Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2011, 06:26   #16

Boat: Irwin 43
Re: Physical Security in Mexico - How Safe Is it ?

Cruise lines cut their routes because of a lack of customers. There is a lack of customers because of the fears associated with traveling in Mexico........the fear is baseless and unfounded.

I am always in amazement of the people on this forum that sit in their home port because the world is dangerous. They seem to have a lot of time on their hands to write about how afraid they are...........it is sort of a sickness.

A good way to find out about the real situation is go to SailBlogs and read the daily activities of those that are cruising in Mexico.
TugTubPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-06-2011, 07:51   #17

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

You're so right. Don't know why the cruise line says it is because of safety and security concerns. My sickness is what had me sleeping on the floor one night when the military base next to the house I have there was attacked and there was a constant din of gunfire and bullets flying everywhere. Tell it to the families of the 170 Americans killed down there last year or the 14 that were injured in Acapulco when a popular tourist bar was firebombed. I don't guess you've read that 44,000 people have been killed down there. More than in Iraq and Afghanistan combined in the same time period. Sounds safe to me, so I concede. No more from me on this thread. I have a sickness.
Old 21-06-2011, 08:00   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

you worrywarts slay me- i am inmexico-- the only thing of violence was me with my louisville slugger keeping off bandidos who wanted my outboard engine. LOL
there is safety here-- the tourist industry has taken a helluva hit and the port captains need business. if there is any kind of disturbance involving folks who spend money in mexico it is deal twith in ways you may find archaic but work-- public humiliation is a great way to [prevent crime..LOL>..
the folks of mexico are some of the friendliest folks i have ever encountered..
do no t fail to travel mexico because some yellow journalistic bs is being hyped above the reality of this place. if you are NOT involved with drugs or smuggling you are safe. get real--- go sailing , dont just sit at a puter and make judgements on info that IS false.
smooth sailing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 21-06-2011, 08:05   #19

Boat: Irwin 43

Part of the sickness is not being able to separate statistical aberrations from reality. Certainly there is a drug problem in Mexico and if you plan to travel to Mexico to participate in the drug industry you are at risk. The other numbers you quote are statistical.........

Based on your "logic", I guess everyone should move out of Arizona because crazed people shoot politicians and other bystanders at shopping malls. We should not send our children to universities because of the dangers of random killings at U.S. Universities. And stay away from Vancouver, real problems there with crazed dangerous rioters. And the baseball stadiums are absolutely off limits.......random beatings there.....and on and on.
TugTubPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-06-2011, 20:30   #20

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I can't wait to be in Mexico! It's been 3 years and that's too long. I want to get my teeth fixed cheap & good and I want to eat cheap & good.
My son's a dwarf, my wife is disabled and I'm a pretty big guy, we don't have any troubles in Mexico. The tough guys want to find a weaker target than me and everybody else there is so incredibly nice to disabled people, much nicer than those in the US. I can't wait. I can't wait.
Old 27-06-2011, 21:26   #21

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

You won't sail your boat downwind?
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 27-06-2011, 22:11   #22

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageray View Post
You're so right. Don't know why the cruise line says it is because of safety and security concerns. My sickness is what had me sleeping on the floor one night when the military base next to the house I have there was attacked and there was a constant din of gunfire and bullets flying everywhere. Tell it to the families of the 170 Americans killed down there last year or the 14 that were injured in Acapulco when a popular tourist bar was firebombed. I don't guess you've read that 44,000 people have been killed down there. More than in Iraq and Afghanistan combined in the same time period. Sounds safe to me, so I concede. No more from me on this thread. I have a sickness.
That is very intense.

You should be aware that the prevailing attitude here, Lat 38, etc. has been that the US media has exaggerated and sensationalized the drug violence in Mexico, which has scared off the tourist. And indeed, that is true. The assumption, of course, is that it is an internal and criminal matter that does not effect the tourist and marina areas. Acapulco last year?, sort of violated that basic assumption.

Where is/was your house that was next to the attack if you care to share. I have been struck with the tension in Mexican society and have a feeling that the military will end up in charge in the foreseeable future, but have only spent a few months recently, so am not confident in that impression. Baja California Sur seems to be rather disconnected from the mainland doings and conflict as far as I can see.

From San Carlos/Guaymas down to La Paz, I found conditions fine and even charming at times. La Paz especially, with the marina abundance and presence of the Club Cruzeiros to be very simpatico.

But then, awareness is the main tactical expectation in exploration isn't it? Which seems to put being surprised, pleasantly, as one of the succulent fruits of cruising, and travel away from the first world in general.
Old 27-06-2011, 22:42   #23

Boat: C&C Mega 30

Cut the guy a little slack, and if you're gonna tell him it's all rosy and safe where you are, why don't you explain where EXACTLY that is???

I grew up in the US, Alaska specifically, and can almost immediately recognize a bad neighborhood or when people are looking at me like I shouldn't be there. I've been in most of the major US cities, and occasionally been lost and turned around to get the hell out of areas before (and on at least one occasion started following the first police car I could find when I was really lost)

When there are reports of shooting across town, I can read the specifics in the news and am keenly aware of how the situations developed and have a general idea of what types of people were involved and how to easily identify them (and in my current neighborhood, they're mostly meth heads, skinny with really bad skin and teeth).

When you read the news about Mexico, you'd be absolutely stupid not to realize that there is some very extreme violence taking place. Dozens of people being murdered during attacks at teenagers birthday parties is not an isolated incident.

This may well be taking place hundreds of miles from where you are, and doesn't concern you, but being blissfully ignorant and labeling anyone attempting to figure out what areas to avoid and situations to be concerned about is just chicken little is either extreme arrogance or naivete.
wannago is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-06-2011, 13:24   #24

i am IN mazatlan.there is NO problem here. period. is a beqautiful lil place. cheap food, good to retired to expired oled racers lol.. so sww914 you will be ok..LOL... friendly folks here. however, IFF you are involved with anyhting cartelesque, you are not safe..LOL...but if you have nothing to do with cartels and drugs and smuggling of humans, you are totally fine.
Old 28-06-2011, 14:55   #25

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I was in El Paso and Juarez two separate occasions one when shooters entered the police station and opened fire, the other time gunmen went to a house where a party for school children was taking place and opened fire and killed, wounded several, that time it was a case of "Mistaken identity" due to the vehicle someone was driving.
All I am saying is there are a few safe places in Mexico, such as Cancun, Cozumel and several other tourist locations. But there are also several locations where you are not safe whether you associate with the criminal element or not. Sure there are dangerous places in America, But I would feel a hell of allot safer there then back in Juarez etc.....
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-06-2011, 15:18   #26

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

anyone who sails to el paso or juarez when heading for the Sea of Cortez is a little bit lost. Maybe they should find a police boat to follow ...
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-06-2011, 15:22   #27

juarez is a bad border town, border towns are centers for smuggling. smuggling is run by cartels. cartels make wars. go into mexico to make a judgement. juarez is one of the most dangerous places in western hemisphere. mexico is not the border cities mexico is nice. the people in real mexico are decent folks. do not do business or visit in border towns..LOL... juarez, tijuana, tecate, mexicali--all border towns.lol.... go to the decent places away from the border and really see mexico. same with baja.
i cant believe folks actually think they have seen mexico when all they do is go to border towns. isnt mexico. sorry--is fact.
Old 28-06-2011, 15:41   #28

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I tend to feel the same way as Zeehag... my experience, while a little dated (about 5 years) has been that both sides of the Sea of Cortez down to PV and Manzanillo are relatively safe in the tourist part of town.
Years of delivering boats both to and from Mexico, I have never felt insecure or feared for my life except once.
I recall a few years ago in Ensenada, which by American standards was pretty secure, trying to find a gym for a workout. I was directed to one in the south of town way outside the tourist area. Walking through the door was like being dropped into South Central LA complete with gangbangers and prison 'Tats'! I beat a fast retreat to my car and got out of there quick.
But generally speaking, the problem areas are the border towns and larger cities inland where the cartels are battling for control.
The indigenous Mexican people are polite, charming and friendly and very family oriented in my experience and my heart goes out to those who are caught up in the violence. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-06-2011, 19:53   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
juarez is a bad border town, border towns are centers for smuggling. smuggling is run by cartels. cartels make wars. go into mexico to make a judgement. juarez is one of the most dangerous places in western hemisphere. mexico is not the border cities mexico is nice. the people in real mexico are decent folks. do not do business or visit in border towns..LOL... juarez, tijuana, tecate, mexicali--all border towns.lol.... go to the decent places away from the border and really see mexico. same with baja.
i cant believe folks actually think they have seen mexico when all they do is go to border towns. isnt mexico. sorry--is fact.

Plus one to this post!
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 28-06-2011, 20:02   #30

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I lived in mexico city for several years when i was young. we regarded border towns as real pits - both sides of the border in most cases.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
Mexico, security, mexico