Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 13:48   #1

Marina Del Rey Bareboats?

My oldest son will be living in LA this fall. We were thinking of chartering a 33-41' sailboat and sailing to Catalina for a few days. As most of you know, the websites have great looking pictures, but sometimes the real deal is less than ideal.

Does anyone have any suggestions for charter companies in the area. The boat does not have to be new but clean and well maintained would be nice. Thanks.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 14:46   #2

To the best of my knowledge, there are no charter boats available in Marina del Rey. If you take classes at one local ASA sailing schools &/or join their "charter programs", there are some boats available to charter out. Google - Bluewater Sailing in Marina del Rey and California Sailing Academy in Marina del Rey. Bluewater has much much nicer boats...newer and cleaner. I have no affiliation with either, but have passed boats from both fleets while out on the water. Good luck. The island is beautiful. Make sure to check out Avalon and the Isthmus.
jpcraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 15:43   #3

There is a company named water sailing">Blue Water Sailing in MDR that has fairly decent prices. Has anyone had any experience with them?
Old 09-07-2008, 20:48   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
We sail with Blue Water Sailing when I visit my brother in LA.

There has to be a member and it was a reasonable fee. There are no monthly dues and a checkout is required.

I joined on behalf of my brother (I paid his fee) so he is the member and he got the roughly 4 hour checkout on a catalina 27 which I was allowed to crew on after the check skipper quized me on a couple of things - no "freeloader" passengers for the check out. The check out is both a safety/rules of the road questionaire on shore and then an onwater test.

The boat is excellent & the people are nice. They have smaller boats and larger boats up to a Hunter 41 I think.

We haven't chartered for any extended period, just day sails.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:53   #5

I have a decent sailing resume and the ASA stamps for 3 courses included bareboat chartering. I was hoping that the company would cut me a little slack. I can't blame them for wanting to check out the charter customers. It is always a good idea to learn about where the through hulls are, any quirks with the boat, etc.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:12   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I am pretty sure it is an insurance requirement. Tghe checkout was pretty easy and the other worthwhile part was learning the traffic scheme getting into and out of the harbor. It is one of the most crowded places I have sailed.

The weekend we were out there were dinghy races going on in the harbor and all manner of boats going in and out.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I am pretty sure it is an insurance requirement. Tghe checkout was pretty easy and the other worthwhile part was learning the traffic scheme getting into and out of the harbor. It is one of the most crowded places I have sailed.

The weekend we were out there were dinghy races going on in the harbor and all manner of boats going in and out.

Thanks Ex-Calif. I have sailed a lot through Bolivar Roads in Texas (Houston Ship Channel, Galveston Channel, Texas City Channel and Gulf ICW converge) and I know it can be very helpful to have had someone in the know advising you before you go there. Thank you for your help.