Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2011, 14:47   #61
cruiser

Re: Nanaimo, BC Changes

Gibsons BC is considering banning anchoring off Gibson's, to force cruisers to pay exorbitant marina fees at their marinas. Ladysmith is considering a similar plan. The sickness is spreading, as predicted.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 15:33   #62

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Fees that support the parks system seem reasonable to me and that is what you are paying for when you tie to a float at Newcastle, the same as at the many wonderful parks in the Gulf Island system.

I can't imagine that the floats wouldn't hold you, Todd.
Well,they don't seem "reasonable" to me.The float requires maintenance-just maybe you can argue that it's ok to screw people there.It's so easy.But the bay was just a mud bottom...at WHAT cost was maintenance there?It's a cash grab.Mostly,the money will go to the effort of "Managing" and "Harvesting" the poor saps that tie to the moorings....another zero sum that makes the "Managers" of this Newage rub their hands in glee.

As to targetting boats,my taxes go to a myriad of parks miles from the ocean that I will never see,highways I will never drive and hospitals (I hope) never to visit.

There was not a problem before.The buoys are a cashgrab plain and simple.
But even worse,they are an eyesore.It was a pretty little bay.

I give up on Nanaimo.I used to be happy to sail in,anchor,spend at least $200 and leave.All at NO COST to Nanaimo's infrastructure.
Considering I did this several times in a year....it added up.
They can recoup these losses by defacing the scenery and hassling the visitors....But it won't be me....
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 15:38   #63

Boat: S2 35c

WARNING , using the moorings at Nanaimo may void your insurance !!
I contacted HUB insurance on the issue of damage caused to your vessel while on the new moorings with a max wind rating of 30 knots . The response was if there is a potential for winds over 30 knots that are publicly available you must remove your boat from the mooring , That would mean if there is a small craft warning (strong wind warning) you would have to move. It would be considered performing your due diligence to check the forecast , if you did not or ignored it and decided to stay you will not not covered by insurance.
Maggie-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 15:56   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinboater View Post
Gibsons BC is considering banning anchoring off Gibson's, to force cruisers to pay exorbitant marina fees at their marinas. Ladysmith is considering a similar plan. The sickness is spreading, as predicted.
Show us the proof Brent or it ain't so.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 16:26   #65

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW

the proof is all around us everywhere you look land lubbers are making changes that directly affect us boaters. the changes may be subtle but they are there. reminds me of a saying. if you put a frog in boiling water it will jump out. put that same frog in room temp water and slowly heat it up it will boil to death. well guess what they are turning up the heat on the boating community for sure.
Old 18-04-2011, 16:27   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinboater View Post

Well said Brent
Old 18-04-2011, 16:31   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
the proof is all around us everywhere you look land lubbers are making changes that directly affect us boaters. the changes may be subtle but they are there. reminds me of a saying. if you put a frog in boiling water it will jump out. put that same frog in room temp water and slowly heat it up it will boil to death. well guess what they are turning up the heat on the boating community for sure.
The world is changing. Populations are increasing. Change happens.

That's not proof for Brent's claim and given his record in this thread I think it is as reasonable to presume it's not true as it is.

Old 18-04-2011, 16:39   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... reminds me of a saying. if you put a frog in boiling water it will jump out. put that same frog in room temp water and slowly heat it up it will boil to death ...
Why use an inaccurate metaphor to make your point?
A frog will jump out of the warming water long before it boils.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 16:42   #69

Boat: Silverton 42

Perhaps I missed the post that the 'reasonable man' wrote - something to the effect that the moorings are usually placed in congested areas to maximize use (maximize boats per area). The fees aren't too bad - I'd prefer free - but I don't object to supporting the cost of collecting fees, placing and maintaining moorings and the other administrative costs. Cheers,
Bill
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 16:51   #70

Boat: Triton 24

I'm not personally aware of the Nanaimo situation (though I have visited there, many years ago - beautiful place). In my neck of the woods I've noticed that government regulations and restrictions have increased and that this is a source of much irritation for many people. I've found that in most cases the irritation is due mostly to people being denied something that has been previously accessible to them. Fair enough. OTOH I've also found that these areas and resources have had increasing pressure on them over the years, as populations and urbanisation increases. They are being 'loved to death' and have become degraded and crowded due to overusage. In these cases - yes, it's fair for people to be upset that they can't freely walk/drive/park/anchor in their favourite spot, but it's also fair, and even necessary, that restrictions are applied. Tragedy of the commons.
genomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 17:25   #71

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Why use an inaccurate metaphor to make your point?
A frog will jump out of the warming water long before it boils.

i never claimed it was factual just using a popular phrase to express the similarities to what this thread is about.
Old 18-04-2011, 17:57   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lee View Post
Perhaps I missed the post that the 'reasonable man' wrote - something to the effect that the moorings are usually placed in congested areas to maximize use (maximize boats per area). The fees aren't too bad - I'd prefer free - but I don't object to supporting the cost of collecting fees, placing and maintaining moorings and the other administrative costs. Cheers,
Bill
Your boat is too big to fit on any of the moorings, The issue is the moorings are not rated for large vessels or winds over thirty knots.
Old 18-04-2011, 18:01   #73

Quote:
i never claimed it was factual just using a popular phrase to express the similarities to what this thread is about.

You may be right who is say Gord is correct , I didn't see any proof provided so we must assume what Gord says is also a fabrication
Old 18-04-2011, 18:06   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bill's boat being 42 feet would probably be fine on the 40 foot moorings.

You can find, within this thread, Brent making statements that verifiably aren't true.

Old 18-04-2011, 18:09   #75

[QUOTE=hummingway;669499]Bill's boat being 42 feet would probably be fine on the 40 foot moorings.

I'm sure Bill's insurance company will value your opinion