Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2018, 05:29   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Panama N to Cabo

Considering sailing from Panama N to San Carlos Mexico.

Would depart Panama mid April and look to get to San Carlos for hardstand prior to much hurricane risk.

Is 2-3 months a reasonable time frame to make sure decent cruise of this. Doing long 70 mile days and the occasional overnight/ 2night when the weather is good.

Seemingly predominantly upwind, but understand the wind is often pretty light in this area and no doubt shift around a bit based on weather patterns?

Anyone done a similar route the last few years?

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 23-12-2018, 04:48   #2

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: Panama N to Cabo

We're considering a trip from Panama to the Cabo area leaving in January. We still haven't decided between harbor hopping up the coast of Panama and possibly Costa Rica or sailing offshore to Mexico. We'll head across to Hawaii before hurricane season.

Cheers,
Old 23-12-2018, 14:51   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Sounds good. I think going via Galapagos islands generally preferred route to Hawaii. Have talked with folks that departed Puerto Vallarta area for Hawaii.
Old 13-02-2019, 20:54   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Note that you will be traveling west north west. The prevailing wind as far north as Acapulco is north to north east and tends to be light. I’ve sailed most of the route and there are some beautiful areas along the way. I think you are smart working your way to Cabo before crossing to Hawaii. Although Cornell recommends a straight shot from Panama, a great circle route takes you near Cabo anyway.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 08:19   #5

I noticed that about Cornell when I plotted routes from various Central American and Mex locations. Crossing sooner gets around Papagayo and Tehauntepec problems. Leaving from Cabo cuts the single passage in half, so a trade-off.

FWIW, we're working our way up the coast. We have some time to explore as we don't plan to leave HI for AK until roughly June 1. we'll be in Costa Rica through most of March.

Cheers,
Old 14-02-2019, 08:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Considering sailing from Panama N to San Carlos Mexico.

Would depart Panama mid April and look to get to San Carlos for hardstand prior to much hurricane risk.

Is 2-3 months a reasonable time frame to make sure decent cruise of this. Doing long 70 mile days and the occasional overnight/ 2night when the weather is good.

Seemingly predominantly upwind, but understand the wind is often pretty light in this area and no doubt shift around a bit based on weather patterns?

Anyone done a similar route the last few years?

Cheers,
Jeff

Back to the OP, two months isn't any too much. The distances involved work out OK, but it's so very easy to spend a few days in each place. Sometimes you get there on a weekend and port captain/migracion/aduana isn't open (Golfito aduana is closed on Monday), so you spend a few more days. Then you need to get fuel. Maybe there's a trip back to the States. Maybe wait for weather at Golfos de Papagayo and Tehauatepec. We got through the Canal Jan 1 (really) and we'll have to keep moving to get to Cabo by mid-April. A lot of May will be taken up by the passage to HI. It's a long-range schedule, and there's some flexibility, but it's still a schedule.

Cheers,
Old 14-02-2019, 10:07   #7

Jdazey - note that the Eastern Pacific Hurricane season starts May 15 (I brought my boat to San Diego from Puerto Vallarta starting May 24 so I don't worry too much about the start of thee season). A Pacific crossing from Cabo might make me a bit nervous starting June 1 knowing that you have no bail out option through late June. I haven't done it, so just a guess.
Old 14-02-2019, 11:27   #8

Thanks for the note.

Our current plan is to depart Mexico around May10, HI June 1. We might bump that up a bit but don't want to hit the North Pacific too early.

Cheers,
Old 14-02-2019, 12:50   #9

Sounds perfect to me. Safe travels.
Old 14-04-2019, 21:20   #10

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Have you left yet?
Worst slog of my life.
I left last May, a month earlier than planned because my crew was ready to go.
I should have waited for the middle of the summer, when the formation of tropical depressions upset the strong prevailing NW winds.
There is also a 1 knot current against you.
If you can do as Jimmy Cornell suggests, do so.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 06:20   #11

Don't know about the OP. We're in San Jose Del Cabo and will head to Ensenada on about April 25. From there we'll check in at San Diego, head west to 150 and then north to AK.

The slog from Chiapas to Cabo was not pleasant. We ended up leaving late evening and traveling overnight to minimize bucking into the afternoon thermals. We were not the only ones with this strategy.

Cheers,

Tags
Panama