Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2008, 16:12   #1

Boat: Samson C-Breeze, 50ft - Wiskun
Arrow Marina and Boatyard Update - Samal, South Philippines

I have just updated my website with information on the marina and boatyard - plus info on the Gulf of Davao. Some readers were asking the same questions so I just added them into the website. Unfortunately, I still don't have the pricing structure. I will update the site as soon as I know them plus add more pictures as the construction progresses. You can click on "Sailor's Lair" in the site - I have the pictures there plus the proposed layout of the marina.
Old 25-11-2008, 14:37   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Great shots of the lift, and work going on. When you say 18 feet. Is that as wide as the keels can be for a cat?. Can they add a platform to make it wider? Imagine is 23'3' wide, but I don't know the center to center of the keels. I am thinking 18ft. will be a close call. Thanks for all the pics, and updates.

I am wondering what kind of interest is being shown. That will, or will not fill the marina quickly. Is there hear say about other boaters moving from say Cebu, etc. etc.?....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 15:40   #3

Boat: Samson C-Breeze, 50ft - Wiskun
Hi I2F, thanks - I am not so familiar with cats, but we have seen a fair number in Whangarei boatyard where he specializes with the hauling of cats. He had some specialized platform, with hydraulics I believe. Here, it is not that fancy. You can place planks right across. You want steel bars? They will put steel bars. I am not joking, sometimes they go overboard in trying to please you. They ask and you say - that's ok, no need, the next thing you know, there it is!

No, I haven't heard of other boats in the PHilippines coming over to Davao. They haven't been advertising outside, not even in the local papers.

I did get an email from Vanuatu - this year, it seems like there are several talks of routes between vanuatu and the philippines. This is the same route we have taken and when we did it last year, it was a very lonely passage. Not too much info either, and a lot of "not a smart move".

Regardless, I believe it is a combination of several factors: the Piracy in Somalia, the economy, and more info available out there. Those who plan to sail to europe through from Oz-Bali-Malacca are thinking twice now and excited to try alternative routes. Those affected by the economy are lured by the low costs in the Philippines or SE Asia. And we were with a German net all the way - speaking English - lots of them listening to our difficulties, but we did it . I don't know, but I sure would like to get other cruisers' take on this.

Tags
boatyards, Philippines, samal