Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2016, 15:04   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Philippines President Duterte Tells Foreign Business They Can Leave

He's a man of the street and speaks as such..
Another thing to remember is 'Puta de Madre' can be taken many ways..
I nearly gave a 19yr old a kicking on Fuengirola beach when he brought his hired jet bike in many years ago.. as I caught him and swung the bike round before it hit the beach he yelled 'Puta de Madre'..
I grabbed him by the scruff and dragged him off as he hastily explained he meant the jet bike was a **** hot ride.
It depends on the translator.. look for offense and its there..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 15:14   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Philippines President Duterte Tells Foreign Business They Can Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
He's a man of the street and speaks as such..
Another thing to remember is 'Puta de Madre' can be taken many ways..
I nearly gave a 19yr old a kicking on Fuengirola beach when he brought his hired jet bike in many years ago.. as I caught him and swung the bike round before it hit the beach he yelled 'Puta de Madre'..
I grabbed him by the scruff and dragged him off as he hastily explained he meant the jet bike was a **** hot ride.
It depends on the translator.. look for offense and its there..
My Spanish is bad but even I can translate that. It wasn't learned in class.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 16:41   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschmidt View Post
Ironically more that one million Philippine civilians died at the hands of the Japanese during WWII. My father, an officer in the 38th Inf. Div., help secure the Bataan Peninsula in 1945. The election of this loose-cannon president only show the frustration of the people with their system.
With the last part of your statement is how the rest of the world thinks of the US at the moment.

WOW!
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 16:57   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
The "State of the Planet" is very well known to all of us. The points made in this thread have nothing whatsoever to do with cruising. "The media" of your choice are keeping us entirely abreast of what is going on in the world.

TrentePieds
To me your wrong, I like to hear what fellow cruisers have to say. maybe someone will add that is cruising there at the moment, I know two cruising couples that have changed their route by dropping the PI's to visit.

Cheers.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 17:33   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpendoley View Post
And your assessment of the state of the media has what to do with cruising? Sounds like an extension of your political views
a description of the entire thread.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 18:36   #36

IMO it's between naive and plain stupid not to discuss politics on the WORLD CRUISING forum lest you get blindsided by not being able to distinguish between friend and foe when travelling. It's all good to be kubmaya about world's state of affairs but sometimes one needs to come down to the reality of world happenings and face it as one must.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 19:07   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
IMO it's between naive and plain stupid not to discuss politics on the WORLD CRUISING forum lest you get blindsided by not being able to distinguish between friend and foe when travelling. It's all good to be kubmaya about world's state of affairs but sometimes one needs to come down to the reality of world happenings and face it as one must.
If you don't know by now where you are safe and where your not, how is reading third party politics here going to help?
Kubmaya indeed!
Old 27-10-2016, 19:10   #38

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

I normally don't sound off on these things, but I have to make a comment here as I don't see anyone else offering this particular insight.

While attending college (I know, but hear me out!) I commented in an assignment about how things overseas that I had experienced (in the Med, the major NATO countries, and in the Middle East) often are presented a certain way in the US, and that Americans got their understanding either by whatever they learned on television, in books written long before current events (but framed in the eyes of their authors, whoever they may have been), or by personally visiting said locale then passing that experience down to others when they returned to the US.

There are as many points of view about any given event in any given location as there are people on the planet to consider that event. Some make decisions based on imperfect information, but nobody ever has all the answers about any event because we as humans attempt to interpret things based in our own internal biases, I believe as a means of survival. For instance, if you see a 900 pound tiger, you don't normally have a first thought of "hey, I am gonna go pet that kitty!" You consider what you know about tigers, and PROFILE that animal as a predator, one that can easily kill and eat you, and that probably would given an opportunity to do so. It is just survival and it has worked for all gene pools (human or otherwise) currently in existence.

The problem is that a ship or boat gives us each ability to move around and interact directly with the masses in each of these distant locations, as well as within our own countries to an extent, but even then we are limited in our viewpoints because we only interact directly with people within our own cultures or those within cultures near our ports of call, and each of these sources are biased as well based upon their own exposures to new information and how that information is processed within their own cultures.

I agree with several posters who note that we have to have an understanding, or at least awareness, that all locations that can be reached by water have environments that potentially could change from one month or even day to the next, and to ignore those changes could be a lethal (at the extreme end) encounter for us when we arrive or even pass nearby enough to be taken by faster vessels or even destroyed by aircraft or other modern weapons, simply because we are there, regardless of what we are doing or why we elected to take a given route. Simply being there may be enough to get us boarded, seized, sunk, jailed, and worse.

Keep this thread and those like it going, my friends, because we need to communicate and understand which ports and areas are friendly and which bear the hand of ISIS or other groups who would just love to toss some "wealthy tourists" into a cell then behead them on the Internet. We need to know, we need to plan, and we need to be aware and wary.

Most of all, we need to keep one another informed of our experiences and what we hear from reliable sources because our very lives actually do depend upon this communication effort, and the media (the American media, at least) and those infected with political correctness are not very willing to call a tiger more than a larger than average cat because they don't want to engage in profiling.

SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 19:14   #39

In fact, I request a moderator look at this thread, read its contant. It sure looks like political ramblings and whining to me. Along with all the usual crappy criticism of the U.S.
Old 27-10-2016, 19:15   #40

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
To me your wrong, I like to hear what fellow cruisers have to say. maybe someone will add that is cruising there at the moment, I know two cruising couples that have changed their route by dropping the PI's to visit.

Cheers.
I'm currently spending half my time in the Philippines and I have a reasonable feel for the atmosphere before and after the recent election of Duterte. I will side-step the drug campaign thing, except to say that there's a concern that it will open up a wider acceptance of vigilante justice.

In general, there's a sense that officials are taking a new pride in their work, perhaps hoping to be better rewarded for doing a professional job and knowing that being accused of corruption is now a more serious matter. Police enforcement of illegal parking on roads, illegal bike riding without helmets and documents, etc, etc is obvious. Small stuff but there's a feeling that local mayors are wanting to show loyalty to Duterte by cleaning up their cities in the way that Duterte (apparently) cleaned up Davao. This is good for visitors and sailors. You can have greater confidence that a request for a bribe of any sort can be challenged.

It looks as though there will be massive Chinese investment in infrastructure which will obviously benefit the economy. Hopefully they will construct a few genuine typhoon shelters for fishing and pleasure vessels too. There will also be a massive influx of Chinese tourists, for better or worse.

It's still a honeymoon period for Duterte. It remains to be seen how he will respond to LOCAL opposition, because currently he still has 90% popularity. It will be a while before that starts to drift downwards and we see whether or not "emergency powers" are abused. It's also still too soon to judge the long term impact of Chinese investment and associated influence.

In conclusion, take a look at the attached photo. Is this a proud man accidentally behaving like a puppy? Or a pragmatic politician doing what's best for the people? I honestly don't know..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	duterte in china.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	134082  
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 19:21   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
If you don't know by now where you are safe and where your not, how is reading third party politics here going to help?
Kubmaya indeed!
Well actually it is not that simple. I was in Venezuela (not via sailing) a bunch of times (over a dozen) before and during Chavez. And was there even in 1992 the week of his abortive coup attempt. My personal experiences were quite different from the State Dept warnings. Long term I can understand the locals turning to anti-American sentiment, from very pro-American one during the 80s and 90s, considering how US has thwarted their aspirations (rightly or wrongly). As a country we (the US) somehow during my lifetime have shown the tendency and propensity to turn friends and admirers into enemies. Wish I had a cure for this but I don't. But discussing it on forums like this one may someday change the tide to a better (for us) direction.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 19:35   #42

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

Lady's and gentleman, I really think ol peeves was taking a shot at me. We agreed to disagree on a word I used " gash " last week. I was wrong in my choice of words, but ol peeps didn't like me telling him to pound sand. Again poor taste.

Trente, this is my formal apology to you. You were right, and I'm not one to be pushed. Takes me a day or to to admit it sometimes.

So please except my apology, and let's go have a beer, someday and learn about how it all works.

Peace.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 19:38   #43

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post
I'm currently spending half my time in the Philippines and I have a reasonable feel for the atmosphere before and after the recent election of Duterte. I will side-step the drug campaign thing, except to say that there's a concern that it will open up a wider acceptance of vigilante justice.

In general, there's a sense that officials are taking a new pride in their work, perhaps hoping to be better rewarded for doing a professional job and knowing that being accused of corruption is now a more serious matter. Police enforcement of illegal parking on roads, illegal bike riding without helmets and documents, etc, etc is obvious. Small stuff but there's a feeling that local mayors are wanting to show loyalty to Duterte by cleaning up their cities in the way that Duterte (apparently) cleaned up Davao. This is good for visitors and sailors. You can have greater confidence that a request for a bribe of any sort can be challenged.

It looks as though there will be massive Chinese investment in infrastructure which will obviously benefit the economy. Hopefully they will construct a few genuine typhoon shelters for fishing and pleasure vessels too. There will also be a massive influx of Chinese tourists, for better or worse.

It's still a honeymoon period for Duterte. It remains to be seen how he will respond to LOCAL opposition, because currently he still has 90% popularity. It will be a while before that starts to drift downwards and we see whether or not "emergency powers" are abused. It's also still too soon to judge the long term impact of Chinese investment and associated influence.

In conclusion, take a look at the attached photo. Is this a proud man accidentally behaving like a puppy? Or a pragmatic politician doing what's best for the people? I honestly don't know..
This is the sort of information I am talking about. Handy for those who may want to consider visiting this area during a time of obvious uncertainty.
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 19:53   #44

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

The devil is in the detail. Always.
Old 27-10-2016, 22:19   #45

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post
I normally don't sound off on these things, but I have to make a comment here as I don't see anyone else offering this particular insight.

While attending college (I know, but hear me out!) I commented in an assignment about how things overseas that I had experienced (in the Med, the major NATO countries, and in the Middle East) often are presented a certain way in the US, and that Americans got their understanding either by whatever they learned on television, in books written long before current events (but framed in the eyes of their authors, whoever they may have been), or by personally visiting said locale then passing that experience down to others when they returned to the US.

There are as many points of view about any given event in any given location as there are people on the planet to consider that event. Some make decisions based on imperfect information, but nobody ever has all the answers about any event because we as humans attempt to interpret things based in our own internal biases, I believe as a means of survival. For instance, if you see a 900 pound tiger, you don't normally have a first thought of "hey, I am gonna go pet that kitty!" You consider what you know about tigers, and PROFILE that animal as a predator, one that can easily kill and eat you, and that probably would given an opportunity to do so. It is just survival and it has worked for all gene pools (human or otherwise) currently in existence.

The problem is that a ship or boat gives us each ability to move around and interact directly with the masses in each of these distant locations, as well as within our own countries to an extent, but even then we are limited in our viewpoints because we only interact directly with people within our own cultures or those within cultures near our ports of call, and each of these sources are biased as well based upon their own exposures to new information and how that information is processed within their own cultures.

I agree with several posters who note that we have to have an understanding, or at least awareness, that all locations that can be reached by water have environments that potentially could change from one month or even day to the next, and to ignore those changes could be a lethal (at the extreme end) encounter for us when we arrive or even pass nearby enough to be taken by faster vessels or even destroyed by aircraft or other modern weapons, simply because we are there, regardless of what we are doing or why we elected to take a given route. Simply being there may be enough to get us boarded, seized, sunk, jailed, and worse.

Keep this thread and those like it going, my friends, because we need to communicate and understand which ports and areas are friendly and which bear the hand of ISIS or other groups who would just love to toss some "wealthy tourists" into a cell then behead them on the Internet. We need to know, we need to plan, and we need to be aware and wary.

Most of all, we need to keep one another informed of our experiences and what we hear from reliable sources because our very lives actually do depend upon this communication effort, and the media (the American media, at least) and those infected with political correctness are not very willing to call a tiger more than a larger than average cat because they don't want to engage in profiling.

Great post. Excellent.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Philippines