Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2009, 14:37   #16

Boat: Buizen 48
Candidly I don't track berth rental costs of the various locations, though I do follow GH Marina rates, as I rent my two berths at my investment properties for $10 less per week than the GH Marina (but unlike the marina live-aboards are not permitted).

I would concur with your assessment. Regarding work to be done, there are very competent individuals in Whangarei and Opua for most things. The point of difference is there is more choice in who can do it for you in Auckland.

I usually get 3 providers to offer a price to me in Auckland, and usually the price quoted varies substantially, with those providers closest to the marina the most expensive.
BlueSovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 17:19   #17

Boat: Norseman 447
Skip the North Island, too many people and too expensive, Head to the mainland, Nelson-cheap friendly beautiful, lotsa uncrowded cruising gotta love it
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 17:57   #18

I can't deny there is some value in what Nauticatarcher would like you to do, based on the reasons he stated.

However, this also requires many additional days of sailing, either down the West coast of the North Island and across Cook's Strait (no emergency ports down the West Coast and Cook's Strait can and often is "one hell of a piece of work"), or down and around the East Cape and across Cook's Strait (both the East Cape as well as Cook's Strait can and often are "one hell of a piece of work").

Every additional day on an extended voyage in NZ waters increases significantly your running into trouble causing weather. Also Nelson is more costly to fly into and out of, if you are flying overseas. Most International flights are out of Auckland with a few out of Christchurch, the latter a good days drive from Nelson in the South Island.
Old 24-04-2009, 18:30   #19

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSovereign View Post
However, this also requires many additional days of sailing
Isn't that why you own a sailboat?

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 19:24   #20

We're kinda looking for the crowd when we get to NZ. I've never parked the boat in the middle of a large city before. I think it could be fun. If anywhere appeals more than Auckland, Wellington would be it. We have friends there and from what I understand it's a bit of younger crowd with a great nightlife. I'm sure we'll both be ready to get off the boat for a bit after the S. Pacific so I don't have any problems with leaving the boat in the Auckland area and traveling to the south by car.

I'm thinking somewhere like Gulf Harbor sounds good while we return to the states and travel New Zealand by car. Then maybe we'll move down to Auckland proper for a month or so to liveaboard in a city. Then stop back through Whangarei on the way west to Australia for a haul out, paint job, and to get some other stuff done.

Wow...actually sounds like some sort of plan coming together here. I don't like to do much planning but a general sense like this is good to have. At least then I have something to tell my girlfriend's parents when they ask "what's the plan?" This is better than shruggin my shoulders with a "dunno...we'll see when we get there."

Drew
getlostonpurpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 22:00   #21

Location: Working on the new boat getting ready for first shake down cruise. Currently on the east coast of the US.
Boat: Peterson 44.
Hi from Gulf Harbour. We are new liveaboards here having just bought a yacht here needing extensive work. I echo sv bebe (hi you two) in that this is a good marina with great security. If you would like really up to date prices just let me know what size you are and I will go up to the office on Monday and get all the prices for you. If we are still here in Nov and that is very very likely we can help you out with running you round to look at cars etc and anything else you may want. One other thing too - there is a daily ferry service to Auckland from the marina here which is a 45 minute ride. Again if your interested I can find out times (dictated by workers I think not tourists) and prices for you. Just let us know.
S/V Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 22:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
Isn't that why you own a sailboat?
I might be forgiven for thinking you haven't BWC'd between Tonga/Fiji to NZ in a while David (or simply have a bias towards Gulf Harbour perhaps?).

Perhaps you should have read all of my referred to post??? (i.e. "Every additional day on an extended voyage in NZ waters increases significantly your running into trouble causing weather.")

I might also be forgiven for thinking you took my quote out of context ... especially given the original query this thread initiated, and the basis for my posting, namely another poster who like you has a bias, however his is Nelson.

I also suspect Bob McDavitt would concur with me. Perhaps we can both ask him on 17th May perhaps???
Old 24-04-2009, 23:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by getlostonpurpose View Post
We're kinda looking for the crowd when we get to NZ. I've never parked the boat in the middle of a large city before. I think it could be fun. If anywhere appeals more than Auckland, Wellington would be it. We have friends there and from what I understand it's a bit of younger crowd with a great nightlife. I'm sure we'll both be ready to get off the boat for a bit after the S. Pacific so I don't have any problems with leaving the boat in the Auckland area and traveling to the south by car.

I'm thinking somewhere like Gulf Harbor sounds good while we return to the states and travel New Zealand by car. Then maybe we'll move down to Auckland proper for a month or so to liveaboard in a city. Then stop back through Whangarei on the way west to Australia for a haul out, paint job, and to get some other stuff done. Drew
As Col. John "Hannibal" Smith, the cigar-chomping leader of a renegade commando squad, (which included Mr T),use to say: ""I love it when a plan comes together."

Below are the berth rates for Opua, Gulf Harbour, and Westhaven, as well as the ferry schedule/rates for the Gulf Harbour-Auckland ferry:

http://www.opuamarina.co.nz/berthinfo.htm

http://www.gulf-harbour.co.nz/Portals/142/Berth%20Rentals%20October%2008.pdf

http://www.westhaven.co.nz/uploaded/Rental%20Rates1.pdf

http://www.360discovery.co.nz/harbour-ferry-timetable.html

Send me a private message and I'll be happy to be a resource to you.

BTW, both Auckland and Wellington have their fair share of a "younger crowd", with Auckland again offering more options.

William aka 'The PIRATE' (a name given to me 15 years ago when I crewed for others ... and wouldn't take their ****! )
Old 25-04-2009, 00:02   #24
Marine Service Provider

Everyone has either forgotten or don't know about Marsden Cove Marina. This is at the entrance to Whanagrei Harbour so nowhere near the distance up to the town basin (the other Whangarei marina people are referring to here). Great for day sails, fishing, diving, etc and now also an official Entry point into NZ.

But it is in the middle of no where and next door is an oil refinery. 2 big downsides I'd think. But handy if aiming at Whangarei and you get caught by weather maybe. Worth remembering it is there if nothing else.

Also Orakei Marina in Auckland harbour. A brand new boutique type one where a lot of the big knobs park their boats. Handy to Auckland central by bus, decent sized walk, 5min drive. Very safe, secure, well run and arguably the best management of them all.

Getting to be too many choices now. But a lot of very good advise above.

One thing that comes up a bit about the Viaduct marina is the ground swell from passing ferries and boats. They didn't put a good wall in to stop that so a fair bit of movement in there at times, not big just bloody annoying. The other thing heard a bit is the noise, excuse the pun. It is dead smack in the middle of 1 million people and some of those do like to party all night, some quite hard especially going into the silly season, that being late Nov and Dec. The pre-Xmas thing.

Getting work done on your boat is pretty easy at any marina and most locals wouldn't regard Gulf Harbour as being 'out of town' more just a outer suburb. 'Town' being the centre of Auckland.

Also don't plan on having some trades being easy to get in late Nov/Dec. That's when everyone wants stuff done and the same time as the tradesmen are trying to also get their boats ready for the Xmas cruise. This year maybe a bit quieter due to the economic meltdown but be ready for some 'Sorry, I'll not be able to get there this side of Xmas' replies. Best to try and hold off non-essential work until January if you can, you'll find it a lot easier. Either that or try and get onto the pressing issues as soon as you arrive. Basically no-one is available, as a general rule, from one week before Xmas until about 2 or 3 afterwards. They are all away boating

BlueSovereign, ask Bob McDavitt about global warming and watch him damn near overlaod with excitement, it's quite a fun game
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 01:33   #25

I would concur with Gmac's assessment 110%, with the following caveats:
  1. I had totally overlooked Madsen Cove, and most likely as I view it more as a 'far-north of Auckland permanent berth marina' whose transport access is at best limited, which also from a facilities perspective, is still in its embryo stage, with limited facilities.
  2. I currently live within walking distance of Orakei and would concur it offers an excellent facility, is near-brand new, and has great management, AND ... you pay for those benefits.
Given our original poster's expressed needs and desires, I'd still suggest they opt for Westhaven ..... IMHO
Old 25-04-2009, 16:18   #26

Quote:
However, this also requires many additional days of sailing, either down the West coast of the North Island and across Cook's Strait (no emergency ports down the West Coast and Cook's Strait can and often is "one hell of a piece of work...
The west coast route to Nelson does not take one "across Cook Strait". Even if one was to argue that Cook Strait extends well out into the Tasman Sea then one could only claim to be in the very "tame" NW end of Cook Strait which is no worse than any other temperate sea in the region and should not be regarded as an impediment.

The potentially difficult part of Cook Strait is that between Wellington and The Brothers (especially between Wellington and Cape Terawhiti), or less often the Eastern approaches to Wellington. None of these are on the west coast route to Nelson and one would have to be very, very lost to end up in them. They are, of course, as you also say on the East Coast route.

For the original poster - I am a North Islander but my suggestion would be either by boat or by car give most, but not all, of North Island a miss. South Island is the most scenic by far and NZ cities offer nothing (and probably less) than that which is not commonplace in other similar sized cities of the world. If by boat then the only realistic option is Nelson which is well serviced and by car from there - I don't live in any of Nelson, Auckland, Whangarei or Opua so you can regard my comments as being totally unbiased .
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 16:32   #27

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
13th??

Crew.org.nz - the online home of New Zealand sailing

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 16:33   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
The west coast route to Nelson does not take one "across Cook Strait". Even if one was to argue that Cook Strait extends well out into the Tasman Sea then one could only claim to be in the very "tame" NW end of Cook Strait which is no worse than any other temperate sea in the region and should not be regarded as an impediment.

The potentially difficult part of Cook Strait is that between Wellington and The Brothers (especially between Wellington and Cape Terawhiti), or less often the Eastern approaches to Wellington. None of these are on the west coast route to Nelson and one would have to be very, very lost to end up in them. They are, of course, as you also say on the East Coast route. .
Yes, you absolutely correct on Cook Strait matters regarding the West vs. East Coast routes. The message was posted when in the middle of a "blonde moment" , and I apologise for any confusion caused. That aside, as you undoubtedly know, there are not really any "safe harbour" options down the West Coast of the North Island ... and it's a long distance between Cape Reinga and Wellington
Old 25-04-2009, 16:40   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post

Man oh man ... I REALLY was having several "Blonde Moments" yesterday!

I even have the event posted in my diary for the 13th, yet wrote 17th in my post above.

I can't understand what precipitated so many BMs, as there was no margheritas (or the equivalent) consumed yesterday!
Old 25-04-2009, 17:06   #30

Quote:
...I can't understand what precipitated so many BMs, as there was no margheritas (or the equivalent) consumed yesterday!
Must have been all those blondes you consumed then .
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, pacific puddle jump, New Zealand