes occur within the territorial waters of a nation state, be they terrorist acts or otherwise,than they are simply crimes, NOT acts of piracy!

Sticking to the facts requires correct descriptive language not careless use of misleading terms.

If crimes occur in the Phillipines, then the Phillipine government is responsible for their policing and prosecution. Misrepresenting these crimes as something they are not does no justice to the victims or their families.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:38   #10
CF Adviser

Interesting correction Delaney.

The Singapore Piracy Report does not seen to distinguish between coastal or international waters when listing the attacks as these vessels, especially in Asian waters are transient and being attacked thru both.

Yet what you say rings true!

Philippines have also asked China to help patrol and fight these "coastal pirates" so your definition has me a bit confused over modern day interpretation.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:16   #11

Not familiar witb the SPP you refer to. Just about any source for a definition you prefer will describe piracy as occurring on the high seas. That is what it is.

Anybody who would seek to bend this truth probably has a motive, like not wanting to own up to their responsibility

If you are tied up to a dock at a marina and get kidnapped, it ain't piracy. If the government doesn't do anything about it, then it's no different than them not doing anything about illegal drugs, human trafficking, poaching, or pollution.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:25   #12
CF Adviser

Yes, I agree, the kidnappings at that yacht marina is not piracy but local crime.

However, coastal attacks on vessels underway or at anchor from other boats, seemed to be loosely called piracy by most reporting agencies
Old 02-03-2017, 06:15   #13

Why split hairs arguing what is or is not piracy? How about simply calling all acts/threats of aggression and/or bodily harm against cruisers/sailors either underway or in port - "attacks". This way those contemplating travel to certain areas will be better served by being given the number/frequency of such attacks, severity, etc. I don't think parceling out legal definitions helps but rather obscures this quest for information.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:03   #14
CF Adviser

I agree Island time.
Living in the Philippines I watch the crime rates and it seems that the big cities are under better control, but unfortunately the provinces are getting worse.

http://www.philstar.com/metro/2015/0...-46?nomobile=1

Inflation is creeping up so I expect that will create even more discontent.

I found it interesting in this article that 'kidnapping' is NOT considered an Index Crime.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:32   #15

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
FACT- piracy is specifically acts of crime committed on the high seas. If crimes occur within the territorial waters of a nation state, be they terrorist acts or otherwise,than they are simply crimes, NOT acts of piracy!...
Is not a Rose by any other name yet a Rose?

Or, to quote HRC: "At this point what difference does it make?"
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Philippines, piracy